WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seedhouse SL1

Default Seedhouse SL1

Recevied my SL1 in the mail today. I went outsideto set it up right then and there.

Being that it was my first time using a 1 piece "Y Pole" design tent, it took me 10 or 15 minutes to get it sorted out. As soon as I got a feel for it, it went up in a breeze. I put the rain fly on it as well, grabbed my thermarest (full length for my winter trip) and my sleeping bag, threw it all in there and climbed in.

I gotta say, I'm pretty pleased with how I fit in there. One thing I did make sure to do was stake out all the corners, and paid special attention to the sides so I got full internal floor space in width. There was enough room for a 6'5 guy stretched out w/o touching the sides. I wouldn't be able to fit much other gear in there with me, but the vestibule *should* be able to fit my pack (Nimbus Ozone....new pack, so it's on the way) if you were to get a bit creative. In the warmer months I plan to put my backpack under my legs when I use my 3/4 length sleeping pad.

Overall, this tent fit my expectations fully. I was looking for a good lightweight tent, that would fit my size. This tent fits those expectations.
    Just wake up in the morning, stretch out, grab some coffee, and say to yourself, "Today is a good day to HIKE!" ~ Big Cranky

I also have the SL1......you'll really like it!

sleeping in it tonight in the backyard
    Just wake up in the morning, stretch out, grab some coffee, and say to yourself, "Today is a good day to HIKE!" ~ Big Cranky

Images

Awesome! I use an SL2 and couldn't be happier. Enjoy!

My biggest concern about the seedhouse was not how IT would weather a storm, but how *I* would weather a storm inside. I understand it's big enough for a 6'5 man to sleep comfortably in, but Is there enough room in there for said man to not go stir crazy or succumb to cabin fever if having to wait 6-8 hours inside during a storm?

Quote Originally Posted by Spastic View Post
    My biggest concern about the seedhouse was not how IT would weather a storm, but how *I* would weather a storm inside. I understand it's big enough for a 6'5 man to sleep comfortably in, but Is there enough room in there for said man to not go stir crazy or succumb to cabin fever if having to wait 6-8 hours inside during a storm?
    The dark colored rainfly does make it a bit dark inside the SL1, especially during a storm. I just hang out in a lean-to during rain!

Just Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Spastic View Post
    one of the reasons I have an orange sleeping bag

I found the inside "cozy" not confining....of course I'm not claustorphobic....I coudl see this as being an issue with someone who doesn't do well in small places

I own a Seedhouse SL1 also. Though it is not a bright color the fly is thin and seems almost transparent so it looks bright outside on overcast days ..even on moonlit nights.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I know I wouldn't be able to handle staying in it for long periods of time. I am 5'6" and there is not enough room for me to sit inside without my head rubbing the top.

Okay, so after having slept in it a night, I can say Im fully satisified with it. I roll around alot, and never did I roll into a side, or feel cramped.

Guys that are 6'2+ thhis tent will work for you

Images

Your opinion is the only one that matters. Glad you're satisfied!

So what was your reason for going with the SL 1 over other solo tents? Just curious. Was it due to the reviews you got here at WB?
    BTW, I spent about 14 hrs in my SL 1 during a rainy windy overnighter, it's cozy in there.
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    I own a Seedhouse SL1 also. Though it is not a bright color the fly is thin and seems almost transparent so it looks bright outside on overcast days ..even on moonlit nights.
    I love my SL1, but I am one of those crazy people who needs lots of light........it's a long story.

Just Jim

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    So what was your reason for going with the SL 1 over other solo tents? Just curious. Was it due to the reviews you got here at WB?
    BTW, I spent about 14 hrs in my SL 1 during a rainy windy overnighter, it's cozy in there.
    partly to the revies on here, but more importantly:

super lightweight double wall freestanding tent

and, he has enough room length wise for my 6'5 body to fit

I'll have some pics of it set up in my back yard in a minute

Whats the length of that pad in the picture?

Full length thermarest

I forget the exact length, but I'm 6'5 and I got about 3 inches left of pad....so 6'3 or so

im 6' tall, own this tent. love this tent. plenty of room, super light, fast setup and packing. expensive? yes but probably the best thing in my pack

love this tent. best investment to date.

Great fotogs! I do like the tent photos, any tent photos, all tent photos . . .

Let me desribe the tent type: It's a modified A-frame(front A with a ridge pole). It's not much different in design than the A-frame Eureka Timberline that has the front A with the ridgeline pole(but no back A pole). The ridge pole on the Seedhouse becomes the single pole on the back as with many standard A-frames, etc.

Thank you. Your Professor of Tents, Fungus Walt.

BTW, the other tent is a modified dome called a two pole wedge. Very common, probably the most popular tent nowadays. If it had a third pole crossing at the top it would be a true dome YAWN.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++