WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Miss Janet is "Good People" ::::::::::::::: Johnny is NOT!!!
    Last edited by mrc237; 08-28-2007 at 07:23.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

Well, of course she is. But, I suspect she would agree, not yet perfect in every way. And, I suspect, there are redeeming qualities which have not been dwelt upon here that John Shores possesses. What a grand thing it would be if someone would ask them to take a moment and sit together, perhaps with a common acquaintance assisting, and each see the good in the other.

I think of all the times I have tried to overcome a problem, and not succeeded, sometimes because of others who were at fault somehow. Yet that does not mean that the problem could not be solved; it just meant that, perhaps, there might be a different way to solve it that I hadn't yet seen. I rather hope that there are those in, or close to (literally or figuratively) Erwin and these two who might help them find that solution. It would be so wonderful for them, and even better for those of us who, like they each do, find Erwin a gentle place along our Trail.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    What a grand thing it would be if someone would ask them to take a moment and sit together, perhaps with a common acquaintance assisting, and each see the good in the other.

The Weasel
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet View Post
    Mutual friends tried to get him to sit down and come to some resolutions with me and he refused... 4 years ago.
    Weasel, it has already been tried, didn't you read what she said? Let it go now like the lady asked please.

Images

Yes, I recall that, Dixi. But one hopes that John might be more accepting to such a process four years later. Frankly, while of course it seems to me that Janet has tried a number of reasonable steps, I also have hopes that John might see some of the posts in this thread - WhiteBlaze is rather more widespread than even some of us realize - and reflect on how to resolve some of this. But I may be wrong; still, I hope he does. That would be a good thing for him, and Erwin, as well as others.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Johnny's should be listed or the Companion should get out of the business

Sounds like nobody had heard UJ's side of the story.

I feel that there could be extenuating circumstances that nobody here has talked about.

I stayed with UJ for weeks, and found him to be nice and sometimes "nicer than was good for himself". And this has caused subsequent problems.

On the niceness side, I saw two occasions when thru-hikers came in with broken suspensions on their packs, and his staff were able to fix them and get them going. The alternatives were expensive shuttles to places for service/exchange or lengthy stays waiting for factory repairs.

No charge for the fixes.

Default Erwin, etc.

All I have to say is that I fervently hope (and somehow plan) to be hiking on the AT in that area one day and meet Miss Janet.
    mini-m.

Be sure to stop in at Uncle Johnny's also. Nice place!

Removed - name calling
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 08-30-2007 at 14:58.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: Dino quietly prays for reconciliation and respects Miss Janet's wish to drop this :::

Images

Removed - response to name calling
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 08-30-2007 at 14:59.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Uncle Johnny was "unfortunate" in that he upset a lot of people, dozens of whom registered formal complaints with ALDHA and the ATC about their treatment at his facility/business. The decision to remove him from the Thru-Hikers Companion was based on these complaints, which were compiled over several years. It wasn't a sudden decision.

This matter had not been discussed in recent time until Johnny himelf re-opened the matter with his recent comments at the meeting in Erwin, comments obviously directed at Janet Hensley. If Johnny's friends and admirers really want this to go away, and really want to "hear the end of it" they'd do well to tell him to let it go. But as long as HE revives the unpleasantness, it's going to be commented on.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 08-30-2007 at 15:07. Reason: Removed response to name calling

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Johnny's should be listed or the Companion should get out of the business
    That would be like quitting your job after ejecting a single unruly customer.

That said, I kind of think it's silly NOT to include him in the Companion, and I was field editor for the Erwin section the past three years. Although he's only one man, I compare it to services turning away hikers because of a few idiots. Yet, I can see ALDHA's point in not including him. In the end, it's a trivial fact whether he's included or not, as it's not going to make or break anyone's hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Uncle Johnny.....
    Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    That would be like...
    Dino's hope is shared by me. Those who wish Janet well, and those who wish John well, those who wish both or neither well should, I think, respect the fact that Janet has suggested an end to this discussion, and John has said nothing. I will join Dino in her hope, and hope others too will do so.

The Weasel

Images

No it isn't. BUT if I were a hiker and walked off the trail in Erwin and there was a hostel across the street that wasn't listed. I would kind of wonder if someone were putting personal issues ahead of informing the hiker.

I think if the guides are going to list a business that specializes in hikers - they ought to include 'em all unless they abuse hikers. The internal back issues should stay internal back issues. Serving the hikers needs are the job of the guide.

And, BTW, I still love Ms Janet.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Dino's hope is shared by me. Those who wish Janet well, and those who wish John well, those who wish both or neither well should, I think, respect the fact that Janet has suggested an end to this discussion, and John has said nothing. I will join Dino in her hope, and hope others too will do so.

The Weasel
    Y'all get over it, this is a discussion board.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Y'all get over it, this is a discussion board.
    it's becoming a somewhat heavily monitored one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    am i missing something? this isn't the straight-forward forum, and i didn't call anyone a name; so why was i edited, fd?
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=SGT Rock;399360]
    I think if the guides are going to list a business that specializes in hikers - they ought to include 'em all unless they abuse hikers.

=========================================

...and even then they should be included, but possibly with a cautionary note.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Note to F.D. In regards to your editing of my post above (#92), there was no "name calling" on my part in my original comment. My post was in direct respose to a post by Warren Doyle in which he falsely accused me of being responsible for Uncle Johnny's getting pulled from the Companion. In my post, I made it very clear that this was purely an editorial decision by the ATC and ALDHA and not mine, as I had no say in the editorial process of that book at the time.....or now, for that matter. Had I voiced complaints about his place? Well, sure, along with scores of other folks. I was further commenting on Mr. Doyle's contention that we'd have "heard the end" of this unfortunate matter, if it wasn't for me. This contention was also false.

But for F.D. to both poorly re-write my post, and to then say that the post needed to be re-written due to "name calling" on my part is completely untrue. By selectively editing my post and removing my references to Mr. Doyle's false statement, it also implies it that I'm interested in furthering this discussion, despite the fact that both Miss Janet and website administrators have made it clear they want it to go away.

My above post was made SOLELY as a response to a false and incorrect statement about myself made by another poster, and while I'm glad to see that F.D. dispatched that post to the trash, I can't say I'm happy with her selective editing of my own...... telling another contributor that what they've written about you is a falsehood is hardly "name calling", F.D. In other words, pointing out that someone is a dissembler is not a crime...... Or to put it really simply, calling out a liar for what he is, is a statement of fact, and not mere "name calling." Pity you can't distinguish between the two.

The editing privileges taken by moderators are not only increasing here at WB, but they are often questionable. I respectively suggest that in future, this editorial recourse be applied with a scalpel and not a trowel.

Lasltly, I agree entirely with Rock when he says that places that abuse hikers can expect to be removed from hiker guides. And this is PRECISELY what happened in Erwin, even if there are some who refuse to acknowledge this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++