WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Exclamation Naturalist at Cove Mountain Shelter

General Warning! Last week my son and I sectioned hiked from VA 311 to Cove Mountain Trail. On our last day we spotted a tall red headed man wearing nothing but a green hat, boots and socks. We were quite alarmed. He didn't seem to be dangerous or mentally challanged in any way, just delighted to be free of clothing. He asked us if we ever tried it, we said no, he responded by saying, "Well, you should sometime". I don't think this is common on the trail, at least I hope not. So keep your eyes open for the red headed naked man on Cove Mountain. Certainly one of the strangest sights on the AT.

aka Mokay
    Images

fyi - a man with no clothes on is not a naturalist unless he's looking for birdies and flowers, etc. If he's just out for a walk san clothes he is more likely a naturist.
    HUGS - J

Being naked at a nudist camp or other approved places is one thing but on the trail (or in public in general) isn't acceptable behavior. Feel free to report him.

Are you sure he wasn't a giant leprechaun?

At least he wasn't walking around in the city with no clothes, but it would be better if he were nude in places where it is expected and others are nude as well. But he is right, you should try it sometime, but at a nude beach, please.

There was an older man with his wife in a shelter in Maine. I was there for quite some time before I realize he didn't have on any pants. No one acted as if they noticed, though surely everyone did. Probably had a bad case of chafing or something.

Quote Originally Posted by john august View Post
    General Warning! Last week my son and I sectioned hiked from VA 311 to Cove Mountain Trail. On our last day we spotted a tall red headed man wearing nothing but a green hat, boots and socks. We were quite alarmed. He didn't seem to be dangerous or mentally challanged in any way, just delighted to be free of clothing. He asked us if we ever tried it, we said no, he responded by saying, "Well, you should sometime". I don't think this is common on the trail, at least I hope not. So keep your eyes open for the red headed naked man on Cove Mountain. Certainly one of the strangest sights on the AT.
    John:

A "naturalist" is someone who is concerned with the natural world.

A "naturist" is someone who walks around with no clothes.

As a naturalist, I came to this thread expecting one thing, and got another.

how about exhibitionist perverted Ahole

Images

Plenty of national forest out west to get naked in.

Don't understand people, but retain my right to skinny-dip.

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

A few weeks ago a friend of mine was out with a group of teens. They were all a little speechless to see an older nude hiker coming up the trail towards them. My friend recognized the hiker as a long time hiker friend of his and only had a moment to think " Oh, SH_ _!" because he knew the naked hiker was going to want to stop and chat. His group was amazed and a little appalled that the leader knew the naked old guy!!! The kids couldn't have cared less how many thousands of miles this guy had hiked and how many years he had been hiking.... "The DUDE was NAKED, MAN"!!!!

Images

Foolish University students and Naked old people. More reasons for Tasers........
    Just kidding...... don't tase me bro.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I've been to clothing optional beaches in France, California, and New Jersey (kept 'em on), less than a dozen (women) were worth a second glance.

Hi, I'm new. I live near the AT. I understand it is a tradition among some to go naked on the trail on the longest day of the year, around June 21, so there may be more "naturists" out on and around that day.

Live and let live.

I recall the group at the '05 SORUCK who watched the film Southbounders together. When the naked dude scene was played, I didn't see any of the 100 or so folks run out of the room in horror.

That was the 06 SORUCK. Sorry,
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: However enjoyable nudism can be while hiking, it can lead to just a whole world of pain. That nude man exposed himself to children (yes, teen agers are 'children' under the law) and did so knowingly; he should at least have immediately stoped and covered himself with something, and been ready to.

If reported - and it happens - he could have been subjected to just massive legal problems, including being convicted of a sex offender crime that might require long term or even lifetime registration and limitations on where he could live, work and travel.

More in my article in the Articles section. It's not just cute anymore.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Yeah, it's pretty sad when the law does not discern the difference between simple nudity and obscene or inappropriate conduct.

Images

Tater, I don't think it's "simple nudity" for a grown male to display his genitals to a group of children on a trail. And the AT is not a remote trail where it's uncommon to find others. I'm not trying to flame you here - honest - but that is non-consensual, subject to serious parent concern upon learning of it (and they will), just stupid. It's not "sad," and the law follows common sense in this situation pretty darn closely. And it's ever worse at a shelter, where it's certain that others will stop, which suggests serious issues. It can't be justified under any set of facts.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty sad when the law does not discern the difference between simple nudity and obscene or inappropriate conduct.
    Some, like myself when hiking with my 7 year old and his friends, might consider this act of "simple nudity" on public park service land to be both obscene and inappropriate.

You buy your children video games where "bad people" can be blown up and shot up and vaporized by the dozens... but g*d forbid they should see naked human bodies in the woods. You're warped.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    You buy your children video games where "bad people" can be blown up and shot up and vaporized by the dozens... but g*d forbid they should see naked human bodies in the woods. You're warped.
    so naked teachers in children's classrooms is cool too? what's the difference? and how do you know ChimneySpring buys his kids video games?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++