WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default College Students/Grads NOBO at Beginning of March

Hey guys, so like alot of you I am planning on heading out NOBO in the beginning of March. As I'm sitting here in my 9am Statistics class I thought to myself, "I wonder how many other students are as crazy as I am?" So I'm just putting up a tread to try to get some college students heading NOBO at the beginning of March. If there's enough interest maybe we could all meet and start out together. Just a thought...

Images

Find me on Facebook if you're interested. (Greg Roland / Iowa State)

im taking the first semester of my senior year off. it'll be great to see some youngin's like myself out there. chances are i won't keep up at first, being a slow hiker, but maybe ill some of you along the way. ill more likely catch the april or may grads starting out a little later. good luck Icarus.

I'll be headed out early March. Finishing up my last semester at FSU.

Images

This has become a very popular thing to do. I started March 1 2003 between college semesters and probably close to a dozen other folks started in the same window who were either in college, finished college, or about to start grad school. We had a nice group of people our age to bounce off of between 18-25.

I believe this to be a great way to thru-hike without major time constraints while only taking 1 semester off. You'll have a full 6 months to finish before most schools start in early september, but remember to budget in some transition/relaxing time if you can. I got so ahead of schedule I ended up finishing a month early (july31st) which was really doable at 5 months with time off/zero days.

Limit extra zero days, start with some lightweight gear and arrive at Springer in reasonably good shape and you should have NO issues finishing in around 150-160 days.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
    I'll be headed out early March. Finishing up my last semester at FSU.
    Finishing up mine at UF!

I just graduated. See you there

Images

Head over to http://iastate.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7169903178 and join up or search for "Appalachian Trail" and look for "Class of 2008" on Facebook.

Graduated 06 from U of South Carolina, headed to grad school september 08... Leaving March 1st! Its good to see there will be some peeps of the same age out there.

I have less than a month until I graduate from the Univ. of MN. I'll be on the trail in March. Hooray!

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Well, I am not quite in college, in fact, I will be a junior in high school on the trail, nice to see some other people relatively near my age.

March 1st, to Springer!
    Kirby

I graduated in May and have had to wait a this very long year for March 2008...but I am going to start late March.

It seems to be a bi-modal distribution with one group centered on the early 20s and another around say, 55.

Graduated in June and cannot wait to start hiking. I'm tired of turning around and having to get back into my car at the end of the day/ weekend! Hopefully, Tater, that means that we will all be learning a lot from eachother come '08. Can't wait to meet you all.

I'm taking a year off from school, I'm spending the first half of it working and trying to pay of debts and fund the hike.

I can't wait, I'm planning on leaving early march, and need to be finished mid august to head back to school.

Im also taking a year off from school to hike the trail. After I graduate though I need to make some money so wont be leaving till mid July, so that means Im heading southbound. Ill be seeing most of you along the way then! Cant wait!!

:banana Heck Yess!

I am done student teaching December 7th.. and BOOM I will be a college grad.. or something... hehe. See you out there March 19th! Glad to see a good bunch young'ns heading out!
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns, and cities." Nessmuk, 1963

Yea! I'm not the only one! I'll be starting my masters this August. Starting the trail March 4th, can't wait! See you all out there!

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ATbound View Post
    Yea! I'm not the only one! I'll be starting my masters this August. Starting the trail March 4th, can't wait! See you all out there!

Kirby

Nice thread idea. I'll be leaving March 4th. Not sure if I'm doing the approach trail. That depends on my friend's class schedule and what time of day he can/wants to drop me off. (He goes to Emory)

Then back to school in August to finish up that elusive engineering degree...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++