WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Do I really need JB Weld?

I made a mini zen stove the other night (Red Bull top, V8 bottom, inner wall). Home Depot was out of JB Weld, so I figured I'd make one without it as a test run.

It went together pretty easily and of course I had to fire it up. It worked well with no flame leaks anywhere. I made a second one last night with no JB and again it seems to work great.

So, do I really need to weld? The fit between top and bottom is tight and the inner wall already has the small notches at the bottom, so I can't see why it would need to be air tight.

Images

I think you answered your own question

My last 5 stoves have been made without it. Different style, but no JB weld in sight.

By the way, it may be too late to turn back now, but I need to warn you anyway: You are now on the slippery slope to DIY addiction, soon you will be making "Tarps & packs & clothing OhMY!"
    You have been warned.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Awesome, thank you. I'm pretty well acquainted with the sewing bug already. I'm looking forward to slipping into stove madness.

How about over time expanding and contracting? Any chance of it loosening up or anything?

I make them with and without JB Weld. I can't tell any difference in performance or durability whatever style I make. I also rub most of them with 000 or 0000 steel wool. Makes them look really nice - a real bright shine..
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Awesome, thank you. I'm pretty well acquainted with the sewing bug already. I'm looking forward to slipping into stove madness.

How about over time expanding and contracting? Any chance of it loosening up or anything?
    Not in my experience.

My theory is that leaving the paint/ink on the inner can helps to seal it during the initial burn.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Excellent. I like the idea of being able to make one with stuff I can get from any convenience store.

I'm a polishing fool. #0 to get the paint off then #000 to shine it up real pretty. Just did two cans during a super boring phone meeting here at work.

There is another option. It will take practice. Cut the end that will be on the outside, a little long. Then, with a small propane torch (or other heat source) shrink the extra metal around the inner can. It seals, looks NICE!!!! and is easy to do! (with a fair amout of practice as stated above)
    Because the Journey is not just a begining and an end...

My Thru Hike

Images

That sounds interesting. Any pictures?

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

I've never used JB weld once making any of the 4 dozen or so stoves I've tinkered with.
    You are in heaven.

++ New Posts ++