WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

Well, there's this guy who lives in San Francisco who has a good rep on the environment as well as being pretty well known in TN. After he picks up his Nobel maybe he'd say something about the license plate...

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Folks,

The plate has one more vote to go through. I plan to be at Trail Days promoting the new plate and showing off the design (still in development). We will be there collecting names of people that are interested.

Once the plate passes legislation, we will start collecting money. Once 1000 names and the money for it is collected, the state will run and send them. We have to keep the number of plates above 500.

We already have about 50 names. If you are interested, send the following information to [email protected]. We will eventually send out updates and the forms required to reserve your plate.

Name
    Trail Name
    Address
    Phone Number
    Email
    Personalized plate?

Come on people! North Carolina has raised over $100,000!
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Post a draft of the legislation so we can have a model for something to submit to our states. Please?

Images

Talking

Almost, but not quite, makes me feel bad I already have a Clemson University plate!

Maybe I'll suggest it to my wife, Stitch, for her car.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I have a Friends of the Great Smoky Mountain NP tag on my Jeep, but I would buy an AT plate for my wife's car. Look foward to seeing it.
    The most beautiful of vistas are only seen after a long uphill climb.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

TwoBy

What is the plate cost? Will the club see any of that? And will club members get a discount upon our next registration, like everything else...lol

Next all we need is a Bob Peoples for President bumper sticker.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

In Maryland, non-profit organizations with as few as 25 members can apply for specialty plates.
    http://www.marylandmva.com/VehicleSe...Inform_org.asp

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    TwoBy

What is the plate cost? Will the club see any of that? And will club members get a discount upon our next registration, like everything else...lol

Next all we need is a Bob Peoples for President bumper sticker.
    If you are coming to the Spring Dinner Meeting, you will hear all of the juicy details.

Plate profit (15$ or 35$ per, cannot remember which number) goes to ATC which sticks it in a fund for use on the AT anywhere from Fontana Dam to Damascus - "on or near the Tennessee border." That's the way the legislation was structured. It is set up just like North Carolina's AT plate. People who purchase the plate will receive one year of free membership to the ATC.

We are featuring Bob Peoples' face on the plate....(KIDDING).
    Cabin Fever

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    Post a draft of the legislation so we can have a model for something to submit to our states. Please?
    http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/b...ILL/SB2622.pdf

That is the bill legislation. There is one place where we are changing the wording from "280 miles in its borders" to "280 miles along its borders."
    Cabin Fever

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBy View Post
    If you are coming to the Spring Dinner Meeting, you will hear all of the juicy details.

Plate profit (15$ or 35$ per, cannot remember which number) goes to ATC which sticks it in a fund for use on the AT anywhere from Fontana Dam to Damascus - "on or near the Tennessee border." That's the way the legislation was structured. It is set up just like North Carolina's AT plate. People who purchase the plate will receive one year of free membership to the ATC.

We are featuring Bob Peoples' face on the plate....(KIDDING).
    I will be out at the maintenance outing that day, but I will probably miss the dinner due to another function that night.

I believe your right about the funds. They will go to us, Carolina, and Smoky clubs, but the money will have be to for strickly Tennessee side projects. But would like to see go to the Rocky Fork Tract Preservation if possible. Or may be Finish Unaka or Bust fund.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Neither do I for Maine..

Kirby
    I don't know the procedure is in other states but maybe because Maine requires 2000 signatures on a petition and $40,000 up front to "show interest" We just got a plate for Breast Cancer Awareness recently. That was the procedure in a article in todays newspaper

I'll guess that a Maine AT plate isn't going to happen any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    I will be out at the maintenance outing that day, but I will probably miss the dinner due to another function that night.

I believe your right about the funds. They will go to us, Carolina, and Smoky clubs, but the money will have be to for strickly Tennessee side projects. But would like to see go to the Rocky Fork Tract Preservation if possible. Or may be Finish Unaka or Bust fund.

I am working on the project. I helped draft the legislation. The money can be used pretty much anywhere from Fontana to Damascus. Just like TEHCC has used North Carolina plate money to buy tools that we have used on the Tennessee side. It's a wash. The amendment is going into the legislation to say "along the borders." Just got confirmation.

We have to get 1000 paid commitments to get the plate run and then keep the number above 500.
    Cabin Fever

Images

Maybe with the extra money from the plates they can build some privies in TN???
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Just out of curiosity, I went to the TN State Government web site to check on the progress, and it appears to be stalled in the House.... According to the web site, it said the following:

Action def. in Transportation Committee to Omnibus Bill.

That was on February 12th, 2008.

The URL I retrieved this from was

http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/b...lnumber=SB2622

It's suppose to go up for final vote in the next couple of weeks. From there, the race is on to get 1000 commitments!
    Cabin Fever

Images

How many do you have now?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

I'll commit to buying one.
    The most beautiful of vistas are only seen after a long uphill climb.

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

I sent my information earlier to TwoBy and I'll commit to purchasing again....

Default AT license plates

It is a great program. Income from license plate sales is paying for the bear cables at shelters in the Carolina Mountain Club section of the AT (the labor is donated by CMC volunteers).

Right now, we have about 100 commitments. We are going to start our first serious marketing at Trail Days. I will be working in the ATC tent on Friday and Saturday (Hard Core Sunday and Monday).

Like Brushy said, it is a great program. The TEHCC gets to partake in NC's plate some since the our section of the trail is mostly on the TN-NC state line. The only catch is that we have to purchase the materials in North Carolina.

Maybe the Tennessee plate will help us build more shelters like Mountaineer Falls (one my all time faves).

FYI - The lack of privies in Tennessee is because lazy hikers were putting trash in them and not using them properly. How would you like to clean trash out of poop?
    Cabin Fever

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++