WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Springer to Unicoi Gap

First post. Hello everyone!

Four of us are planning a trip in October from Springer to Unicoi Gap. We're thinking we'll drive down from Kentucky on a Saturday, stay the night somewhere, start hiking on Sunday and finish on a Thursday, stay in a hotel/hostel again, then leave on Friday.

Looking for you GA people's suggestions.

1) Stay at Helen, GA. Leave one car there, drive to Amicalola and leave a car there. Drive back once completed.

2) Park both cars at Amicalola then rely on shuttle service to pick us up at Unicoi to drive us back.

I guess I'm more concerned with how secure the end point will be versus cost of transportation of shuttle service. There will be nothing of value in the second car but who knows...and at the same time, it looks like we would have to get up early to drive back to Amicalola to do the seven to eight miles on day 1.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

aka Kudzu
    Images

I've never (knock on wood) run into problems leaving vehicles at the GA trailheads. However, it takes extra time to stage vehicles at both ends (#1) and that eats up hiking time when you're trying to hit the trail. Here's what we're doing these days: drop one vehicle at the end and get a shuttle to the start.

The benefit is that you only have 1 vehicle to deal with and you don't have to wait for the shuttle when you're finished.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

i got shuttle at Y Walasi Neels Gap about a month ago back to Dicks Creek (76 west of Clayton). Walked in asked for shuttle and she said " can you wait 20 minutes?" the are apparently are set up for it, but I would call and you will pass through on hike.

Images

Check with Ron Haven here on WB - he owns the Hiawassee Inn and I'm sure he can help you with all your logistics. Simple.
    It's a great day to be alive !

I have done this hike in June of 2009. We were dropped off at Springer Mt service road and hiked to unicoi gap. There is plenty of room to leave a car at the trailhead at both ends. I graduated from WKU in 1973 and again in 74.

El Sordo
    Images

whatever option you choose I'd suggest hiking to your car. if you need a shuttle, get that for the start so you know everything will be there waiting for you. Unicoi Gap has always been safe. There's always a first time, but no reports so far. Helen is a bit on the pricey side. You will find less expensive accommodations in Hiawassee if that matters to you.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Thanks for the replies. We're planning on starting the conditioning when it warms up a bit. I've got some new gear to try out and I want to practice carrying less water. I'm 6' 220lbs and always carry alot of water. Usually 100oz bladder and two 32oz Nalgene bottles filled to the top. (And my Miniworks just in case I run out!) I realize I'm going to have to go with less for a 5 day trip. The longest I've ever been out was 3 days and that was back in college.

@58starter - What made you decide to move? There is so much to do in Bowling Green.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Replace your Nalgene bottles with regular water bottles. Much lighter.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Replace your Nalgene bottles with regular water bottles. Much lighter.
    I was reading that yesterday. Finally switched from a Peak 1 Xpert and Duralight pot set to the Pocket Rocket and Backcountry Titanium pot.

My next item will definitely be a new pack but probably not for awhile. I think my current pack weighs somewhere around 8 pounds (using the step on-off-on scale method).

Images

Default Possibly Easier?

You could also throw in the AT approach trail into your trip, it adds 7.5 miles. That would avoid the gravel roads and remote parking are at Springer. The parking at the state park looks about as safe as you can get. As far as water, I have hiked this stretch multiple times and never take more than 2L. In fact I did the approach trail and then the AT to Hawk mountainn and back yesterday and only took 1L. There is generally water near every shelter. YMMV

@58starter - What made you decide to move? There is so much to do in Bowling Green.

I left to start a life of work. I am now retired. There is plenty of water out there so don't carry so much water.

I live in Helen and have a van. I could shuttle you over to Springer if you'd like and you could hike back to your car at Unicoi Gap.

No one has mentioned the Hiker Hostel. . . they shuttle also. Check out hikerhostel.com. And if you stay there you can leave your vehicle in their parking lot. (Plus you get the most yummy hiker breakfast ever!)

You definitely don't want Helen - it's really too far away from the trail, too commercial/tacky, and the better shuttle services are closer to the trail anyway.

Images

I would park at Amicalola and get shuttled to Unicoi. Car would be much safer. I have left a car at Unicoi Gap, and had no problems, but I worried about it.

Journal Entries

I need shuttle contacts I could call for upcoming trip to Springer Mountain. Thanks

I'd leave a car at each trailhead.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I'd leave a car at each trailhead.
    Or spend the nite at Ron Havens hotel in Hiawassee and (1) proceed as suggested above, or (2) leave both cars at Unicoi and have Rons people shuttle you to Amicalola. Less hassle with option (2) but more expense. I've never paid for a shuttle in GA so I have no idea what the going rate is.

I am doing this next week... I will let you know how it and our shuttle goes. We are driving down Sunday to Unicoi Gap. The Shuttle will drive us to springer and we are hiking back to the car. Shuttle cost is $110 for 4 of us. We aren't paying for any hotel space or anything like that, sleeping at unicoi sunday night (not getting there until 2 or 3 a.m. though) and then will probably spend our last night a few miles from the car and finish out then leave... I'll report back on it when we get back.
    "Life is too precious for an intelligent person to have patience with stupid people."
    - Unkown

Quote Originally Posted by jljmonky View Post
    I am doing this next week... I will let you know how it and our shuttle goes. We are driving down Sunday to Unicoi Gap. The Shuttle will drive us to springer and we are hiking back to the car. Shuttle cost is $110 for 4 of us. We aren't paying for any hotel space or anything like that, sleeping at unicoi sunday night (not getting there until 2 or 3 a.m. though) and then will probably spend our last night a few miles from the car and finish out then leave... I'll report back on it when we get back.
    jljmonky, who is shuttling you? we need neels to springer at the end of the month. thanks!

Joyce Monroe, email is [email protected] and phone number is 706-896-9339 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. only she says...
    "Life is too precious for an intelligent person to have patience with stupid people."
    - Unkown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++