WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Photos

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
    Sly Reynard: Do I see a Parsons Terrier here? It'll be hard to keep up with this dog once you start hiking. I hear they will go the whole way! In other words, they are a tough little buzzard . . . er . . . dog!
    I'm not sure. She's a purebred animal shelter mutt. I call her the Frankenstein dog, because she looks like she was made out of spare parts. Here's another picture showing her body. Pretty sure there's some Beagle in there, as well as Bassett or Corgi (short legs).
    She can hike, though. We'll put in 11 hr days in the summer, and she's right there with me.

Images

Default My future hiking partners

Here's Manny (2 yr old, recently adopted 90 lb part choc lab, part bear, part draft horse ) and Bella (1 year old 30 lb sheltie). This was this morning in the backyard. They're a bit too wild yet for the trail, Manny wasn't well trained before we adopted him, and Bella is still learning - as in we're gaining on breaking the herding / circling instinct. I need to get them better at walking with me rather than taking me for walks. Manny thinks he's a draft horse and Bella herds everything - including cats (yes, it actually can be done).

"That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Baron
    Images

Camping in SNP...

‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Images

awww, he's a mini version of my dog ....
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    awww, he's a mini version of my dog ....

Uh-oh, you called her a "he". She might take offense...
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    Uh-oh, you called her a "he". She might take offense...
    Doh, i thought about it after i hit post .... let her know i ment no disrespect. heh

Images

These are some newer photos of Erwin. We are up in the Adirondacks, he did 11 miles up there and 4 peaks.

Rooney in the Grayson Highlands - beautiful fall day!

out for a day hike

Journal Entries
    Images

4eyedbyzzard: How old is the dog? Looks pretty big, could prob hered cats or pull a cart alright! How much food you gonna carry for the dog?
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

Bucherm: Haw, haw, this is a cutey doggey! Don't have to carry much dog food with this one, huh?
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

4eyedbyzzard: How old is the dog? Looks pretty big, could prob hered cats or pull a cart alright! How much food you gonna carry for the dog?
    Manny is 2 years, 3 months old, 90 lbs. They said he's a Chocolate Lab, but he's as strong as a draft horse. He stands about 26" at the shoulder. He's a big, BIG baby. We adopted him in April. His former owners (military couple) gave him back to his breeder due to divorcing and deployment, so we took him in. He's having some hind leg and hip issues already (sigh). Could just be stiff from a leg operation he had as a puppy but we're getting it checked out Friday. It's gotten worse as it's gotten colder. He eats about 3 1/2 cups per day of low-fat chicken meal based kibble per day. I'm getting a pack for him - trying to find a used Ruffwear that fits. I got two here on WB. The smaller one fit the Sheltie perfectly, but the medium wouldn't fit him, so I'll sell it and keep looking for a large one.

The little Sheltie behind him is Bella. She's just over a year old, weighs 29 lbs., and is about 16" at the shoulder. She's the one who herds the cats - and anything else that moves. She already can run / hike 20 miles a day, it's just all in a 10 foot circle. Like many Shelties, she can be a bit of a nutcase at times. What's nice is that when I put the pack on her, she really settles down. I've only had it on here a few ties but it is promising.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Woodsy-- What kind of dog is Bear? I have a yellow Australian Shepherd hiking (and SAR K9) buddy who looks exactly like Bear but without a tail. He was a stray so I have no background info about him.

Baron
    Images

Bucherm: Haw, haw, this is a cutey doggey! Don't have to carry much dog food with this one, huh?
    Nope! She does a pretty good job of carrying her own food anyway.

Default BooBoo Bear

she loved the snow!

Samson and Jonah are great trail companions. Taking them out tonight matter of fact.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Images

Default Trailwork Dog

Here is my Lab/Pyranees "Saint Buddy" during his stint as an AT Boundary Monitor assistant in training. He was being trained to help locate the buried AT Boundary Markers. This was taken on the Boundary near the summit of Mt Cube in New Hampshire last summer.

Sadly he was stricken by LP (laryngeal Paralysis) about two months later and even with major throat operations he still passed away in August.

The boundary markers are often buried by forest duff as deep as two feet and are very hard to locate at times.

Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. dribbles View Post
    Woodsy-- What kind of dog is Bear? I have a yellow Australian Shepherd hiking (and SAR K9) buddy who looks exactly like Bear but without a tail. He was a stray so I have no background info about him.
    Bear, as far as we know (rescued dog) is part Golden Retriever and part Border Collie . High energy and aggressive.
    He has more herding instincts than birding instincts though.
    better pic here :

WALK ON

Images

Definitely a lot of Border Collie or Sheltie in there woodsy. Nice looking dog.

Images

woodsy, your dog is great looking .... if i didn't have my pitts i'd sure pick her up if i seen her in a shelter .... really nice mix! I had a golden retriever when i was younger .... great great dogs.

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++