WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Why isn't this in the humor forum? There are no true ghost stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Its called fox fire. Its real famous around Watauga Lake and up through the Doe Valley into Virginia. Its similiar to the Brown Mountain Lights in NC. There are a number of legends and so-called logical explanations for it.

I was day hiking around the lake. I even heard what I thought were dogs barking and howling at the shelter. I went up to the shelter to see if a hiker was there, but no one was there. And I was the only one on trail in the area of the shelter, no body had passed me on the way in or out. And there were no boats on that side of the lake. I thought it could have been a wild dogs on the mountain.
    From their descriptions I don't believe it was Fox Fire, because it was floating around, like orbs. I'm not saying they were ghosts or anything, I'm one of those people that are naturally skeptical, but it was interesting to witness their reactions to this sighting, whatever it was.

With respect to the Brown Mountain Lights (BML), from the descriptions I've heard that also would not be Fox Fire, since they are seen floating. I view the BML issue sort of like other floating light phenomenons, such as the Paulding light http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulding_Light

However, these type of light phenomenons I see as different than what they saw at the Shelter, because they were basically right there, whereas the Paulding light (and other similar sightings) are further away from the observer(s) and apparently unapproachable.

I'm not saying they are supernatural, if there is such a thing, but I don't believe that science has described them yet, despite all the "explanations" out there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Why isn't this in the humor forum? There are no true ghost stories.
    Yes there are. I thought just like you at one time, but had a couple of experiences that changed my mind. I guess it's just something you have to go through for yourself.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    ...There are no true ghost stories.
    You're probably right, but there does seem to be something going on and shouldn't be ignored by science or explained away with typical contempt. However, I do understand the contempt, to a point, because this subject does attract a lot of wacky people, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to it, but it also doesn't mean it's supernatural.

This was an interesting book I read not too long ago on the subject, by a lady (Katherine Ramsland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Ramsland ) that accidently came across a "haunted" ring http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Investig...764304&sr=1-35

But I'm not trying to "convert" you or anyone, just saying I find it interesting subject, once you clear away all the garbage created by the idiots, and there's a lot of it out there.

Personally, I don't quite know what to think, other than the skeptics have it wrong, but not totally; I do believe most "sightings" are from people who want to believe, but then you have them stories that just seem to suggest something else is going on.

Images

Gold Bond, "I see thread people". Too funny. Good way to start my day.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wormer View Post
    On two separate days west of Monson last year I heard voices on the trail. The first was a group of people speaking, so my mom and I stepped off the trail to let them pass and they never appeared. The second time I heard a female voice talking, without finding the source.
    Voices carry a long way in the woods in the right conditions. Many of us think that we are a long way from other people but there are a lot of people on the Trail much of the year. In addition, the human mind frequently attempts to categorize certain sounds as voices. Happens all the time to me when I'm near a babbling brook or if the wind is blowing just right. Unless you can make out sentences and a conversation (which I can never quite seem to despite my mind telling me it is a human voice), then it's just noise (or an astral projection of course).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Search "Weird Hikes" on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Weird-Hikes-Co...ds=weird+hikes

It's a collection of interesting short stories about the author's hikes, most of them involve a bit of the paranormal, shall we say. Not a bad read.

The very first story is about a hike in the Glen adjacent to Antioch College in Ohio. Interesting to me as my wife and I both went there. (She graduated from there, whereas I was just passing through.)

Quote Originally Posted by AT-HITMAN2005 View Post
    is this the house everyone is talking about...sure creeped me out even if it isn't the same one. hope this works.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...?i=19453&c=530

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...atid=newimages
    Yes it's located just past Laurel Creek Shelter on the Left about 100ft from the trail but on my 2012 thru I wanted to see if the stories was true so I slept in it and so I will report their is no Ghost in that house but I did get the best night sleep I have had on the trail.
    but this is a true ghost story I was camped at Punch Bowl shelter and in the middle of the night I saw a small figure walking around just out side my tent but their was no one else camped around I was totally alone, the next morning I got up and went out side NO foot pints, I believe it was the Ghost of Little Ottie Cline Powell. a couple of days later I was taking a break and this couple came walking up and they asked me if I experienced anything weird around the Punch Bowl I told them about the small figure and the story about Little Ottie and they also said they saw it, I truly believe that the Punch Bowl is Haunted by Little Ottie Cline Powell's Ghost.

Images

OK, I got a good one.
    I have been section hiking the LT this year. As I've worked my way further North and the season has gotten colder I've seen less and less people, until my last hike where I ran into absolutely no one for 24 hours (Well, a few people at a road crossing and one trail runner who must have run for miles to get there... Maybe she was a ghost? But no hikers)

Anyway, on my second day I finally reached my hiking meditation. I zoned out and focused on nothing but putting one foot in front of another. As I was going I thought I heard a few people talking behind me. I slowed down, because frankly, I would have welcomed a friendly conversation, but the talking stopped and I was once again in silence. Off and on over the next 5 or 6 miles I heard footsteps and leafs rustling behind me as if someone was approaching. I would stop to confirm it wasn't the sound of my paints swishing or my pack rubbing against my jacket and the footsteps would continue until coming to a stop.

I knew the shelter I was staying at that night was popular and there was a side trail to reach it not far from a road, so I was hoping for some company and getting a little freaked out. When I finally reached the shelter to my dismay no one was there and light was fading fast. As I sat there making dinner an older man approached wearing jeans, no gear and a very nice sweater. Not typical hiking gear for Northern VT in October. He asked if he could join me. We chatted for a long time. Probably over an hour. I shared my dinner with him and he told me all sorts of stories about the history of the area. The conversation shifted to people who have gone missing on the LT, and then, he stood up and said "Sometimes I swear I hear them walking behind me when I'm alone out here." We said our good byes and then he walked off into the night with no head lamp. Strange,
    When I got home I looked up his name only to discover he had died on the trail years ago!!! Ok, just kidding on the last part, but the rest is true.
    He told me he was local and took the hike out to the shelter frequently... Was he a ghost? Probably not. Heck, he probably has a whiteblaze account. When I woke up the next morning I just had an eerie feeling. I didn’t even eat breakfast. I just took off and ate a poptart as I flew down the trail.

Images

Has anyone mentioned Bennington VT / Glastonbury MT?

If you've never seen it check out the documentary!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdyysF0VC20

This has it all, Ghost Towns, murders, 5 people missing in 5 years, "The Bennington Monster", "The Bennington Triangle." It was on unsolved mysteries. I'm glad I didn't know this before i hiked this section. AT / LT. Cool story. The doc was a college project, but it's well done and well researched.

Journal Entries

Ok, here goes and I don’t think anyone can match these. As for safety I would not worry. I don’t go looking for these they just happen.

One night I was set up and it seemed kind of ready to storm. It seemed very humid and oppressive. I either fell asleep or was dreaming or was I awake? I know there was a small cemetery below and who knows, maybe she was not from there. I suddenly heard a woman’s voice say “you know it’s raining heavy down in _____. Be careful! I woke up and nothing was happening for about a half hour. Then a heavy thunderstorm rolled in. I was stealth camping and no one else was around.Was I being warned?

Another time in New Jersey I saw what looked like a black and white picture of another backpacker coming at me. I just stood aside and he passed me by and disappeared. Nothing was said. Ghost? Imagination?

I also have camped twice in a place that’s considered the most haunted place in America but nothing happened. I also camped at a shelter but Little Ottie never showed himself so I guess I’m safe there.

I’ve had a lot more encounters over the years and I think these two are more than enough to reveal. I never freaked like most people, I just kept my composure.

I also thought I heard what sounded like a crazy radio in Harriman State Park that somehow always seemed out of reach.

Now it's up the the ghost hunters to tell me if these experiences were real or my imagination.

Journal Entries

I also passed a cemetary in New Jersey where I would stop and get some water at a spigot near the road. As I was going to it I heard a voice say very low "the water's off" and it surly was. Oh well let's see some of your beat that. These things reallly happened.

Virginia Tortoise

After my GA to VA section hike in 1999 a lady contacted me about using some pictures from my web site in her book, I said yes, she sent me the book and it was about strange happenings in the Smokey Mountains:

http://www.amazon.com/Smoky-Mountain...moky+mountains

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    After my GA to VA section hike in 1999 a lady contacted me about using some pictures from my web site in her book, I said yes, she sent me the book and it was about strange happenings in the Smokey Mountains:

http://www.amazon.com/Smoky-Mountain...moky+mountains
    Her name is Juanitta Baldwin and she's written quite a few books on the Smoky Mountains, if anyone is interested. http://www.amazon.com/Juanitta-Baldwin/e/B000AP9EZC

Images

Here is a short video of a scary 'campfire story.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-FN3J0ymEk

Gives a whole knew meaning to the idea of 'finding yourself' out on the trail.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Well, the story is short but not very pleasant for me. As in my childhood, I read with friends stories about ghosts with illustrations. Another couple of weeks probably scared of all kinds of shadows. Then passed for a while. I forgot about this book. But there was described in it one ghost, which the train moved his head (cut off). And already being older we walked next to the rails when suddenly I saw a figure. It seemed to me that it was pouring like a reflection in the water or as if you were looking through a dark glass. What I remember is that this body was in good shape (approximately as an adult male), however too short for such a size ... As if without a head ...

For those of us that think that science can explain all these things I'm here to tell ya that science simply ignores things that it does not understand, or lacks the vocabulary to describe.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    For those of us that think that science can explain all these things I'm here to tell ya that science simply ignores things that it does not understand, or lacks the vocabulary to describe.
    For those of us that think that religion can explain all these things I'm here to tell ya that religion simply ignores things that it does not understand, or lacks the vocabulary to describe.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    For those of us that think that religion can explain all these things I'm here to tell ya that religion simply ignores things that it does not understand, or lacks the vocabulary to describe.
    "George Orwell once remarked that the average person today is about as naive as was the average person in the Middle Ages. In the Middle Ages people believed in the authority of their religion, no matter what.*Today, we believe in the authority of our science, no matter what."

—*Neil Postman, Informing Ourselves to Death (1990)

Neil Postman: Informing Ourselves to Death*

I ain't afraid of no ghosts!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++