WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good Multitool?

Images

Default Good Multitool?

Hi,

I'm a newbie and am at least a year or 2 from attempting the great AT, so I wanted to do a few days here and there to get used to it all (Harriman/Bear Mountain area). I was wondering if you could recommend a good multi-tool for the trail. I know some people take a singlebladed knife or small Swiss Army type tool. I know a few hikers that swear by the Leatherman Micra (apparently, the full size leatherman is quite heavy).

Any thought?

Thanks!!

Images

I really like the Leatherman Micra.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I really like the Leatherman Micra.
    Believe it or not, the most effective is the tiny Swiss knife with just a blade and a file/screwdriver. If you're carrying a minimum of gear, that's all you need.

If you're carrying much more that needs repair, and you know you can do the repairs, a Micra is useful.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Well I sort of disagree. In a move to go lighter and smaller I got one of those. After numerous hikes I miss the slightly (but not by much) larger blade and much better set of scissors that were on my micra.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

What's the need? Do u have line to cut? - bring a small toe clippers. Do u have a bear to fight? - bring a walking stick that the bear will mistake for a rifle.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Well I sort of disagree. In a move to go lighter and smaller I got one of those. After numerous hikes I miss the slightly (but not by much) larger blade and much better set of scissors that were on my micra.
    My toenails aren't as nasty as yours, Rock. I have NICE toenails. Normal knives work on them. Just because you find the Micra works as well as the hedgeclippers you always had to carry doesn't mean the rest of us have nails made of Kevlar.

Sheesh. Army guys allus wanna go for equipment overload. Like they needed it, or sumpin. Sheesh.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Love my micra. never ever leave home without it, unless I'm flying somewhere. I also keep a maglite Solitaire on the lanyard too.

Images

Thanks so much. A Micra it is. I was going to ask about a minimag too, I guess the Solitaire is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by musicwoman View Post
    Thanks so much. A Micra it is. I was going to ask about a minimag too, I guess the Solitaire is the way to go.
    I carry a Micra too. But I personally don't carry or recommend a minimag or Solitaire. I like the LED photon lights. Lighter in weight and a much brighter light than the standard bulbs found in the mag-type lights. YMMV.
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

Images

LED Photon lights. The minimags are heavy, eat batteries, and aren't very bright.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

LED headlamp... handsfree operation, intensely bright and long lasting batteries
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

I agree with SGT Rock above, the Leatherman is always a good choice. I need to replace mine, and I feel all nistalgic when I think about all the stuff I've done with it.

I hope I'm not saying "Well, they don't make them like they used too" soon..

Wenger Swiss Army "Esquire" model, at 0.8 oz (22 grams) has knife blade, scissors, tweezers, nail file, and toothpick. Scissors can do things that are just awkward with a knife, either for gear or body repair and maintenance. Scissors plus nail file can make it easier to keep nails trimmed (toe and finger), even the toothpick is useful, perhaps depending on whether or not you carry floss.

Knife was pretty cheap too in a local sporting goods store.

For light, consider the Petzold e+lite at 1.0 oz (27g). Downside is it uses two CR 2032 disc batteries, but it's pretty small and light yet includes a headband and offers both red and white light. I like the red for times when I'd prefer to preserve my night vision. REI sells these. Rather than spare batteries, I carry a very small led light as backup.

Thanks! I am going to check those out

Images

If you're going to be hiking in the Bear Mountain/Harriman parks there's no need to wait on doing the AT. It goes through both of those parks. My wife and I did the AT in NY and NJ either as day hikes or hikes of 2 to 3 days.

The Leatherman "Micra" or Wenger "Esquire" are definitely best-in-class for a multi-tool and army knife.

Gerber also makes a little clipper/knife/file/scissors combo that works and is very light but is not as durable as the others: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Deluxe-.../dp/B000670I9U

You can find it on eBay for about $5.

Think about what functions you need and then pick the best (smallest, lightest, cheapest, highest-quality) tool that has them all and no extras. Probably you only need a small blade, scissors, fingernail clippers and file, and tweezers. Depending on your equipment and other choices, you may want a screwdriver, larger blade, possibly a can opener, etc.

Images

LI Hiker,

The Harriman/Bear Mountain portion of the AT was one of the areas I was thinking of hiking, but I was also looking at hiking a portion of Long Path. Which would you recommend? I need to get used to the climbs and decents, but would like to do so slowly. I definitely don't want a "baptism by fire" scenario. I am not conditioned enough for that yet. Also, as far as the Bear Mountain portion of the AT, I've heard its really rough and I don't think I am physically ready for it yet.

I am from Long Island myself, btw

You can now get a 1watt let upgrade for your minimag now. Target has it and some walmart have it really is bright batterys will last longer to

musicwoman, I hiked the Long Path from the GW Bridge up to Wurtsboro this year, taking the "long route" using the A.T./Shawangunk Ridge trail through Highpoint. That section is pretty easy terrain-wise, the problems were ticks like you wouldn't believe, few water sources and some sections where there's not much of a trail at all compared to the A.T. "highway". The Basha Kill Section below Wurtsboro is extremely flat and very easy, a rail-to-trail path. The part along the Hudson has some amazing views.

Quote Originally Posted by partinj View Post
    You can now get a 1watt let upgrade for your minimag now. Target has it and some walmart have it really is bright batterys will last longer to
    IMHO Minimags w/ or w/o upgrade are not worth the extra weight.
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++