WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have the regular Seedhouse 1 and it's a much better weight/durability tent IMHO. But I just got the Go Lite lair insert mated with a 8x10 sil-tarp and it's a neat shelter. But I only have had that set up out two nights and no weather to speak of. And now the bugs gone it's a tarp and a bivy. Peace. J.J.B.
    Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don’t matter, and those that matter don’t mind. - Dr. Seuss<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD...-4-Season.html

from PCT to AT to many others between
    "I am just going outside, and may be some time."
    - Lawrence Oates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by spanish View Post
    Hello everyone,

I currently use an Eureka Apex 2A, It has the aluminum poles and is a 2 person tent. I have found that I like a tent large enough for my self and my gear. I do hike in the winter and the tent has done a good job with the snow and rain. I just think it's a lil heavy. Aprox 5 lbs. I have looked at the tarps, but cant get past the thought of me waking up with one of natures visitors coiled up next to me in the morning. So.....I have stuck with a tent so that I wake up with what I only brought in with me. Anyways, any one have any tents for 2 people (me and my gear) that is on the lite side?

Thanks,
    Spanish

here is a great combo tarp,hammock and around 3 lbs i swear and live by it neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

If you don't plan on camping in snow, I would use a tarptent. I used the Squall 2 for the last 5 months and absolutely love it. Looking at the tarptent site the Cloudburst 2 and Rainshadow 2 look roomier than the squall 2, and the Rainshadow is listed as 3+ season tent.. so not for heavy snow but can take some? E-mail henry.

We were skeptical at first, having used free standing 2 piece tents all our life-but we would never do a long distance hike during 3+ seasons with anything but a tarptent after our experience. It would take actual winter hiking, like december in Minnesota or February in Vermont to have me take a different tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteroo View Post
    If you don't plan on camping in snow, I would use a tarptent. I used the Squall 2 for the last 5 months and absolutely love it. Looking at the tarptent site the Cloudburst 2 and Rainshadow 2 look roomier than the squall 2, and the Rainshadow is listed as 3+ season tent.. so not for heavy snow but can take some? E-mail henry.

We were skeptical at first, having used free standing 2 piece tents all our life-but we would never do a long distance hike during 3+ seasons with anything but a tarptent after our experience. It would take actual winter hiking, like december in Minnesota or February in Vermont to have me take a different tent.
    No condensation problems or any other problems I presume?

I recently read an article on the Big Agnes SL1 (or 2) that said the tent was a good tent but had a few problems. The door arrangement allowed moisture in when you entered/exited and was a wee bit tough on larger folks. The fly, unless it was pulled exactly so-so, allowed condensation to collect.
    I was a bit disappointed as I started to buy one. I like the mostly net feature because I like sleeping cool. I had a Summit 2P that was about the same at less than 3 lbs and it was a great tent while it lasted which wasn't very long.
    I currently use the Quarter Dome (which is apparently no longer available) at around 4 lbs. I'm a big guy so the extra lb. doesn't really bother me. And after having beat the hell out of my Half Dome, which has not only survived but is still in excellent condition, I figure I couldn't go too wrong.
    However, I would like to hear from folks that have used the SL1 (probalby too small for my taste) myself. Did you encounter the aforementioned problems? Likes? Dislikes?
    BTW, this tent is available from BackCountry Edge for $219. The SL2 is $274.

For one person the tarp tent Contrail weighs 23.5 oz I believe.. I think this is the best weight/tent ratio out there for a fully enclosed tent...

I still really like my old Walrus Arch Rival XV. 34 sq ft of space, good sitting height, pretty easy to pitch and reasonable weight. It's been very durable at 9 yrs old. I wouldn't use it too often in the dead of a northern winter, it really won't stand up to more than an inch or two of heavy snow.

Walrus made some darn good tents.
    http://www.honedesign.com/sites/walr...rch_rival.html

Registered User Chris_Asheville's Avatar
    Images

It's tough to go wrong with a Marmot tent. They are light, easy to set up and have a rain fly that does a great job keeping you dry.

I wouldn't worry too much about critters, or if they really annoy you, you could add the netting at the base.

a rare condensation problem, maybe 1 out of every 20 times, and then it wasn't much. My hiking partner started the AT alone with a contral-I think it leaves something to be desired-the 'struts' at the back and the lack of a solid pole arch (aka: a square box back end) just invites too many problems-for some more sturdiness and space the squall 2, cloudburst 2, etc. I believe there is a Squall that is a 'single person' version and that seemed more desireable than the contrail, after I saw them side by side.

I like the Hubba, but like the roominess in the Hubba Hubba, any use the latter for just yourself, or does the weight not justify the extra room?
    ad astra per aspera

Images

I can't say enough good things about my Big Agnes SL 2. My buddy and I hiked Springer to Neels Gap a couple of weeks ago. He's happy with his MSR Zoid but liked the freestanding SL 2. He's shopping around now and tells me the best price to be found is at http://www.backcountry.com/store/BAG...ml?id=rQhIDK2d

Yup, I second that!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    tarptent contrail
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

I always advocate the North Face Tadpole as a one person plus gear tent. I've had nothing but good luck with it, and it's big enough for two smallish people if they leave the gear outside.

Default Tarptent Cloudburst

I have this and it's a pretty good single wall shelter. I have the old model but have had the bathtub floor put in recently. I can't really see how you could get wet in this shelter with the new floor. The beaks are designed very well and rain would have to be near sideways, and near ground level, to find it's way inside. It weighs around 2.6lbs with pegs and guys. It sleeps two very comfortably and is a palace for one. Yes, you will get some condensation but it's no drama. Also the floor is narrower than the fly so any condensation will roll down the sides and drip outside your bathtub floor. I would highly recommend seam sealing all stressed seams on this shelter as they seem a bit flimsy in some areas.

Images

Default Tarptent

I'd strongly consider the Tarptents. I used the Squall 2 over the summer and it makes a fantastic shelter. It withstood several downpours and condensation was never a problem. I never actually weighed it but I don't think it was more than a couple of lbs.

The Squall is good for two people plus you can stoor you gear at the bottom but it makes it kind of tight with 2 plus gear. For 1, all of your gear would be able to go inside and have lots of extra room. I recently just got a Rainshadow for when the wife goes with me (she likes to have all her gear inside).

However, I would like to hear from folks that have used the SL1 (probalby too small for my taste) myself. Did you encounter the aforementioned problems? Likes? Dislikes?
    I recently replaced my ancient 2 man Moss with a Big A SL1. I've spent a few nights out in it, it's light, just enough room for 1 with some gear inside and room for pack and boots in vestibule, and dry. Spent 1 night at 3800' in wind and rain and no leaks. The opening from the top of vestibule zipper to the tent zipper is very close so when getting in or out there is chance for some dripping into the very front of tent from either rain or condensation. To me that's minor inconvience. It is best staked out to prevent the fly and mesh from contacting one another and therefore eliminating condensation drips. I like it for what it is, a minimal shelter. 199.00 on sale at EMS
    Oh, if you click on my galley, there is a pic at top of page 2 showing the tent set up on a platform. Had to use rocks to to anchor the fly and tent.
    Last edited by woodsy; 10-13-2007 at 08:33.
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    I recently replaced my ancient 2 man Moss with a Big A SL1. I've spent a few nights out in it, it's light, just enough room for 1 with some gear inside and room for pack and boots in vestibule, and dry. Spent 1 night at 3800' in wind and rain and no leaks. The opening from the top of vestibule zipper to the tent zipper is very close so when getting in or out there is chance for some dripping into the very front of tent from either rain or condensation. To me that's minor inconvience. It is best staked out to prevent the fly and mesh from contacting one another and therefore eliminating condensation drips. I like it for what it is, a minimal shelter. 199.00 on sale at EMS
    Oh, if you click on my galley, there is a pic at the bottom right of the opening page showing the tent set up on a platform. Had to use rocks to to anchor the fly and tent.
    Right now its listed at $249.
    http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...=1192203326681

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++