WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Trail

MkBibble

You don't want to camp in the woods until after Feb 1...the FS has a rule about where you can camp between Sept 15 and Feb 1...designated campsites only. Its partly for safety and partly for the benefit of the wildlife. It's never been explained to me the penalty for "violating" this rule or how they would enforce it but getting a random bullet in my tent because nobody knew I was there is not my cup of tea.

Bewteen these two dates all the major hunting seasons occur and nothing spells accident like having people randomly camped in the woods. Also the presence of all the hunters puts stress on our furry friends so for about a month after deer season ends they give the critters a vacation by not letting us hikers camp where ever we want.

As for camping on th west side Kelly Pond is nice and you can hike in from either direction (in and out) doing a loop that includes it is not feasible. This is a designated campground so you can be there year round

Along sandy creek loop (i think that was it...its the north west "end" of the little lake wilderness loop) there is a very pretty little pond where I like to camp. IT's kind of ath juncton of a few trails...look at those section maps on the yahoo group and you will see it. this is just a wild camp...its used quite a bit but still nice. its not adesignated camp though and you will have to wait until after Feb 1 to be legal.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

Great information Beakerman. I was aware of the camping rules, but thanks for mentioning it. I was thinking about heading out from Richards following the main LSHT route, them winding back along the Caney Creek and Richard's loops. Since she's never done a multi-day hike, I'm not sure how my wife will hold up; I might have to modify these plans somewhat as we go...

Quote Originally Posted by MkBibble View Post
    Great information Beakerman. I was aware of the camping rules, but thanks for mentioning it. I was thinking about heading out from Richards following the main LSHT route, them winding back along the Caney Creek and Richard's loops. Since she's never done a multi-day hike, I'm not sure how my wife will hold up; I might have to modify these plans somewhat as we go...
    Well lots of luck and have fun. I will advise you however to make sure your bring a map and compass or have the gps tracks stored in your GPSR because this section of loops within loops can be mildly confusing if you are not familiar with them.

I went on a 10-12 mile detour once because I was not where I thought I was. I wasn't lost in the sense that I had anything to worry about it was just a longer walk than I anticipated. i missed an intersection and didn't realize it until I was pretty much beyond wanting to turn around and go back the way I came.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

well, at least she won't be able to make me stop and ask for directions... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nocona View Post
    My first two book signing events and LSHT Hiking clinics are coming up! (Yep, I wrote a book! It's the first ever guidebook to the LSHT, came out last November and is entitled The Lone Star Hiking Trail: The Official Guide to the Longest Wilderness Footpath in Texas.)
    The first is at the Downtown REI store in Houston on July 6 at 7pm and the second at the REI at Willowbrook on July 8 at 7pm. You can register for the event online to secure a seat. And yes, it's free! I plan to give a slide show with photos and information about the Lone Star Hiking Trail geared towards hiking and backpacking. I'm sure there will be time for discussions, as well.

Hope to see some of you there.

Houston REI - Downtown location
    7538 Westheimer Rd
    Houston, TX 77063
    (713) 353-2582
    July 6th at 7 p.m.
    Register at: http://www.rei.com/event/6475/session/7850

Willowbrook REI - North Houston
    17717 Tomball Parkway
    Houston, TX 77064
    (832) 237-8833
    Register at: http://www.rei.com/event/7756/session/9746

And a link to the book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Star-Hiking-Trail-Official/dp/0899975046/ref=cm_rna_own_wish_img

Karen
    I received your book as a Christmas gift. I live in Huntsville so the LSHT is right in my backyard (so to speak). Thanks for taking the time to put together such a helpful, well thought out book. I highly recommend it to anyone spending any time on the trail.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Anyone planning a snow hike tomorrow? Quite the rare opportunity in Texas!
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post
    Only if I don't have to go to work

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I didn't work on Friday, but I ended up hibernating all day in my cozy bed. I-45 was closed and it was pretty bitter out there. I'm about ready for some genuine Texas Spring WeatherTM.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

I didn't work on Friday, but I ended up hibernating all day in my cozy bed. I-45 was closed and it was pretty bitter out there. I'm about ready for some genuine Texas Spring WeatherTM.
    yeah I hear ya...I'm ready for winter to be over.

Yeah, I planned one. Like you said, a rare opportunity and I couldn't pass it up. I headed out to the Four Notch area and set up camp near Hidden Lake. Unfortunately there was no snow to speak of but did have some sleet and freezing rain. This was also a trial run of my new TT Contrail. Here it is Friday morning:

It's hard to tell but there's about an 1/8" sheet of ice covering the whole tent. The texture you see is from me knocking off ice during the night and then the sleet and freezing rain building back up on top of that.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Brrr, you're brave! I am not equipped to stay out in freezing weather. I'm a fair weather camper!

By the way, I posted over on the LSHT Yahoo Group that I was out hiking on Cotton Creek Cemetery Road the other day and discovered that the southern trailhead to the Huntsville section got obliterated by a logging road. The LSHT Club has apparently already been out there to re-mark the trail... blazes are in place and it's not hard to follow... but it's messy looking and a bummer for those who enjoy real trails as opposed to road walks.

Brrr, you're brave! I am not equipped to stay out in freezing weather. I'm a fair weather camper!

By the way, I posted over on the LSHT Yahoo Group that I was out hiking on Cotton Creek Cemetery Road the other day and discovered that the southern trailhead to the Huntsville section got obliterated by a logging road. The LSHT Club has apparently already been out there to re-mark the trail... blazes are in place and it's not hard to follow... but it's messy looking and a bummer for those who enjoy real trails as opposed to road walks.
    as tax dollars drop off expect to see more logging road cut into the forest. i would imagine that the USFS has to keep their heads above water just like teh rest of us and since their directive seems to be to manage rather than protect they will use the rescources availible to them.

Same is true for private land holders along and inteh area around the trail...money gets tight and clear cutting that 40 acres of woods doesn't sound like a bad idea anymore...sad commentary but true.

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    as tax dollars drop off expect to see more logging road cut into the forest. i would imagine that the USFS has to keep their heads above water just like teh rest of us and since their directive seems to be to manage rather than protect they will use the rescources availible to them.

Same is true for private land holders along and inteh area around the trail...money gets tight and clear cutting that 40 acres of woods doesn't sound like a bad idea anymore...sad commentary but true.
    Yep, We have an Orienteering event at Camp Clements in Athens this comming weekend. Some of the event notes have mentioned that there is pine logging and the road repair (YEAH!) at the Mosenbacher side (which has had only primative camping and one oil well serviced in like 40 years). So we are excited about the road repair, but I'm really wondering about the logging. There was a HUGE stand of pines, including several ruined cabins. The pine needles were like walking on a mattress it was so thick. I hope it isn't all cut!
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I don't resent that logging happens in the National Forest. Human beings have been using wood products for thousands of years, and the revenue from logging helps support keeping the rest of the woods wild. It's just the price to be paid, and it's sustainable if it's managed right.

I just think a little foresight and care can reduce the impact of logging operations on the environment and on others who want to enjoy the woods in their natural state.

I hiked 8 miles with a buddy last Sunday. We parked at trailhead #6 right off FM1375. There were already 4 or 5 cars there, 4 or 5 more than I'm used to seeing. We hiked north to Stubblefield Campground and turned around and came back. Trail is in great shape. No mud or other negatives to talk about.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Railroad King, thanks for the report. I'm curious, is that sections still "high and dry"? I hiked it late last October and was shocked at how dry it was. For instance, after you pass the big open camping spot at Lake Conroe (northbound), you turn up a little creek that flows into the lake and walk beside it a while, then cross over it. This usually involves some shin-deep wading at least, but when I did it in October, it was a bone-dry gully... I was headed southbound and didn't even realize that was "the creek" I remembered until I came on the next mile marker!

Has the rain made any impression on the drought? And what did the forest ranger station say about fire danger that day?

I've never seen water there and I've hiked that area three times. Of course the other times were in August. Definitely still high and dry. As far as I can remember there was only one place directly on the trail that had water and it was a very shallow stagnant pool that my dog stepped in. No clue what the current fire danger is and I don't remember what it said when I drove by. I remember seeing some controlled burns along 1375.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Yeah, I'm rarely out there in August... I'm most likely to be in that section February-April, and it's usually wet at that time of year. The first time I hiked it, almost all of mile 17 was an ankle-deep swamp. I was wading more than hiking. It's not usually THAT wet, but I've never seen it as dry as it was in October.

Of course the rain we got yesterday may have changed things a little, but it would take a lot more than that to get us to "normal" levels for this year I think. Overall, it's been a very dry winter and early spring.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I camped out by Lake Conroe over Easter weekend (just north of the "primitive site" near mile 16.5). Man, it is DRY out there. That section did have a controlled burn, which of course you can still see signs of, but it's in decent shape for hiking now.

I almost got myself in trouble trying to cross the bed of the "swamp" that empties into the lake north of the primitive campsite. There was no water in it, and the ground looked slightly muddy at the edges and completely dry in the middle, so I set out to walk across it. I found myself sinking in the mud, and the more I went forward the more I sunk! The "dry" part in the middle was actually a crust over liquid wet-cement-like clay. By the time I realized how bad it was, it was too late to turn around, but I was going knee deep with every step and quite worried I was going to be stuck. Then I discovered that if I crawled on my hands and knees, I could crawl across the crust without sinking in. I was quite thankful to get back to solid ground, and I made sure to go back a different way!

Otherwise I had very nice camping. :-) I just hope we get some rain this weekend.

Ramblin around your city, rambling around your town...

bump

bridge over SJ River is still out....nowhere to be seen. And the log that was 10ft over the river, I think it is now in the river.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++