WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default American Chestnut trees along the AT

I was walking a section of the AT between Port Clinton and Windsor Furnace (in Pa.) today, and I was amazed at how many small American Chestnut trees I could see from the footpath. Hundreds, if not thousands! Most of these were under 10 feet tall. Yes, I know that the blight doesn't hit them until they are a little bigger than this, but I wondered: how are the native populations doing in areas where this tree had once been prolific? Some scientists who study this tree and the blight that affects them believe that some trees MAY develop an immunity to the blight at some future time. (I know of at least one on-going study taking place near Lancaster, Pa.)

if they are under 10 feet tall and there are no old dead parts then they are probably chinquapin bushes (a close relative of the american chestnut)

you do still see american chestnut trees from stump sprouts but generally you don't see a lot of them - maybe 1 a mile or so IMO

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    if they are under 10 feet tall and there are no old dead parts then they are probably chinquapin bushes (a close relative of the american chestnut)

you do still see american chestnut trees from stump sprouts but generally you don't see a lot of them - maybe 1 a mile or so IMO
    It was a mix - some appeared to be new, young trees, and some were stump sprouts. In years past, in other areas south of Port Clinton, I have found larger, infected chestnut trees throwing burrs. Unfortunately, they were on State Game Lands in fire breaks along dirt roads - every few years, the Game Commission goes through and cuts EVERYTHING down to the ground - the chestnut trees included!

Images

According to The Vascular Flora of Pennsylvania, Cantanea pumila does not occur where you were hiking this weekend sb. You were indeed seeing American chestnut. I know of a tree less than 10 miles from where you were that grew to about 6 inches dbh before it succumbed to blight.

Unfortunately, I never made a point of getting there at the proper time to gather nuts. I've never eaten an American chestnut although it's something I've often hoped to do someday.

One of the big problems that occurred that would affect chestnut immunity is that right after the blight, most large chestnuts were cut in an attempt to salvage the trees. So any blight resistant trees may have been cut down.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

There are quite a lot of chestnuts in TN and NC. The little ones look quite healthy; the bigger ones don't. Some do produce nuts, though.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Default American Chestnut Trees Found

“Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

You might be interested in checking out the American Chestnut Foundation at www.acf.org.

I know of 2 large, fully mature and healthy American Chesnuts in southern Maryland.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    One of the big problems that occurred that would affect chestnut immunity is that right after the blight, most large chestnuts were cut in an attempt to salvage the trees. So any blight resistant trees may have been cut down.
    Right after the blight those stems were dead, weren't they? Don't you mean salvage the lumber? Since the largest trees maybe were the most vigorous and maybe most resistant and maybe wouldn't have thrown sprouts, I can agree that maybe what you're claiming may be so.

Were you trying to test me with your statement to see if I'm paying attention? I'm awake and I always watch the American chestnut threads.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    I know of 2 large, fully mature and healthy American Chesnuts in southern Maryland.
    How big, NTG?

Images

I posted last year on Penn State's efforts to develop hybrid American chestnuts. They're still at it and have been adding to their website too.

Go here for more information than most people desire to know about the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Right after the blight those stems were dead, weren't they? Don't you mean salvage the lumber? Since the largest trees maybe were the most vigorous and maybe most resistant and maybe wouldn't have thrown sprouts, I can agree that maybe what you're claiming may be so.

Were you trying to test me with your statement to see if I'm paying attention? I'm awake and I always watch the American chestnut threads.
    They cut the stems to salvage the lumber from the trees yes. The blight was so bad the trees were cut for salvage dead or alive. Meaning, the few large seed bearing trees that may have been blight resistant were cut, making it difficult for the species to recover. The chance for a bottleneck recovery was greatly reduced by this action.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Since it was likely thought to be a lost cause anyway, all the trees that could be cut were. Had the trees that appeared to be healthy were saved, they could have crossed potentially with other resistant trees once those not resistant were eliminated.

It may be true of chestnuts that root-collar sprouts are more vigorous than those from roots, but are not as apt to be produced by older trees. Following that line of thought, those individuals to which you refer were lost as a breeding population if not set back significantly.

Have I grasped your point?

Images

Some really cool stuff going on with this tree in the South. Closely guarded sites etc. Fingers crossed...

If you know of a mature tree, contact someone from the society, please don't post it's location. mum is good.

Images

I posted last year on Penn State's efforts to develop hybrid American chestnuts. They're still at it and have been adding to their website too.Go here for more information than most people desire to know about the subject.
    I should have known that you'd have info on this subject, SOG. The large dbh tree that you knew of, this was about 3 - 4 miles north of where I camped Saturday??? I knew of one that was just off of the trail in that general area, but that was years ago. I don't know if it survives.

The last time that PGC cut the trees along the dirt road between 183 and the old Ney's shelter site was about 6 - 7 years ago, I think. If there's any stump sprout, the youngsters should be visible by now. Check around Pine Spring (east and west of that location) sometime and let me know what you find.

Images

The tree I mentioned still stands not far from PA 183 near the base of Blue Mountain in Schuylkill County. Trees now between PA 183 and the towers are possibly old enough to be throwing nuts.

I remember some trees that produced nuts at the scout camp and also along the PGC road enroute to Ney's 20 years ago or so.

Years ago when a fire burned from the scout camp almost to the A.T., chestnuts as well as blueberries seemed to benefit for some years from the fire. Others have reported the same response.

In those days I liked to hike the Eagle-Rutabaga Trail from the scout camp to the A.T. north to FDS then back down to the camp via the woods road. It was a good circuit which passed through the burn.
    Have you ever eaten pawpaws? Mine are ripening now. Good crop. Let me know if you want some. They're not the better cultivars, just from seeds.
    Last edited by emerald; 09-25-2007 at 21:13.

Images

...Years ago when a fire burned from the scout camp almost to the A.T., chestnuts as well as blueberries seemed to benefit for some years from the fire....
    OH, NO..."Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...."

How big, NTG?
    Large enough to fully shade the building 25 feet in front of them, maybe 50' tall, very broad expanse of limbs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    Large enough to fully shade the building 25 feet in front of them, maybe 50' tall, very broad expanse of limbs
    WOW! Does the American Chestnut Foundation know of their existence?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++