WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I used my 30 degree bag until Daleville, VA. then I swapped to a 15 degree bag. It was none too soon as there was a very cold, rainy week at that time in mid October, with a bit of snow as well. If I had waited until Pearisburg to swap out my bag, I would have been pretty cold for a few days.

I did hike with a couple of other SOBOs who used 20 degree Cat's Meows the whole way. A 20 degree bag is a nice compromise for those using a single bag for a SOBO hike.

Images

I'm going SOBO late July to Aug 1rst. I have a 20 year old Sierra Designs bag that was originally rated -20. Obviously that is no longer the case. I have been hiking with it lately this winter and it keeps me warm into the 20's. I sleep in a hammock with a closed cell foam pad and tarp. If it gets really cold, I pitch the tarp low. My question is, will this bag suffice for the entire hike since i'm starting in Maine later in the summer? I am doing this thing on a tight budget and am trying to avoid buying a bag. I like my bag. I can always sleep on top if its warm or not use it at all, right?
    There are two grades to a mountain, either you can do it or you can't.

Images

Hiking the trail SOBO, you are automatically inducted into a proud little clan - welcome - you will make life-long friends SOBO - nothing against NOBOS but there are more of them ...... you might like a 20 deg bag in NH depending on the weather but you will be hitting that state at the optimal time so your regular, generic 32-40 degree bag might be just fine - especially if you have a nalgene bottle to make a hot-water bottle with .... The place where you will get cold is NC/TN - DO NOT underestimate the fall / winters down-south - there will be snow in October in the Smokies almost always. I would transition to a down bag in Erwin,TN - Uncle Johnnies Hostel will hold it for you. I recommend a Western Mountaineering Versalite 5 Degree bag - if you are running late, you might want to get it as soon as Damascus VA - Mt. Rogers Outfitters or the Hiker's Inn, or the PO there would be good drop locations. Best of luck on your SOBO!!

Forget a 30 degree bag in 30 degree temps. when you are half-starved, wet, and dehydrated. I have personal stories, but to save you the boredom, here's the gist: I've been cold in a bag rated to -70 at 30 degrees - really! (and I had used it in -20 weather in an open shelter, comfortably, when well fed, rested, and dry). I was tired, dehydrated, hungry, and damp from sweat. I shivered in that bag for about an hour before I finally got warm enough to melt some snow and make dinner.
    Get a good bag rated at least 10 degrees colder than you think you're likely to experience and wear warm clothes in it or use a vapor barrier liner (the only kind of liner worth buying for very cold temperatures).
    Liners are single use items and make it difficult to get into and out of the bag. I've used them, and have reverted to wearing long underwear, socks, and a hat. That way when I get out to pee in the middle of the night I won't be freezing when I exit the bag.
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-27-2012 at 23:29.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarella View Post
    I'm going SOBO late July to Aug 1rst. I have a 20 year old Sierra Designs bag that was originally rated -20. Obviously that is no longer the case. I have been hiking with it lately this winter and it keeps me warm into the 20's. I sleep in a hammock with a closed cell foam pad and tarp. If it gets really cold, I pitch the tarp low. My question is, will this bag suffice for the entire hike since i'm starting in Maine later in the summer? I am doing this thing on a tight budget and am trying to avoid buying a bag. I like my bag. I can always sleep on top if its warm or not use it at all, right?
    How fast are you going to hike? Big difference in a 4 month hike ending Dec 1 and a 6 month hike ending Feb 1. Even so, anytime after Oct you may want a warmer bag especially once you get back to higher elevations in VA. And you may want to be prepared gear wise to "go to ground" in a winter storm as early as mid-October. Can your hammock tarp be pitched as a teepee? Is it big enough / right shape, etc.? Unless you have "doors" for the tarp and an underquilt it sounds like a cold setup for true winter conditions.

Journal Entries
    Images

I been packing a high end 20 degree bag. That said the pad is the key. Kids been using that bulkly winshield thing. Hell the liner to that been on the trail for years. My experience is the bag plus a big agnus pad and a sheet underneath. On them there cold nights up north. Then again guess I sleep warm.

Images

I have a solite aluminum reflective pad for my hammock and an 8x10 rectangular silnylon tarp. I am getting a liner for my bag that adds 15 degrees of warmth. I am switching to a tent and thermarest at either Harper's Ferry or Damascus. I plan to finish around Dec 28,29. Thanks for all the input. I always sleep in thermal underwear, a down vest, gloves, down booties and a hat, when its cold. Some times, more.

I'm going with my -40 degree military issue sleep system. Hot or cold, take something off or put it back on, no worries here. It will be worth the weight I'm thinking.

Images

I'm testing my 20 year old -20 down bag this weekend, coupled with a brand new Reactor Sleeping bag liner and an aluminized solite pad in my hammock. The temps are supposed to be down in the 20's. Should be a good test.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

I'm taking my Mt. Hardwear synth 0 degree bag for the whole trip, + a silk liner to use as a sheet for the warm nights and to boost my comfort when I'm dehydrated/freezing outside.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

So far, my plan is my Big Agnes Peggy (15 degree down bag) with the Big Agnes Insulated Air core pad. I will be getting some sort of liner to use in warm weather and for extra warmth in colder temps. I don't plan on nor can I afford two bags to switch out, so I think I've got may bases covered with this selection, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Big agnes Mystic sl 15 degrees 2lb 4oz,im starting SOBO june 3 and just planning on using one bag.

Resurrection of a dead thread.......what are you 2013ers bringing? I am still on the fence about one bag or two.

I am bringing a polyester bag liner and I currently have a 20 degree synthetic that I plan on replacing with one or two bags for my thru. If i went with two I would get a down summer bag between 30 and 45 degrees and a down winter bag between 0 and 15 degrees. If I went with one I think I would go with a 15 degree down bag with a full zipper.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Tree Nerd:

I'm starting june 1st with a 15* down bag. My plan is to mail that home somewhere around VT/MA and trade it for my 45* bag plus a liner. I'm sure I'll want to switch back before the end, but I'm hoping to finish by mid-late october so I'm not sure exactly where that will happen. I've spent the last two summers in the Whites, and I can say that it's worth having a warmer bag than you think you need. I've woken up on an August morning to find frozen water, and I've roasted in June. So, I guess nothing is perfect, but it might not be a bad idea for you to think about a 15* bag.
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

Journal Entries
    Images

I recently purchased a military modular bag. It's the same as a layering concept with 3 attaching layers and a gortex bivy. You can get a used one under $100

I've got a north face dolomite 40* down and a liner. I am a warm sleeper, but it's done me wonders hiking 3 seasons the Smoky's throughout college.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++