WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hair Care...dreadlocks while hiking

I have had my dreads for about a year this month, give or take. (May-June) I've done alot of traveling and being a dirty kid with the dreadies, however, I've grown quite proud and attatched to them over the year as I take care of them more. I've seen, and heard of a few dreadies that have hiked, thru-hiked the trail and I'm wondering if there is anything to be done specifically for the dreadlocks as far as keeping them clean, and most importantly, bug free. The added dynamic of being in a thru-hike setting for several months does change my regimine for taking care of them dramatically. I've used rubbing alchohol on the nape of my neck in the past, and I check for ticks more extensivley than most due to the dreads. Any other dread heads out there with an expereince to share, or advice on the subject? I'm afriad wearing repelling oils in the hair and scalp will not be enough. I plan on thru-hiking in the 08' season.

I started my dreads on my '96 thru of the PCT and still have them.
    Have completed that thru and 3 more since then plus some overseas thrus.
    I shampoo my hair just like i did before i had dreads.
    They are not dirty. (even my Thai wife who takes 3 showers a day and is into cleanliness more than most will attest to this) She would not allow me to have dirty hair.
    I will say that my dreads are a lot thinner than they used to be. I am getting older, my hair grows a lot slower than it used to, and (probably the most important reason my 1 1/2 yr. old son loves to pull on them and breaks them off. So, i now have about half of what i used to have.
    I do keep them thin by ripping thicker ones in half from time to time. I believe the thicker clumps are harder to keep clean.
    One problem with ripping out while hiking is that they tend to get between the pack and my back when i put it on so i must be careful to keep them out of the way. This would again cause them to break off. Your age looks like it will allow you to grow them back fast though.
    On the AT, i usually hit a town and a good shower and hair shampoo on average of once a week if not a little sooner.
    Also, while hiking, i like to go for a swim when i get the chance.
    Anyway, ignore the abuse you will most likely get here on whiteblaze. You can PM me if you have any other questions. Dreads are not so rare out there and are not necessarily dirty things. Go with your gut feeling and HYOH.

Images

Bravo!!!
    I can't believe you started growing them back in 96, its been along time!
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Easiest fix.

BLISTER!!! OMG!!!! I remember you!! I was hanging out with Mala in Colorado last summer for the Rainbow Gathering, I met you and Pack Rat on your triple crown! We stayed with Sam in Steamboat? I met everyone at Trail Days (after some crazy train hopping and hiking experiences, Mala took me under his wing along with Jester and The Dude) and then travled with Mala for the summer, the AT expereince has stuck with me for so long, so here I am, planning my first thru-hike, nice to see you on here!

SOO - the dreads. I keep mine very clean, spraying with an apple cider vinegar, rosemary, sage, neem and nettle leaf tincure when not being washed and rolling them most everynight. I do have some that are pretty thick, and would like to split them, they're not very long, so they won't be getting caught in my pack (yet, they're only about a year, so they're still sort of shoulder length)

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there should be any concern or if there is anything to do to protect them from the elements if you will, I've grown quite 'parent like' protective of them. The first one that fell out, I cried! AHaha - then of course gave it to someone special, so weird, but it was my dread man, there's alot of love in that clump of hair!

I must be getting old.
    Roland

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

OK, I'll admit it -- I'm old and clueless --- How do you get your hair to stay twisted into dreadlocks? Does the process damage the hair? (I note some mention breakage).
    ::: Dino contemplates getting dreadlocks, but knows he-dino would likely run screaming from she-dino :::

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I must be getting old.
    Welcome to my world. Better than the not getting old option, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Welcome to my world. Better than the not getting old option, however.

Yep, you're right, Nightwalker. Getting old beats the alternative.
    Roland

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: Dino consults DirtNap for views on alternative :::

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    I have had my dreads for about a year this month, give or take. (May-June) I've done alot of traveling and being a dirty kid with the dreadies, however, I've grown quite proud and attatched to them over the year as I take care of them more.............................................. ............................

i thought you guys SHAVED your heads @ the end of your hike...stuffed the "dreads" in a jar & proudly displayed them on a shelf!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    OK, I'll admit it -- I'm old and clueless --- How do you get your hair to stay twisted into dreadlocks? Does the process damage the hair? (I note some mention breakage).
    ::: Dino contemplates getting dreadlocks, but knows he-dino would likely run screaming from she-dino :::
    I've never had dreadlocks (at least not intentionally! Maybe once or twice I formed one by accident....) but as I understand it, they are made by binding the hair together until it tangles/fuses and actually grows together. The individual hairs biodegrade and melt into one big solid lock of hair. I think once you get them started, they keep on fusing at the roots (correct me if I'm wrong).

My very hairy dog used to get these when the dense fur on her back legs would tangle and fuse. They are impossible to comb out; they can only be clipped out. If someone with dreads decides they don't want them any more, I think they pretty much have to shave their head and start over.

I never considered what they'd be like to care for during hiking, but I can understand why you'd want to keep them free of dirt and burrowing wildlife as much as possible.

My only comparable experience was when I was in Jamaica and a nice local lady braided corn rows for me (multiple French braids from the front to the back of my scalp, with the excess braids falling behind my shoulders-- I've got very long hair). When she'd done them, I understood why so many Jamaicans wore such hairstyles... it was wonderfully cool and comfortable, and kept my hair out of the way. I think it also made it easier to cope with long hair in an environment where showers were hard to come by. But when I did shower, I found I could shampoo the braids just as I normally did my hair, and they came clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post

i thought you guys SHAVED your heads @ the end of your hike...stuffed the "dreads" in a jar & proudly displayed them on a shelf!

HAHAahAha!!! Don't forget we also grind them up and turn them into wine and then toast other dreadie thru-hikers that may come our way throughout the years! Hmmm....tastes like trail...

You don't have to completley shave your head, they can be clipped out, and you're left with just really short hair. The first two inches (give or take) of your roots, will never dread, so it's just a really big hair cut when one is ready to be rid of them. I started mine with braids, over time they become dreads and they will grow as such.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    How do you get your hair to stay twisted into dreadlocks?
    I've always been curious about that as well. I've always thought the baby dreads, a.k.a. "worm hair" to be one of the coolest looking things in the world.

Normally, I keep my hair too short to even comb, but when it grows, it just turns afro on its on. The dreadlocks look a lot less hot to deal with to me.

Screw the folks making fun of you. Some folks would make fun of Mother Theresa pushing a kid in a wheelchair.

get a damn haircut.
    DamnMuscher

Default Dreads

Just an explanation of how they work. When you initially do them, its called backcombing. You brush with a metal comb towards the scalp causing the hair to mesh together. First of all, dreads are not "dirty" as some people would think.

I have heard of people using Dr Bronners to keep them clean on the trail. It also keeps them tight. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by damush View Post
    get a damn haircut.
    Not till you grow 'em long, clean and manageable. Locks4love. Give your hair to those who have none. All you do is blow dope smoke on yours anyways....

Default My take...

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post

You can't be an ultralighter (or even a thruhiker who honestly can say he's purged every gram from his load that's not useful for hiking) with long-@ss hair.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++