WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Natural Remedies and Hiking

Forgive any controversy brought up. Here are some remedies I recommend for health and endurance: For the muscles--botanical oils, birch or wintergreen, clove, lemongrass, peppermint, etc--also helps the bones, cartilage, joints, regarding pain, recovery etc. I find recovery much easier with these oils and more miles. Internally, quality teas, herbs like mint, green tea, horehound, etc. help lead to better energy and a cleaner system. If you are sensitive, avoid processed foods, oils--hydrogenated, even canola, unsaturated, etc. Abundance of nuts and dried fruit, superfoods, vitamins, green powders, sufficient calcium and other minerals. Latest thought on oils is that olive and coconut are good, butterfat--those part of human tradition and history. The back-packer burns up large amounts of food, but to come off the hike with maximum health benefit, it helps to consume the best food, to go the natural route, etc. There is a lot of talk about pollutants and toxicity in the environment--a more pure hike can do much good for health of mind and body.

Section by Section
    Images

On a related note, I used to bring Sominex on the trail with me to aid in going to sleep. As tired as I am after a day of walking, I often have trouble getting to sleep.

One evening at Woods Hole Shelter in GA, a fellow hiker spied my Sominex consumption and recommended I try Melatonin. I feel much better taking a substance that occurs naturally in the human body.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

I am a firm believer in nature. It has gotten us this far. My mother and I are struggling with providing a balanced, healthy diet for out up coming thru hike (2008). We are both diabetic and it is MOST important to avoid fast carbs and junk food. We have always been fans of natures fixes over others. Thanks for posting!!!

P.S. I too take melatonin. It is great stuff!
    Because the Journey is not just a begining and an end...

My Thru Hike

Images

If you're hiking in an area where there is an abundance of wild wintergreen AND it's legal to do so, pick a handful and steep it in a teakettle of hot (not boiling) water for 10 - 15 minutes and drink the resulting tea to soothe tired muscles at the end of a day's hike. Wintergreen oil contains compounds that are chemically similar to aspirin - it really helps sore muscles.

If you wild harvesting like this, just remember not to strip ALL of the plants in the area. I was raised with the "Rule of Ten": leave at least ten plants for propagation.

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam View Post
    On a related note, I used to bring Sominex on the trail with me to aid in going to sleep. As tired as I am after a day of walking, I often have trouble getting to sleep.

One evening at Woods Hole Shelter in GA, a fellow hiker spied my Sominex consumption and recommended I try Melatonin. I feel much better taking a substance that occurs naturally in the human body.

You could also try the herb Valerian (sp?) which is the herb that Valium is made from.

It also helps with headaches, migranes and pain relief.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    You could also try the herb Valerian (sp?) which is the herb that Valium is made from.

It also helps with headaches, migranes and pain relief.
    Easily identified by it's smell.

Eau de hiking socks.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

For bee stings...try tobacco or meat tenderizer or cilantro leaves beat to a pulp.

For cramping (including menstrual)....eat banannas for the potassium.

For athlete's foot....make a paste of baking powder and apply to toes.

For corns/calluses.....tape a peice of lemon to the area overnight.

For chapped lips....rub finger on nose area and apply oils to lips.

For bruises....apply apple vinegar to the area to speed healing.

For cold sores....apply a moistened tea bad to the area frequently.

For the common cold....eat cinnamon, ginger and garlic liberally to alleviate symptoms.

For sunburn or hives....besides aloe, you can apply cucumber, shredded potatoes, watermelon rind (the inside white part) or apple vinegar.

For diarrhea.....eat 1/2 tsp. ginger mixed with 1 tsp RAW sugar two or three times per day.

For body odor.....clean sweaty areas with vinegar or alcohol and powder with baking soda to kill bacteria.

For fatigue.....eat mangos.

For yeast infection.....insert yogurt (plain, no fruit)

For hemmoroids.....drink carrot or cranberry juice.

For tooth ache.....place salted clove of garlic on effected area.

For sore throat.....drink hot water with 1 tsp cinnamon, pinch of black pepper and 2 tsp. honey. Or gargle and drink water that was boiled with basil leaves.

For ear wax.....put a few drops of olive oil in the ear a few times a day to loosen wax, then flush with hydrogen peroxide and water solution.

For hangover....drink coconut milk to coat stomach or drink Gatorade to replenish electrolytes lost from frequent urination.

For asthma....drink 1/4 cup of onion juice with 1 tsp honey and 1/8 tsp black pepper for immediate relief of breathlessness.

For vomiting....drink clove or ginger tea once you can begin keeping something down.

For PMS.....eat cherries on an empty stomach every day the week before onset.

For boils....apply garlic or onion juice to the area to help bring it to a head.

For flatulence.....eat ginger or chew peppermint leaves.

For bad breath....rinse mouth with lime juice.

For nosebleed.....apply ghee to nostrils to stop bleeding if pinching nose doesn't work. Ghee clots the blood.

....and that was a tea bag for cold sores....not tea bad

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker777 View Post
    Forgive any controversy brought up. Here are some remedies I recommend for health and endurance: For the muscles--botanical oils, birch or wintergreen, clove, lemongrass, peppermint, etc--also helps the bones, cartilage, joints, regarding pain, recovery etc. I find recovery much easier with these oils and more miles. Internally, quality teas, herbs like mint, green tea, horehound, etc. help lead to better energy and a cleaner system. If you are sensitive, avoid processed foods, oils--hydrogenated, even canola, unsaturated, etc. Abundance of nuts and dried fruit, superfoods, vitamins, green powders, sufficient calcium and other minerals. Latest thought on oils is that olive and coconut are good, butterfat--those part of human tradition and history. The back-packer burns up large amounts of food, but to come off the hike with maximum health benefit, it helps to consume the best food, to go the natural route, etc. There is a lot of talk about pollutants and toxicity in the environment--a more pure hike can do much good for health of mind and body.
    Interesting contentions. But zero evidence.

++ New Posts ++