WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Trail

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Post Lone Star Trail

Has anybody here thru-hiked the LST ? Me and Honey Dew are planning a thru-hike of the LST sometime in the spring. Just curious if anybody could give us inside information... The trails website is next to terrible.
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    The trails website is next to terrible.
    Is this the website you are referencing? http://www.lshtclub.com/

I have not hiked this trail but have been checking it out. This site is about the best info I have been able to find. It includes some trail maps as well as contact info for the local trail club. Looks as though water availability might be a concern depending on the climate conditions at the time of your start. Best of luck on your planning. Keep us posted.
    halftime

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I live in Houston and I certainly haven't thru-hiked the trail but I've hiked the western end of it, as far as the point where it reaches the shore of Lake Conroe. Last time I was out there was in July... I meant to make it an overnighter, but I confess that I bailed out mid-afternoon. It was miserably hot and humid, and the trail was completely overgrown with brambles and enormous spider webs that blocked the way. There were times where I couldn't have told which way it went next if not for the aluminum "blazes" on the tree trunks. Obviously no one had been out there for a while to trample down the summer growth. My "breaking point" came when I noticed that my upper lip was swelling... I'm not really allergic to anything that I know of, but it might have been connected to the fire ant bites on my feet.

On the plus side, I did see some wildlife, including wild hogs (under some brush well off the trail), and lovely purple flowers and butterflies. And the pine woods really are very pretty.

I've hiked in there at other seasons and had a very pleasant time. March or April should be just about perfect, before it gets too overgrown and the bugs come out in earnest. One of my nicest hikes was in April right after they'd done a controlled burn, and the woods were very open and airy. I can't tell you what the water situation will be then, of course.
    Did you read the "hiker's guide" on the club's website from the guy who hiked the whole trail? That's at least as helpful as the maps. He suggests caching water at certain points on the trail where you won't come to natural water sources. Of course, it crosses lots of roads (including Interstate 45!) so you can get to resupply if you really need to.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I think there were more posts on this thread that disappeared in the Great Hacker Debacle... but I don't remember who posted what. Anyone care to carry on the discussion?

Images

Hey Mountain Dew,

We met a couple times in 03, I don't remember the discussion much either other than there were questions about water. The water situation is OK overall as long as your not too picky, there is a decent list in the trail guide on that website.

Also, I'm moving (next week) to Kingwood, which is about a dozen or so miles from the eastern trail head and if my schedule allows, will be happy to help with a shuttle or something. PM me for direct contact information if you need some help.

Nocona hiked it in 2006. She has a journal on Trailjournals.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I just checked out Nocona's journal... very nice. I signed the guest book and offered to help her with finishing up her guidebook, since she's apparently very pregnant by now and might have trouble getting out to check spots she missed! It would be nice to have a better guide book and maps for the trail. (No offense to what's on the website.)

Does anyone know if they've repaired the washed-out bridge she mentioned? It doesn't sound like a very safe or pleasant river to cross.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I've been corresponding with Nocona via email... very nice lady. She says her guide book is almost done except for the maps. She offered to send me a draft copy if I'd like to hike part of the trail and offer my thoughts.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Default Dat Dere Trail, boss ....

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post
    I just checked out Nocona's journal... very nice. I signed the guest book and offered to help her with finishing up her guidebook, since she's apparently very pregnant by now and might have trouble getting out to check spots she missed! It would be nice to have a better guide book and maps for the trail. (No offense to what's on the website.)

Does anyone know if they've repaired the washed-out bridge she mentioned? It doesn't sound like a very safe or pleasant river to cross.
    The LSHT Club has a group on Yahoo groups. They can be a wealth of info.As of last fall the bridge was still out as far as I know. I've hiked the western loops as well as the 4 Notch Loop area. There are some very pretty spots along the trail, but I would recommend March as a better time to thru-hike. April is ok, but May is way too hot most years. I've done 10 mile loops out there in May and the humidity under that tree canopy can be SWELTERING in the heat, but it can also be colder than you think when chilly, considering your probably used to the drier climate of Dallas (well, usually drier).I live just North of Houston and would also be happy to do a shuttle from one end back to your car, or you could even leave your car parked in front of the House if you'd like, I live in a pretty safe neighborhood and I know the wife wouldn't mind .... just drop me a PM.

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Default Texas boys....

Thanks to both of you Texans who are offering to help me with shuttles. Singe03...I remember you as well. Not sure where we met, but I think it was down south. I watched a movie/video of two girls who thru-hiked the LoneStarTrail. I think it was Nacona's video. I plan on making a video myself. I just need to decide if I want to get my old camera fixed or just get a new one altogether. I've been planning on emailing Nacona as well. Tonight is as good of a time as any I suppose. I'll definetely keep in touch with you guys on shuttles and hopefully a place to leave my truck. Thanks again.... and I'll post here again with more trail info and ates soon.
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Images

I'm not sure about parking the truck at my apartment complex, still don't know the rules about cars here too well, but I doubt there would be a problem, no parking stickers or anything. I'll make a call when things get closer, I know someone with a house off the beaten path in Cleveland who may be open to hosting a truck for a week, no need to worry about a break in there, no one will even see it.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I day hiked in the Stubblefield section on Saturday. It's *wet* out there!! There was a quarter-mile stretch of trail where I was hiking uphill as an inch of cold water flowed downhill over it... it was more like wading a brook than hiking a trail. My golden retriever loved it. She thinks bridges are for wusses.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Singe03 View Post
    I'm not sure about parking the truck at my apartment complex, still don't know the rules about cars here too well, but I doubt there would be a problem, no parking stickers or anything. I'll make a call when things get closer, I know someone with a house off the beaten path in Cleveland who may be open to hosting a truck for a week, no need to worry about a break in there, no one will even see it.
    I have a house in a subdivision in Spring, up by the woodlands ... so you're welcome to park your truck out in front of the house for the week .... no problem. Just let me know your plans.

Images

Starting to sound like we need a Houston area get together sometime.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

For folks who like this trail... now's a nice time to be out there. On impulse, I went out Friday night and slept by Lake Conroe (just off the 1375 trailhead). Perfect weather, a gorgeous night sky full of stars, and a lovely sunrise over the lake... and I had a close encounter with a very large raccoon. Everything's just starting to bud and bloom. I saw some of the earliest patches of bluebonnets along the roadsides just north of Conroe, and there were a lot of flowers in the woods themselves too. Of course, I came back and found my car covered in pine pollen...

This is a pretty old thread by now, but I wanted to give a status on the downed bridge on the East Fork of the San Jacinto River in the Magnolia Section -- it is still out. The LSHT Club is trying to find a way to raise donations to rebuild it.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Hey Nocona, thanks for reviving this thread and for the help you've given me in the past over email.

I hope the bridge can be replaced. I want to hike the whole trail eventually, but your river crossing sounded rather daunting. Do you know how much they estimate it will cost?

Images

Texans need to stick together!

Default Down East San Jac Bridge

I don't know what it would cost to build that bridge, but at the very least several thousands in materials alone. The old bridge is still there, but pretty wrecked. Obviously, it needs to be anchored better for those once-a-decade torrential floods. The Lone Star Hiking Trail Club (http://www.lshtclub.com/) is trying to come up with some ideas on fund-raising for it. I also intend to donate proceeds from the sale of my guidebook, when it is complete.

The river, in normal conditions, can be easily forded where the trail crosses it. You may feel like a real explorer. The water is so muddy you can't see more than an inch under the surface. It's knee- to waist-deep and very muddy, but only a dozen steps across at most. Climbing up the opposite bank is the hardest part of a ford. And you come out looking pretty cool, covered in mud. I did it with my big pack on and had no problems. Bring some good sandals or ford in tennis shoes; I went across bare-footed, but would bring shoes next time.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Good tips. Thanks. My biggest worry in fording opaque water is a possible encounter with a water moccasin... or stepping in an unseen hole and going under! ha. Sounds like quite the adventure, though.

I know elsewhere on the LST I crossed a small single-rail footbridge over a creek/ gully where the deck was tilted at a 45 degree angle. That was kinda crazy. Almost easier just to ford the creek. I did use the bridge but I was clinging very hard to the rail to keep myself on it.

The hiking bug is nibbling at me but I'm still waiting for cooler weather.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++