WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fleece Blanket as an insulator?

I've had my HH for awhile now and I dont really wanna drop the cash for an underquilt, so I've been looking at potential alternatives to help insulate the hammock. I've used a second sleeping bag and ive used a thermarest, but neither seem like good solutions. Has anyone tried using something as simple as a fleece blanket? I have a nice one that doesnt weigh much that seems like it could work, and if nothing else i wont get bit by skeeters through the nylon. But would that be enough to help insulate a hammock? Or is something more substantial needed to eliminate the notorious cold underside? (I use a mont bell down #5 bag).

If not a fleece blanket, what would be a cheap, light, alternative... please dont say 'space blanket' cause that sound drives me nuts.
    Adirondack Voyageur

blue wally wolrd CCF pad with a couple corners trimmed is what I use - cheap

the fleece blanket should be good however assuming it doesn't get much below about 50 deg F

Images

There are a couple of threads that discuss fleece blankets as hammock insulation over at www.hammockforums.net. General thought are that fleece is to heavy and doen't compress well for the amout of insulation it provides. I'm sure it would work fine for warmer summer temps.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

I'm not sure that there's anything with more insulative power for the weight than CCF. I do use a light fleece throw over my pad to mitigate condensation, an idea I got from Sgr Rock's site. It's so thin it can't have any insulative value but it seems to work on the condensation, i.e., when I use the fleece there's no condensation under my shoulders. But then, when I use the fleece there's no hippopotami in camp either but I don't really think it's a repellant...

Try one of the extra wide pads...because of their size they don't slip much in the hammock and when they cup around the shoulders they provide insulation there and wind block. While others question the low temp range I squeeze out of my Oware, everyone should be comfortable into the mid-30s with it, IMO. 60X40X¼" = 7oz. The new ones are thinner and 6oz, $27.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

i have one of those thin and rather tacky feeling rubber yoga mats that's I've trimmed to fit within my hammock...great skeeter block....

Well I guess I should add that I'm really going for comfort here. the Fleece is easily the biggest thing in my pack, larger then the hammock and the sleeping bag. But its very light, and its comfortable. Pads in a hammock dont feel comfortable, they take away from that lovely hammock feeling. A fleece wouldnt take away that great feeling. But it sounds like you need more then just the fleece, because of the wind. How about something homemade, like stiching or taping a space blanket/electric blanket to the fleece and having that on the underside. I imagine the fleece would prevent the condensation and the space blanket could reflect heat back up as well as shield from wind... Hopefully if its underneath the fleece it wont make a ton of noise... what do you guys think?
    Adirondack Voyageur

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I think it doesn't get very cold in the appalachians
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

well I use this for my job, I am a guide at a scout camp in the Adirondacks for late june to late august. It can get down to 30 some nights, and in Late August it isnt entirely uncommon to get frosts and even snowflakes.
    Adirondack Voyageur

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

golly jeez..30 above,,,

would you even need a sleeping bag for a temp that warm??
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Rev...Rob,

I once used a fleece bag w/ an old WW foam pad, a wool sweater, a fleece cap, a precip rain jacket, my drybag, my pack, my pillow, my trash bag into the mid 30s in a blustery wind for 2 nights in a hammock.

Convinced me the JRB underquilt was a wonderful piece of gear to own. Discomfort is a strong motivator.

Save your money & get the gear

Egads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionist_Rob View Post
    Well I guess I should add that I'm really going for comfort here. the Fleece is easily the biggest thing in my pack, larger then the hammock and the sleeping bag. But its very light, and its comfortable. Pads in a hammock dont feel comfortable, they take away from that lovely hammock feeling. A fleece wouldnt take away that great feeling. But it sounds like you need more then just the fleece, because of the wind. How about something homemade, like stiching or taping a space blanket/electric blanket to the fleece and having that on the underside. I imagine the fleece would prevent the condensation and the space blanket could reflect heat back up as well as shield from wind... Hopefully if its underneath the fleece it wont make a ton of noise... what do you guys think?
    I did this after reading about it on the HH website, I believe--took a large car window shade-thingie (one of those fold out silver things you buy to put in your front car window to cool the car--a heat reflector)...then I bought some cheap fleece at walmart and some heavy duty velcro. Velcroed it to the bottom of the heat reflector thingie and carried it with me instead of a sleep pad. Worked quite well, although I wouldn't personally use it in lower temps, b/c I sleep quite cold. But it didn't slide as much as a regular pad and provided a goodly amount of insulation. I've used it in shelters as well (although I prefer something a little more padded).

Have fun. Gum.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Do the math....

A UQ sized piece of fleece will weigh more than a down UQ and be only half the warmth for any model of approximate equal weight..... plus it will be 2-3 times as bulky because it does not compress well.... and it is not wind resistent.... yes, you can get wind proof fleece but then all things negative get worse, ie, much heavier, bulkier, and more expense.

But, give it a try, you may like it.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

I was out last night, using a 45*f fleece sleeping bag in my Hennessy Desert Rat. As the temperature fell to the high 50s, I added a car shade sleeping pad, a hat and my backup space blanket.

Those newer poly laminated space blankets aren't bad for noise.

Next time I go out, though, I'm going to try a CC foam pad.

How do most people attach those rolled up pads to the backpack?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWhips View Post
    I was out last night, using a 45*f fleece sleeping bag in my Hennessy Desert Rat. As the temperature fell to the high 50s, I added a car shade sleeping pad, a hat and my backup space blanket.

Those newer poly laminated space blankets aren't bad for noise.

I have a frameless pack so I just roll mine up and use it as frame.
    Many use the straps on the outside of their packs or use a bungy cord.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

Roll it into a tube and stick it vertically inside your pack. Let it expand, then stuff your gear inside...it'll be the frame.

Or fold it, depending on size and thickness.

Or roll it like a scroll from both ends and strap it to the outside...that'll make it a bit more manageable than a huge roll.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWhips View Post
    <clip>

one reason i really like my GG Vapor Trail pack is that the design is deal for attaching a ccf pad to - the straps on the front of the pack are long enough to get a rolled up 72" long, 3/8" ccf pad in without strap extensions.....i've even rolled up a TR Guidelite inside the ccf and got the entire bundle on the pack w/o modifications.....

http://www.granitegear.com/products/...ail/index.html#
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Images

Taking almost all of the advice, I've decided I only need a 3/4 pad and it straps on using straps from the pack and bungee cords.

I know it looks like a suspenders and belt thing, but the bungees hold a few things together and I can move them all out of the way when I want to really rummage through the pack.

http://www.coyotewhips.com/photos/mybag.jpg

++ New Posts ++