WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tarp Decisions

Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! Tobit's Avatar

Default Tarp Decisions

My biggest dilema: How do you decide on one item when you have five or six to choose from that will all do the job?

I'm looking at putting together my first tarp. I want a simple ultralight tarp that I can put up in various configurations. I don't want to spend $200+ on something like a TarpTent or a Six Moon Wild Oasis. Ideally, I want to spend $100 or less. However, with that said, I am a big fan of Cuben Fiber and half tempted to spend $300 on a Cuben Fiber tarp from MLD or oware. Go figure, I can justify the cost of a simple Cuben Fiber tarp but I can't seem to justify $200 on a tarptent. Money really isn't the issue as I could find the way to get a $300 Cuben Fiber tarp if I want it bad enough. It just doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do for saving 4 or 5 ounces although it is quite a bit more durable than 30d SilNylon.

Anyway, I have a few entries on my sub $110 short list that I am trying to decide on.
    • JRB 8'x8' SilNylon, 9.4 oz. $69.95 (w/ StuffSack)
    • oware FlatTarp1.5 6'x8' 30d SilNylon, 10 oz. $69.00 (w/ StuffSack and Cord)
    • oware CatTarp1.5 30d SilNylon, 8.5 oz. $109.00 (w/ StuffSack and Cord)
    • Campmor 8'x10' 1.1oz Ripstop Nylon, 13 oz. $64.99 (no StuffSack)
    • MLD Grace Solo 7x5x9' 1.35 SilNylon, 8.8oz. $90.00 (w/ StuffSack, Cord, Seam Sealer)
    • REI 9.75x7' 50d Ripstop Nylon, 22oz. $21.93 (no StuffSack)
    The JRB or Campmore are looking to be the best bang for the buck even though that REI tarp is only $22. However, the REI tarp is well over a pound and this I don't like. I think I'd be more inclined to spend an additional $45 for a savings of half the weight.

Suggestions?

Thanks

- Tobias

Good point...but are you thinking of any netting for bug protection or/and do you see the need for any type of flooring, and if so, what does the total weight come to including these options and the stakes necessary for the various pitching options?

Bug protection will be packed as needed, I won't always need bug protection and, if I do, I'll use a simple head unit. I don't think I'll need a floor, floorless works for countless others and should work for me. I've found some CubenFiber remnants that I will be using to make a ground cloth. I have a handful of titanium stakes that weigh .25 oz.

- Tobias

Default flatcat

don't forget the oware flatcat. I am eager to hear from someone who has one. It is apartently a hybrid flat/cat tarp. Cat but can be pitched like a flat? I am confused about it and there is not a lot of info on the website. It's well within your pricerange.

Quote Originally Posted by capoken View Post
    don't forget the oware flatcat.
    Yeah, it is kind of interesting sounding. 6.5 oz. for $59.

- Tobias

I just found this pic of a FlatCat in action, it seems kind of small at only 8'x5'.

- Tobias

Images

I have a 5x8, an 8x10 (cut down to 6x10), and recently sold my 10x12 tarp. The 6x10 is perfect for a tall person. The 5x8 is usable, and I've had plenty of stormy nights under it, but the extra couple of feet makes a big difference. If it were me, I'd probably go for the MLD tarp.

I use mine with a homemade breathable bivy for a combined floor and bug protection. The total weight with stakes and lines is 24 ounces. That's a small savings over a Tarptent, but it gives me a little more flexibility. (And I take the Tarptent when I hike with my family.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I agree with bigcranky. Squeezing under a 5x8 tarp for several nights on a thru-hike would get old, quick. I thru-hiked with an 8x10 tarp and loved the extra room, but could easily see using a 6x10 for the next one if I do it solo.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    I agree with bigcranky. Squeezing under a 5x8 tarp for several nights on a thru-hike would get old, quick. I thru-hiked with an 8x10 tarp and loved the extra room, but could easily see using a 6x10 for the next one if I do it solo.
    I used an 8x10 (Campmor) tarp on the PCT and loved it. I've said it before: The Campmor Tarp is a great "bread and butter" tarp. Relatively inexpensive, light and versatile.

I used a 5x8 tarp on the Colorado Trail. Never again. Too small for my tastes. And I'm only 5'6"; a taller/larger person may have more trouble. I've noticed many people who use the small tarps tend to have a bivy as well.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

You forgot Granite Gears tarps.
    Nearly Normal

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I used an 8x10 (Campmor) tarp on the PCT and loved it. I've said it before: The Campmor Tarp is a great "bread and butter" tarp. Relatively inexpensive, light and versatile.
    Thanks Mags, I've been examining your journals and gear lists and your experience speaks for itself. However, I've read in another thread that the Campmor 8x10 has the seam running the "wrong way"? The poster referenced this Thru-Hiker article. What is your take on this? I'm curious as I am leaning heavily towards this tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by pete56 View Post
    You forgot Granite Gears tarps. Nearly Normal
    Never heard of them actually, I'm a newbie for the most part but I will definitely check them out.

Thanks to all who posted suggesting 8x10's. I've been doing more research and it seems like 6' or better x 10' long is definitely the way to go.. especially for a newbie like me.

My short list is quickly becoming shorter but I have now added a new one thanks to Pete.
    • Campmor 8'x10' 1.1oz Ripstop Nylon, 13 oz. $64.99
    • MLD Grace Solo 7x5x9' 1.35 SilNylon, 8.8oz. $90.00
    • Granite Gear 8'x10' 30d SilNylon, 19 oz. $125.00
    • oware CatTarp2 8'x5.5'x9' 30d SilNylon, 11.5 oz. $112.00
    I really like the way the Granite Gear tarp looks in the pictures and can see how the slight cat cut would be nice in a storm. But it is almost double the cost and 6 oz. more than the Campmor. It is also just over the 1lb limit I am trying to set for myself. I love the weight, and the price isn't too bad, of the Grace Solo but it is a foot shorter and I am 6' 2" tall. However, at the same time, I am a side fetal position sleeper and rarely move once sound asleep so 9' might be ok.

I really hate making decisions like this.

Thanks again for all the suggestions thus far.

- Tobias

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    However, I've read in another thread that the Campmor 8x10 has the seam running the "wrong way"? The poster referenced this Thru-Hiker article. What is your take on this? I'm curious as I am leaning heavily towards this tarp.
    FWIW, I never had any problems with this tarp in rather bad weather. (Including one memorable deluge in Washington state!) I was not even aware of it being the "wrong way" until I read that same article a few weeks ago myself.

I don't think you'll go wrong with the tarp. Esp for an AT hike (which is almost entirely in trees), I don't think you'll quite see the wind and fierce storms that the poster in the thru-hiker article seems to be hinting at.

Just my opinion..

Just somsething to keep in mind as you get ready for your hike: Gear is the least important part of the trip. Once you are out there, you'll make do. Definitely get prepared and put some consideration into your gear decisions. OTOH, don't sweat it too much.

Above all else? ENJOY THE HIKE! Wish I was out there!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I don't think you'll go wrong with the tarp. Esp for an AT hike (which is almost entirely in trees), I don't think you'll quite see the wind and fierce storms that the poster in the thru-hiker article seems to be hinting at.
    Thanks again Mags, true. Most of my hiking will be here in the North East in AT country. If it works for you and others, it should definitely work for me.

- Tobias

I used that Equinox/Campmor tarp for 5 months on the AT, plus about 50 nights of leading trips. The ridge is fine for 99.5 of what you'll get into. Just seam seal it and hit the trail.

A ridgeline seam will pitch tighter, but just tie the tarp to a couple more points in the rare conditions that demand it. You might want to seriously consider having the grommets replaced on at least the ridge tieouts though. Never had one tear through, but was always a little nervous about really cranking it down until I spent 20 minutes on the sewing machine to do a quick retrofit.

I've just sewn a tarp based on a Black Cat with a little longer sides. 11' ridgeline, 9' sides, with light cat cuts on everything but the ridge. Should come out to about 12-13 oz before stakes, and plenty of room for two. I'd much rather carry an extra 2-3 oz of tarp and not have to deal with getting the absolute perfect pitch when the stuff really hits the fan. For solo trips ing the southeast/ southwest in the middle of summer, I'd consider going with something just a tad smaller, but meh.

don't size yourself short (pun intended). go with either 8x8 or 10x10. Used 10x10 campmor on an A.T. thru and it worked great. 16 0z., lots of room for yourself and gear. no need to carry stakes. tie off to trees, roots, rocks, logs etc. if you do need a stake, sharpen a downed piece of a branch about 1" diameter x9" long and push into the ground. tie off EVERY grommet or you will lose grommets and get tears in strong wind---at the very least the flapping will keep you awake if not tied securely. try to stick to square dimensons especially if you are new to tarps--much easier to learn solid set-ups. practice, practice, practice or be willing to be wet and miserable until you get it right.

geek

As I start to put a spreadsheet together outlining my gear list, I think I have convinced myself to go with the Campor 8'x10'. The price just can't be beat for a simple yet effective shelter.

For pack, sleeping, and shelter I am currently at 70.625 oz. (4.4 lbs.) at an expense of $475.00. $300 of that along with 36 oz. is just the quilt but it is an extra wide quilt that I need because of my large body frame and I don't have too many lighter options in my size.

This is all coming together nicely I think.

- Tobias

YAY!!!..... BANANNA!!!

Way to go man!

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Default Here's another one.

Thanks Mags, I've been examining your journals and gear lists and your experience speaks for itself. However, I've read in another thread that the Campmor 8x10 has the seam running the "wrong way"? The poster referenced this Thru-Hiker article. What is your take on this? I'm curious as I am leaning heavily towards this tarp.

Never heard of them actually, I'm a newbie for the most part but I will definitely check them out.

Thanks to all who posted suggesting 8x10's. I've been doing more research and it seems like 6' or better x 10' long is definitely the way to go.. especially for a newbie like me.

My short list is quickly becoming shorter but I have now added a new one thanks to Pete.
    • Campmor 8'x10' 1.1oz Ripstop Nylon, 13 oz. $64.99
    • MLD Grace Solo 7x5x9' 1.35 SilNylon, 8.8oz. $90.00
    • Granite Gear 8'x10' 30d SilNylon, 19 oz. $125.00
    • oware CatTarp2 8'x5.5'x9' 30d SilNylon, 11.5 oz. $112.00
    I really like the way the Granite Gear tarp looks in the pictures and can see how the slight cat cut would be nice in a storm. But it is almost double the cost and 6 oz. more than the Campmor. It is also just over the 1lb limit I am trying to set for myself. I love the weight, and the price isn't too bad, of the Grace Solo but it is a foot shorter and I am 6' 2" tall. However, at the same time, I am a side fetal position sleeper and rarely move once sound asleep so 9' might be ok.

Thanks again for all the suggestions thus far.

- Tobias
    Here's another one. Help the college kid out. He makes a quality product. And he is a WBer.

http://outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/silnylon_tarps.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Here's another one. Help the college kid out. He makes a quality product. And he is a WBer.
    Ouch, I'd love to but his weights are way too heavy. 20 oz. for an 8x10, the Campmor is only 13 oz.

- T

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Ouch, I'd love to but his weights are way too heavy. 20 oz. for an 8x10, the Campmor is only 13 oz.

- T
    Check again. The 8X10 cat cut is 16.5 oz.

Plus, you get what you pay for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++