WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Florida Fall Gathering

Hey Gray Blazer and Cannibal, let's make this happen. If we are going to get serious about a Florida Gathering, I thought we should open a thread, and call it that, in the Gatherings forum.

So, here is the idea. Florida WhiteBlazers getting together when the weather gets cooler. So, far, Gray Blazer has suggested Gold Head Branch State Park. That would work for me. It is about 2.5 hours from me. Alexander Springs would work for me to.

How about October 12-14? I have that clear for now.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Images

Works for me!

Images

Cannibal if you can get that location mentioned in the other thread, let us know.

Rainman

Images

I'm going to check it out this weekend to see if it would be someplace we want to camp. The owner has not been on the property for 6 years!!!!!!!!!!! But, it is very close to the south Ocala section trailhead (Clearwater Lake). I'll know more next week.

Images

Great. I'm about an hour from there.

Rainman

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    So, here is the idea. Florida WhiteBlazers getting together when the weather gets cooler.

What? Other WB'ers cant come?
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Rainman-were you in Ocala the first week of July? The pics from your gallery look very much like the ONE person I saw on the Trail. I was the guy with the crazy heavy pack that didn't fit. LOL!

aka Mokay
    Images

Default Wish I could but

It's a great idea, and either location would be good. Unfortunately I'll be in Madrid Spain that weekend.

Guess I'll have to catch you all the next time.
    HUGS - J

Images

Trade ya! I'll go to Madrid and you can camp in Florida.

aka Mokay
    Images

Sorry, didn't mean that to sound whiney!

I've been lurking here for a while, and finally started posting just within the last week or so (I think). Imagine my excitement to see the suggestion of a get together right here in central Florida, then to have the disappointment of not being able to attend

Madrid will be tons of fun though. All expenses paid at a 4 star hotel, and the second week is right on the Camino Santiago so I'll be able to relive some long ago hiking memories.

Maybe we can do a Spring get together too!
    HUGS - J

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Rainman-were you in Ocala the first week of July? The pics from your gallery look very much like the ONE person I saw on the Trail. I was the guy with the crazy heavy pack that didn't fit. LOL!
    Nope, wasn't me. My son and I hiked the Withlacoochee loop in March and in May we did 30+ miles in the GSMNP. That was my last hike. I have not posted any pics from those trips yet. I will get to it.

Rainman

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    What? Other WB'ers cant come?
    Come on down Cuffs. We'd love to have you. It may not be the weather you're used to, living in a grocer's freezer and all. But, if you can stand the heat, you're welcome!

Rainman

Images

Let's do it! We might as well make it that weekend. On any given weekend there's gonna be someone who can't make it. My wife and I were gonna try to make it to the Shennies to see the leaves change and I'm thinking that might be the peak time, but oh well. Jnetx (Genetics?) do you have another suggestion for another weekend? You seem to be the FT expert and it would be nice to have you there to talk to or give us a slide show or something.

Images

I agree with Gray Blazer. The date I threw out was just a starting place. If there are some other dates people want to suggest, let's get them out there and consider them. I could do Nov 2-4, Nov 16-18, even Nov 23-25 (Thanksgiving weekend).

Rainman

aka Mokay
    Images

Not sure about being called an expert. Doesn’t that imply some sort of liability? Actually, this past Spring I had the awkward experience of having to stand in front of the entire assemblage at the Florida Trail conference and confess that I’d forgotten to pack my sleeping bag! Just a little embarrassing for an experienced backpacker huh? In my defense, I had just purchased a new stuff sack for it, and it was blue, not my usual bright orange. I had it sitting right there on the “staging area” (aka the bed in the gear room, which other people insist on calling the guest room) and I just didn’t see it because it was blue. When I returned it was sitting right there, prominent and innocent! Fortunately there were several folks who had thought to bring extras.
    Timing aside, I would love to meet everyone at a get together, and share anything I can about the Florida Trail. I love hiking it. It has been a regular weekend companion for me whenever possible for the past year or so. I have quite a few photos from the hikes, all the maps, guide books, etc., and would be happy to share. Talking is not something I have a hard time with! Actually, totally off topic, but the reason I can’t attend in mid October is I’m attending a couple of volunteer programs in Spain for chatterboxes like me. Basic principal is you get yourself to Madrid. Next morning you get picked up by bus and whisked away to a 4 star hotel for a week, all expenses paid. Once there, the volunteer duty involves talking one on one, and in small groups and conference call like settings, for about 12 hours a day! The captive audience for this constant dialog is a group of Spanish professionals who have attended formal English language training, but need to be able to speak conversational English in the course of their jobs. They pay to talk, listen and learn. I get a couple of week’s free room and board (3 square meals a day, including wine (it is Spain!)) in a beautiful Spanish resort/hotel. Sounds fun?
    Ironically, having just submitted my notice at work this week because I was starting to feel it infringed on my outdoor time, my schedule is getting so full that I’m having to squeeze in weekends! So, not that I’d ever suggest rearranging dates for my convenience, but if the weekend of Sept 22/23, or November 10/11 was more convenient for the remainder of the group I could make it. If not, I’ll try to catch you all next time.
    HUGS - J

aka Mokay
    Images

I guess rainman posted while I was typing, and wouldn't you just know it, we appear to be on opposite schedules!

I could probably do Nov 17/18 and maybe even Thanksgiving weekend if that suits everyone else's schedules better. I was hoping to get a two week kayak trip in when I returned from Europe and it's tentatively set for mid November. However, I probably have some influence on the dates if we arrange something during that time.

FYI - The Florida Trail Central FL chapter is hosting a Thanksgiving weekend camping somewhere in the vicinity of Orlando. (need to check where and the Newsletter is on my other laptop). Wednesday night through Sunday I think, though most folks will just do a day or two. Pot luck for Thanksgiving dinner. If there is one thing FTA does well, it's eat!
    HUGS - J

Images

Just about any weekend is fine with me outside of September. Plus, most of the bugs will be fading away by then, not gone just fading.

Images

I'm a member of the FTA Central Florida Chapter, though not all that active. I have always meant to go to the Thanksgiving campout. Maybe we could combine the two events. Is anyone interested in that?

Rainman

Images

I like Nov 17/18. Anyone else?

aka Mokay
    Images

The FT Thanksgiving campout is Nov 21- 25 at Moss Park with covered dish dinner Thursday and hikes each day. Moss Park is alcohol free. That might have some influence on whether to tag onto that location.

As I stated in an earlier post, Nov 16 – 18 could work for me if it suits others.
    HUGS - J

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++