WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default True ghost stories of the AT

Since Halloween is coming up fast, and I am also a paranormal investigator, I was wondering if anyone would like to share any paranormal or strange experiences on trail. Some of the stories I heard are usually campfire stories, but has anyone actually been spooked on the AT.

I have heard stories about hikers camping our near Uncle Nick Grindstaff's grave, and some nights hikers have heard a dog barking within a few feet and a mummbling voice but no one else would be around.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Default Pierce Pond Ghost

I've always thought that there were logical or scientific answers for all of these paranormal phenomena and probably always would have if not for the two nights I spent at Pierce Pond in June.
    Both nights were exquisite in temperature and weather, and no bugs which at the time I found quite odd. In hindsight it seems portent.
    I was alone, had a great campfire and played my harmonica and sang the first night. As the embers dimmed I sat on the edge of the lean-to writing in my journal as the night sounds started to get my attention. They were just different and I knew someone or something was about. I could feel it.
    Through the moonlight I could see something that kind of took me aback and I sat still as possible while trying to slouch into my sleeping bag.
    There is no doubt it was a figure that was moving across my sight between me and the pond.
    It was definitely the form of a spectral, woodsy, outdoorsman type with a small pack and what appeared to be fishing gear.
    The figure faded into the night and I woke refreshed and relieved to be on the trail in such a beautiful location. I thought about heading out as my first experience like this had me unnerved. But the day was beautiful and I mostly forgot about it as I stayed on to enjoy another day.
    But as my camfire lit the trees around me that night, this same Woodsy character reappeared and as the fire crackled its eyes turned toward me and I was truly frightened for the first time in my life and I ran up the hill away from the lean-to and didn't stop til I could barely breathe.
    I finally had to slump down next to a tree and wait for the morning.
    When daylight came I found my way back to the lean-to, packed up and went to Tim's for pancakes and told him of what I'd seen.
    He'd heard of this too. It seems for years this vision has been haunting a wide area of Maine although he was unsure if it had ever caused any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    I've always thought that there were logical or scientific answers for all of these paranormal phenomena and probably always would have if not for the two nights I spent at Pierce Pond in June.
    Both nights were exquisite in temperature and weather, and no bugs which at the time I found quite odd. In hindsight it seems portent.
    I was alone, had a great campfire and played my harmonica and sang the first night. As the embers dimmed I sat on the edge of the lean-to writing in my journal as the night sounds started to get my attention. They were just different and I knew someone or something was about. I could feel it.
    Through the moonlight I could see something that kind of took me aback and I sat still as possible while trying to slouch into my sleeping bag.
    There is no doubt it was a figure that was moving across my sight between me and the pond.
    It was definitely the form of a spectral, woodsy, outdoorsman type with a small pack and what appeared to be fishing gear.
    The figure faded into the night and I woke refreshed and relieved to be on the trail in such a beautiful location. I thought about heading out as my first experience like this had me unnerved. But the day was beautiful and I mostly forgot about it as I stayed on to enjoy another day.
    But as my camfire lit the trees around me that night, this same Woodsy character reappeared and as the fire crackled its eyes turned toward me and I was truly frightened for the first time in my life and I ran up the hill away from the lean-to and didn't stop til I could barely breathe.
    I finally had to slump down next to a tree and wait for the morning.
    When daylight came I found my way back to the lean-to, packed up and went to Tim's for pancakes and told him of what I'd seen.
    He'd heard of this too. It seems for years this vision has been haunting a wide area of Maine although he was unsure if it had ever caused any trouble.
    Hmmmmmmmmm
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmm
    What????

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    What????
    Well i was in the neighborhood, might have unknowingly gone out sleepwalking in the night
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Well i was in the neighborhood, might have unknowingly gone out sleepwalking in the night
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it. . . . . . . BOO!!

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    Since Halloween is coming up fast, and I am also a paranormal investigator, I was wondering if anyone would like to share any paranormal or strange experiences on trail. Some of the stories I heard are usually campfire stories, but has anyone actually been spooked on the AT.
    No, but I think the story of Jane's Bald has some potential as a ghost story:

http://www.tehcc.org/janebald.htm

Jonathan

Images

Ben, Glad to see that I am not the only one here who ghost hunts, too. I have heard something recently about an area near Blood Mountain. I'll try and get you some details.

I'm not usually susceptible to ghostly encounters, but I was very much "spooked" by something that seemed to be following me down the trail in VA as I passed the crash site of Audie Murphy's aircraft (Murphy was a WWII hero).

Images

It's a shame that people actually need it explained to them who Audie Murphy is.

How about that spooky cabin near Sinking Creek valley in Virginia?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    It's a shame that people actually need it explained to them who Audie Murphy is.

i stayed there 20 years ago. didn't see no stinkin' ghost.

Images

Maybe they were 'skeered of you.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Dudleytown

Not on the AT. Was with a group camping at Rivers Bridge...a Civil War site here in SC. One of the bloodiest battles.The privy was about 100 yards from where we were camping. Me and another guy was heading that way for our final stop for the night. As we walked down it was as though we were being watched. The hairs were standing up on the back of my neck! We played it off as silly. While I was waiting for him to do whatever I could hear footsteps coming down the trail to the privy. I shouted out thinking it was one of the other guys. The steps got closer still no answer. I then walked about 20 feet up trail...nothing! I thought maybe it was a opossum or something. After he came out and I went in and came out he told me of what happened to him. The same thing...I did not tell him as to what had happened to me so that was wierd!
    On our way back to the campsite it sounded like two or three poeple following us. As I turned around I caught a shadow, or what I percieved as a shadow crossing the road. Luckily my friend saw it two. We picked up the pace back to camp!
    That was about a year ago. I called the ranger in that area to see if we could get the group site again....they have closed it for unspecified reasons!
    I was talking to a lady the other day and we were talking about "strange" campouts and when I started my story and mentioned that it had happened at River's Bridge she spoke up and said..."I will never camp there again, we had to leave in the middle of the night." She went on to tell about the "shadow people" that ran them off!
    Now here is my thought...I do not believe in ghost....I do not believe in things I can't see. I do not have an answer for what happened....mass hysteria....mass whatever! I will go back there one day and "check it out" though!

Two local ones:

http://www.hauntmastersclub.com/plac...per_trail.html

http://www.hauntmastersclub.com/plac...ove_creek.html

-The second link refers to "Green Cove Mary" who is supposedly fond of hopping into the backseat of your car if you stop in a certain spot on Chestnut Mtn. Road

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Alright,

This summer there were four of us camping at Overmountain shelter as the trail comes out of the trees towards the barn in that first cleared area on the left. Laying in my tent around 11pm I heard what sounded like a hiker coming towards us on the trail to the barn. I yelled out, "Is that a hiker coming in?" as the tromping was awfully loud. No answer, so I said it again, and this time the tromping started moving fast and the others heard it as well. All of a sudden the tromping stopped and it was followed up by what we thought sounded the most like flapping wings as something moved by our tents, we all heard it pass, and made the weirdest screech-like sound.

After that we all got out of our tents and tried to figure out what it was, we decided that a small bear came up the trail and big bird came along and carried it away for unknown reasons. Or perhaps it was a ghost, who knows but it did scare the krap out of us at the time.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    Alright,

This summer there were four of us camping at Overmountain shelter as the trail comes out of the trees towards the barn in that first cleared area on the left. Laying in my tent around 11pm I heard what sounded like a hiker coming towards us on the trail to the barn. I yelled out, "Is that a hiker coming in?" as the tromping was awfully loud. No answer, so I said it again, and this time the tromping started moving fast and the others heard it as well. All of a sudden the tromping stopped and it was followed up by what we thought sounded the most like flapping wings as something moved by our tents, we all heard it pass, and made the weirdest screech-like sound.

After that we all got out of our tents and tried to figure out what it was, we decided that a small bear came up the trail and big bird came along and carried it away for unknown reasons. Or perhaps it was a ghost, who knows but it did scare the krap out of us at the time.
    Most likely it was mice. I've seen them on the trail around shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Wondered about that myself. One of several interesting sights on the day I "finished" the AT.

A bit big for a "cabin" though (more like a house, IMO.) I walked around and stared for a long while wondering what the story was. Why was it still standing, why hadn't it been torn down... etc. There were black handprints all over it. Just to add to the spooky effect, I suppose.

This morning I saw a woman walking her bulldog through a pet cemetary. Didn't happen near the trail. Still, even if she wasn't using the dog as a vessel to steal unrisen souls, it is the strangest thing I've seen all day.

I see thread people!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++