WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Re-Supply White House Landing

Yep! , Katahdin is just about on the radar screen. Hopefully summit day on Oct 5.

Are there any '06 thru hikers (or anyone that just knows) that can advise what food items might be available at WHL for food re-supply?

'Light is right" and I just don't want to carry more than necessary.

Happy Trails,

QuickSilver on Katahdin 10-5-07

call them and ask. 207-745-5116. no need to post the question in 4 different threads

Default re: white house landing re-supply

Since LW is so reticent I shall answer your post.

White House landing has the basics...snickers bars to liptons. Expect to pay premium price (ie more than you expect) on everything. Getting food there means carrying less through the 100 mile wilderness.

If you go there, don't foget the famous 1 pound hamburgers and cheeseburgers. You could also spend night. Everything costs extra.
    Boat pick up only at certain times.

They will take credit cards..for a surcharge.

David (snickers class of 06)

PS I presume you know there is also re-supply available at Abol Bridge!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    [LEFT]Since LW is so reticent I shall answer your post.
    you were there a year or so ago. things change. better to call the source.

It is a violation of the merchant agreement to charge a surcharge to take a credit card. It also is against the law in many states...I don't know in Maine.

They can lose the right to accept credit cards by charging the surcharge.

Quote Originally Posted by thestin View Post

It is a violation of the merchant agreement to charge a surcharge to take a credit card. It also is against the law in many states...I don't know in Maine.

Cleverly, I believe (assuming my memory is right) that the surcharge is actually for the satellite phone call to place the credit card charge, not for the credit card. Maybe I'm mis-remembering though...

Still, they are trying to make a living. They aint getting rich off us hikers! They do most of their buisness with the snowmobilers in the winter who have far more cash than those cheap thru hikers! Of course, a lot of hikers will pay a large sum for a burger at that point (if you ask me, it was reasonably priced though!)

Gravity

Cleverly, I believe (assuming my memory is right) that the surcharge is actually for the satellite phone call to place the credit card charge, not for the credit card. Maybe I'm mis-remembering though...

That's interesting. I bet if you advised your credit card company of it, they would still consider it a surcharge. The cost of the satellite call is just a cost of doing business.

Any idea what the surcharge was? Sat phone time can be expensive.

Default re: white House Landing

I was there in 2006 and paid via credit card. They have to call out the authroization via cell phone which is the rational they use for a surcharge. I forget what it was exactly (so this may be totally inaccurate) but I think it was something like 5 bucks up to 50 dollars and 5 % there after.

LW yes..I was there a year a go and things could change. 2007 thru hikers handbook would probably have latest rates. ALternatively one cou ld call them. But why not just consult the handbook. I am sure though..if costs have changed it is only upward!

DavidNH

They have to call out the authroization via cell phone

If that's the case, then that's a bogus surcharge. I'm sure if someone complained to MC or Visa, they would be required to stop charging it.

According to this article. Maine is one of the states that prohibits surcharges for credit card transactions.
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...llspent21.html

Geezer

They have to call out the authroization via cell phone

If that's the case, then that's a bogus surcharge. I'm sure if someone complained to MC or Visa, they would be required to stop charging it.
    No, why would they absorb the cast of a satellite phone call (cells don't work up there) so that hikers can charge instead of paying cash? They would simply stop taking charge cards. That would be real helpful, don't you think?

It's not a bogus charge. No one is being forced into paying or tricked into paying. No one has to pay the satellite phone surcharge now if they don't want to. They can pay cash if they want, or if they need to, can pay the phone call surcharge and use a card.

Why are so so insistent on taking this choice away? If you don't like it, just go don't go there, all right? Or pay cash if you ever go there. Those of us that do want to go and use a charge card are not complaining.
    Frosty

I doubt if I'll be at this place anytime soon. If you want to pay the surcharge, that's fine. My point is that the surcharge is both a violation of the merchant agreement and Maine law. Doing business in a remote location is not a reason to not follow the law.

Accepting credit cards brings additional business to companies. That's why they accept them. And, that's why they pay a fee to the credit card companies. My gut feeling is that the surcharge is more about the fee and less about the cost of the call.

And you're wrong...you are forced into paying a surcharge if you use the credit card...and that is illegal.

~~~

...you are forced into paying a surcharge if you use the credit card...and that is illegal.
    What if White House Landing's policy was to not accept credit cards? What if a customer came in, without cash, and desperately needed supplies? What if the store owners offered to accommodate the customer and accept the customer's card, if the customer was willing to pay for the call?

Would you still say that is illegal?

Some might say it was damn good service.
    Roland

Default Hikers don't tip?

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    No, why would they absorb the cast of a satellite phone call (cells don't work up there) so that hikers can charge instead of paying cash? They would simply stop taking charge cards. That would be real helpful, don't you think?

It's not a bogus charge. No one is being forced into paying or tricked into paying. No one has to pay the satellite phone surcharge now if they don't want to. They can pay cash if they want, or if they need to, can pay the phone call surcharge and use a card.

Why are so so insistent on taking this choice away? If you don't like it, just go don't go there, all right? Or pay cash if you ever go there. Those of us that do want to go and use a charge card are not complaining.
    When I got my bill at White House Landing, I added the normal 15% tip to the total. Bill was very appreciative. Apparently hikers don't normally tip.

I can't believe how many people complain about the prices at White House Landing. It isn't like there are a lot of other choices and certainly isn't a case where Bill and Linda are getting rich off of hikers.
    Shutterbug

The problem with your example is that it is still gouging and still illegal. Say I run out of gas and roll into the nearest gas station. Should they be able to charge me a "surcharge" because I need the gas more than a person who has 2 gallons left in the tank?

Bottom line, the surcharge is illegal.

The problem with your example is that it is still gouging and still illegal. Say I run out of gas and roll into the nearest gas station. Should they be able to charge me a "surcharge" because I need the gas more than a person who has 2 gallons left in the tank?

That is a ridiculous analogy!

In my example, the customer didn't have the cash to pay for his order. An accommodation was offered. The customer can accept or reject the offer.

That is not illegal.
    Roland

call them and tell them. 207-745-5116

That is not illegal.

Any extra charge for using a credit card is a surcharge and is illegal.

You wanna pay it, fine.

call them and tell them. 207-745-5116

Well, I would, but I would have to charge them a surcharge for the cost of the long distance call

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post

Are there any '06 thru hikers (or anyone that just knows) that can advise what food items might be available at WHL for food re-supply?
    You'll leave with a full belly and will be just a few days from Abol Bridge, and you can pack out sandwiches, candy bars, and fresh fruit too. Their stock will vary (especially at the end of the season), but they'll have basics like ramen, beef jerky, mac'n'cheese and Liptons. Nice people, wonderful location, a true throwback to way Earl Shaffer traveled from camp to camp across Maine.
    And concerning the negatives and complaints: you'll find the loudest come from people who have never been there.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++