WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fall/Winter Clothing (north georgia)

for those of you in the north georgia area (north carolina, and tenn. too) what kind of layering system do you find is the most efficiant for late fall early winter? im just getting around to preparing my equipment for the cold season and im looking for some opinions.

It can stay awfully warm even up to November, I remember one recent winter trip where I actually got to swim in a creek it was so warm. My standard hiking outfit is shorts and t-shirt, even in the winter, but beyond this I wear merino wool long johns and gore-tex rainpants along with a silk turtleneck under thermal tops. The outer layers would be a good fleece top and then a down jacket(with gloves and balaclava). I carry a good goretex rain jacket too. That's about it.

There's two considerations: Hiking layers on the one hand and basecamp layers on the other. I would never backpack in my fleece top or down jacket no matter how cold, cuz the thermal tops(merino/polypro)with the rain jacket keeps me plenty warm when hiking. Sitting around the tent, though, requires more layers hence the down and fleece. A down vest is also a fine piece of winter gear.

Pants are not needed except in the worse blizzard conditions and then just a light shell over merino/polypro is adequate. I often start out on a cold morning with shorts over my long johns, many people do the same.

In the coldest conditions I carry two pairs of gloves, one thin and light and the other heavier and warm. Gloves will get wet so like socks I always try to have a dry pair on hand no matter what. I wear two hats when it's very cold, a nice patagonia balaclava and a thick watch-cap over that. This provides sufficient warmth when hanging around camp.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    for those of you in the north georgia area (north carolina, and tenn. too) what kind of layering system do you find is the most efficiant for late fall early winter? im just getting around to preparing my equipment for the cold season and im looking for some opinions.
    a tee shirt to hike in during the day. a light microfleece to put on at night. rainjacket. convertible pants. thats all you need.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

i guess it all depends on the moody weather of North Georgia. Solemates suggestion sounds good provided you are not sensitive to temperature and the GA weather is typical for late fall... you should find as much out as you can about the weather before you go..

in mid winter, i have used a shell, a midweight fleece, and a polypro base layer and still was on the chilly side, at least up on a mountain. (another thing to remember, the mountain tops are a good bit cooler)

2010 complete

t shirt, compression long sleeve shirt, goose down vest, columbia jacket, shorts, hat, gloves, and columbia pants.

I don't do winter camping, but I have been caught in the snow in April.

yea i got a good idea of what im going to use this winter. compression long sleeve, fleece, and a shell. for pants im just going with some zip off north faces i got awhile back, and some mid wieght long johns for around the camp. thanks for the input guys

Images

I use target tights(long johns) top and bottom, then fleece pants/top, and a soft shell rain coat also wind breaker/rain pants. It's simple for me. I use fleece gloves, a ninja hood lol one of those convertable ones and a winter hat! I also use mid weigh waterproof boots, sock liners, smart wool socks, and short gaiters.. I have endured frozen water falls and x-mass nights of snow and freezing rain, Not to mention the frozen tundra of n.ga where the ice grows out of the ground lol.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    Base:
    Shorts and a t-shirt. Sometimes a wind shirt. Some days you can walk in this, some you need more.

For camp I have a set of long underwear, warm beenie, glove liners, and some warm socks. If it is cold enough I can also walk in it.

And for back up I have an insulated pullover, insulated pants, fleece mittens, blaclava, and extra warm socks.

I also make sure I have a full wet weather system since half of staying warm is staying dry.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

yea i have a precip jacket for wet weather

++ New Posts ++