WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: On the trail the camera I use(d) is/was:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Cameras

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-P200 6oz and will do either photo's or movie's. Is's 7.2 mega pixels. takes a good photo.
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

We used a Pentax 35 mm with all the bell$ and whi$tles for many years. It did an excellent job. It lived in it's own little padded, waterproof case on the male dinos hip belt - meaning many shots were lost because of the time and movement involved in getting it out. We now use a weather resistant Olympus Stylus 300 digital - pretty much a point and shoot, but with a few nice features (auto settings for macro, night shooting, panoramic shooting, a remote so you can photograph yourself and a movie mode should we ever see a really nice bear or snake) It has a 1 GB DX card - that's enough memory to take about 1300 photos so we don't ever have to worry about taking as many shots as we want of all the beauty that is the AT. It lives in the male dino's front pocket most of the time while we are hiking, but has a waterproof case for bad weather.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 08-04-2005 at 19:40.

I have the new Pentax Waterproof 5 MP camera and really enjoy it. Check out the link below for some pics I've taken with it.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Images

Default Snap Shots vs Photographs

This is a question that I struggle with everytime I pack. Should I carry the Minolta 35 mm with its tripod or not? How many lenses should I take? As Peaks says it depends on what sort of pictures you want to take. If you are looking for a simple record of places and people that you run into along the way then the simpler the better. Digital should save you money on film processing and I would certainly say that as much digital as you have taste and budget for would be a good deal. On the other hand if you imagine (as I only "imagine" at this point) that you are going to bring back an image that captures all of the experience - emotion, texture, taste and smell, then you will probably end up, like I do, dragging 3 or 4 pounds of gear up the trail. I mean you need slow film so you need a tripod. The Tamron compact telephoto zoom is a compormise that I usually make so I only carry one lense but nevertheless, it adds up. I just got back from Rainier National Park and it was, I think, worth it. I'll post photos soon.

Right now I am trying a case that will fit on my waist belt and not be too much in the way. I usually carry the camera in my pack which limits impromptu shots with the Slick light weight tripod strapped on the outside.
    not all who wander are lost - JRR Tolkein

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++