WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog breeds

Red face Dog breeds

this post is more or less for fun, and to help anyone who's looking for opinions on a future trail dog.

To YOU whats the best hiking breed or mix breed? why? whats the worst? why?

I prefer terrier mixes, I have 2 and they are awesome little dogs, versatile and spunky, loyal and dont let anything stand in their way. small enough to pick up if need be and can fit in a solo tent without a problem. of course size can vary with mix breeds.

worst to me would have to be chihuahuas, their size alone puts them at a disadvantage on most trails. on the plus side they eat so little carrying their food wouldn't be a problem.

anyone else want to give their opinion? c'mon you know you want to.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have seen Labs, Retreivers, German Shepards, and Huskies. Even saw a Jack Russell.

Hunting and herding dogs work well. You want one with a good stride and speed. Probably one that wouldn't mind carry a pack.

I would put Dachsund probably as the worst hiker. Short and stumpy.

Chihuahuas would probably work for the trail....bear food.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

My Yorkie (10lbs) love hiking and camping. He's never given me any problems. He also make a great pillow at night. Worst case scenario he loves to sit on my shoulders wrapped around the back of my neck. It's surprisingly comfortable. My Chihuahua (12lbs) on the other hand hates the outdoors. We went camping up in Vermont a few weeks ago and she never wanted to leave the tent.

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Default Trail dogs

Chihuahuas would be good for tortillas.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Images

IMHO there isn't a best breed, unless "mutt" is a breed.

Images

My BeagleHound is as good as it gets. Half 15" Beagle, half Pointer. She's about 35-40 pounds and eats 1.5-2 cups of food per day.

She can go all day, and doesn't want to leave the trail to come home. I've never seen a dog love to hike so much.
    Just hike.

Tom Horn had a beagle named Misty. She had 12,000 AT miles

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Tom Horn had a beagle named Misty. She had 12,000 AT miles
    Wow. I tell you the truth, my dog is better than most people that I've met. It seems as if I've heard Heald say the same thing about Annie. He's gonna be lost when that old girl can't hike anymore. I think she has something crazy like 15k miles. Oof.
    Just hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Wow. I tell you the truth, my dog is better than most people that I've met. It seems as if I've heard Heald say the same thing about Annie. He's gonna be lost when that old girl can't hike anymore. I think she has something crazy like 15k miles. Oof.
    I met Heald and Annie. Got a pic of them in my WB gallery. Annie was quite well behaved. I think my chocolate lab, Blaze, is going to be a good trail dog. At the least, she should encourage bigfeet to stay away from us.

Images

I would not recommend my dog, Irish Setter/Llewelyn Setter mix. Read: BIRD DOG with strong but not refined hunting instincts. Had to leave the pet store 'cause she was on her hind legs trying to get at the birds. In our defense, she was four and a half years old when we got her.

I don't know if this guy will make a good trail dog but my next dog will be a greater swiss mountain dog. Huge, short haired and meant to travel through the swiss mountains

My current dog is great and he is a Rhodesian Ridgeback crossed with Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever and has made a great trail dog. My last service dog was a pit x Staffordshire and was a horrible trail dog. She wouldn't sleep on anything less comfortable then a couch and much preferred several blankets below, a quilt on top of her plus a mattress pad, mattress, box spring and a couple pillows. She was the dog version of the princess and the pea. I had to stop hiking when ever I tried to hike with her. She would stand there staring and grumbling at me every time I stopped.

Blue heeler

Labs

I imagine my friends wolf mix that she had would have been great, take a zero day and he'd come back with a deer (no joking, he really would carry fawns and spikes back to her house during the fall) but that might intimidate the yuppies

I think anything that has some working dog in its blood would be good, especially if the dog is more of an outside dog (tougher pads, less likely to be spoiled, just as likely to roll in the most vile thing ever smelled on the trail (i.e. some thru hikers unwashed sleeping bag))

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    I would put Dachsund probably as the worst hiker. Short and stumpy.

I hiked with Red B and his dachsund Low Profile a couple of years ago. That dog could hike and hike well. He loved being out there.

If I ever hiked with a dog I'd choose a small, intelligent breed that I could pick up if I had to.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

The best hiking dogs by far are those bred for hunting. A good deer dog will hike for more miles than any human and never get tired, as long as it is in a suitable terrain (like the forested appalachians. obviously, they may not do as well in the Whites or on the PCT). The problem is if they are specifically trained for hunting, they will get on a animal trail and wander everywhere, constantly. I've hiked with a dog like this (not my own dog). He always wanders back to camp, but its a pain and I never know if he is off making trouble.

But, if not trained for hunting, but rather as a family pet who goes hiking a lot, these dogs are perfect trail companions. My black-and-tan coonhound will hike forever and want to go more. He is about 55 lbs and likes to sleep outside. If bad weather, he sleeps at the foot of our 2-man tent (with two people inside) without bothering us. Of course, we have a long(er) length tent.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I have hiked with my German SHorthaird Pointer, Roscoe. He is a hunting dog/ family dog. He is trained to point and track, but he lives in the house with us. He loves to be out in the woods and could walk miles and miles further than me. I do keep him on lead when we are on the trail. He is a very good dog, however he has a huge prey drive! He also likes to lick people, and many do not care for that. As a result we keep him on lead, and doesn't seem to mind. It also keeps us moving up those climbs, because he does not like to stop until we are at the top.
    Stumpy

You can never go wrong with butter or bacon!!!!

Images

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/atta...3&d=1191180598

dogs and naps.....

that said, Siberian Huskies can be a difficult breed. Roamers who can run and run, prey-motivated, extremely bright and energetic.... Phoebe's my 5th Husky in 20 yrs, and my first trail dog - she's mad for a week if I leave the house with a pack, and don't take her!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Images

worst kind is any kind that has paris hilton attached to it.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    ... Siberian Huskies can be a difficult breed. Roamers who can run and run, prey-motivated, extremely bright and energetic....
    Yes, I agree to all of it! Definitely an "on-leash" dog! Not stupid, but rather stubborn sometimes. Over the years, I've had 2 out of our 9 that have been good trail dogs (one that might have been, but she's gone now), and one that I'm considering - after hunting season, because she's a red and white (looks like a small deer ).

My first one used to guard my pack while I went downhill for water. The second one was useless as a guard dog, but man! was he a great leader for the sled team!

My standard poodle loves the trail. I just have to keep her trim so that I don't have to remove thistles all day long after a trip.

I have an odd breed for a trail dog, a cockapoo. Mugsy is a large (31 pounder) cockapoo and is perfect for the trail. He instinctively stays close to me, won't chase wildlife, is friendly, can easily hike further than me, and DOES NOT SHEAD. As a downside burs stick to him like magnets.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++