WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Erwin Hiking Center Update

Hello everybody!! I really miss this site and being able to keep up with everyone! I think I am still having withdrawal symtoms even though it has been weeks since I cut off my internet.

Well, I have bad news and good news...

Bad... My first proposal was rejected by the land owner. He does not want to further develop his land at this time.This was my preferred location after months of searching so it has been hard to let that plan go.

Good... I am working on Plan B and it is starting to really excite me. The property I am looking at now has a very different setting and with that comes good things and bad things, of course. But I think it has a lot of possibilities.

I am slowing making headway with the sorting and packing at the house. WOW, where did all this stuff come from???? I am also working with the Small Business Development office and a local business attorney. I hope to reopen with a better business plan but still be able to offer a "homestyle" service.

I appreciate your phone calls and visits. It has been great to see friendly faces the past few weeks. Rainman and Grass, YoYo and Zero, Wonder and Uncle Silly, BooBoo and Mad Scientist... thanks for stopping by, sorry everything was such a mess!

well miss hanet, i hope plan b comes to reality. we will be keeping our fingers crossed and prayers sent!!!
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Images

Thank You!! I will take all the good thoughts I can get!

The new proposal goes in the mail in a few days.

Yo baby! Plan B? LOL
    Keep rock'in on dear and please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help!
    My nunber is still the same...call me.

geek

Images

Let me know if you need some help lifting stuff.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

I am thinking of you today.

Images

rock on miss j, keep us posted on any new developments!
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Good luck. Need a truck?
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Sorry I haven't called! Let me know if there is anything you need help with......I'm not that far! Good luck with Plan B, you know that we are ALL rooting for you!

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Default Thinking of you..

You Go, Girl!! I am excited about your plans and confident that it will all work out!

You know I'd come help you pack (I have so much experience...) but, here I am in Maine and it is all your fault!

Going to Rangeley Sun/Mon and hope to hook up with "Bonnie Carolyn."

WHEN and HOW will we ever catch up????????

Good thoughts and lots of Love,

S
    Hugs to the Girls!
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Images

I can offer a truck and some muscles also if you need them.
    Getting lost only makes things more interesting.

Images

YOU GUYS ALL ROCK!!!!!!

Thank you for the well wishes. I really needed them today.

I had a slightly stressfull meeting this afternoon with the Erwin Planning Commission concerning thier NEW regulations for Bed and Breakfast establishments. I was INVITED to attend. Someone thought my comments might be helpful, seeing that I have ran the busiest "B&B" in Erwin. I was happy to give my opinions and advice. Erwin is a great town for B&B's and I hope to see many new ones open here.

Well, another business owner... who resides in the county... with no plans to open a B&B... attended as well. The general public was allowed to attend so it was ok but a little strange. What interest could this person have in drafting a new ordinace for B&B's??

Well, that became clear when he introduced himself and then spent several minutes detailing how MISS JANET"S HOUSE had hurt the reputation of AT hikers in our community. He ended his comments with how glad he was that now that I was closed that maybe hikers coming to Erwin could gain a better reputation in Erwin.

I wasn't even going to say a word about this. I have always tried to take the higher road. I have been ashamed of my self lots of times when I have let my temper get away from me and have said negative things. Or when I have let myself be upset by fabricated rumours... but this was such a blindsided attack that I am blown away by his audacity! His comments had NOTHING to do with drafting a new ordinace for the city of Erwin. Am I just being overly sensitive to think that he attended this meeting only to get a few jabs in? He knows that I am planning a new facility... do you think he has already started a new campaign to try to hurt this new project?? I am having heart palpatations just thinking about those first few years of hell when I was getting Miss Janet's House started. I had truly believed that we were beyond that stage and that the transition would be without the fear of HIM trying to sabatoge my every move!

How many ways can you spell naive??

Sorry to vent here. I am sure this isn't the right place... but Fabian just looked at me with his headed cocked sideways and said "Bummer! Can you feed me now, please?"

Images

Janet ---

Winston Churchill once famously said, "Democracy is the worst system of government, except for all the others that have been tried." You just saw that. I know it hurts.

But still, it was good. You know someone who is not - yet - your friend, and you know what she/he will say. You can contact them, and try to show them how they are wrong, and you can contact the Planning Commission members (separately, perhaps) to do the same (this is called, "lobbying," and now perhaps you'll have a nicer view of "lobbyists." It really is democracy. And, on balance, that's a good thing. Honest.

But I'm sorry it upset a nice lady.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Default Thank you!

I know it is better to know what might be coming at this point. I can get ready for the battles and the lobbying!

But, the man was Uncle Johnny and I am weary of his games.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet View Post
    But, the man was Uncle Johnny and I am weary of his games.
    never would have guessed him, , are there any ordances against slander, or just being a (bunch of words that will get bleeped out)?
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Default As the saying goes...

As the saying goes...

"Consider the source."

And---keep smiling!! Whatever is meant to be---willl be.

Extra hugs,
    S
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Images

Win the lottery and buy him out.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet View Post
    . . . I had a slightly stressfull meeting this afternoon with the Erwin Planning Commission concerning thier NEW regulations for Bed and Breakfast establishments. . .
    Off the wall question, but does the Erwin Planning Commission have any authority outside city limits? Might want to consider looking at unincorporated Union County.

As far as UJ offering his opinion do you know if he represents the opinion of the Commission or is just commandeering the forum? This sort of thing happens more than you might suspect. If UJ is abusing the process he could be alienating the Commission members. Might be worth your time to talk to the Commissioners and/or their staff and see what their take is.

Anyway you slice it ya gotta love local politics.

. . . now that I was closed that maybe hikers coming to Erwin could gain a better reputation in Erwin. . .
    Don't know if closing your hostel is going to improve the hiker's reputation. However, the closing of your hostel has severely damaged the overall reputation of hostels in Erwin. Anyway, that's the way we see it on Planet Two Speed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by thickredhair View Post
    never would have guessed him, , are there any ordances against slander, or just being a (bunch of words that will get bleeped out)?
    Indeed. I would not have suspected that, and it saddens me. I enjoyed my stay (twice) with him in '00, but this is enough to make me defer doing so in the future. We have not met, Janet, but I have never seen you behave or referred to as other than a lady, with grace and goodness.

Perhaps I'll drop him a note. Others may wish to. There should be room in Erwin, of all places, for more than one hostel and provider. Perhaps if John realizes that others feel there is room for both of you he will be a bit more reserved.

Letters, notes and emails to him would likely be more helpful, it seems to me, if polite, than outraged. Comments to the Companion that John is a source of some controversy might be useful to the Companion, as well.

The Weasel

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hikers hurt Erwin...bull crap

Doesn't the guy know that a lot of the tourism that Erwin receives is from hikers.

The only troubles I have ever seen around the area are the idiots that drive up to Beauty Spot and Unaka Overlook, get drunk or high, and trash the place. Then m THP buddies tell me the stories of the drugs being trafficed over the state line. Those are the real problems.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++