WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What are the best found items you got form the trail

I was once on the NCT in the Upper Michigan area by the Porcupine Mountains and had found a perfectly good coffee pot. Stainless steel, backpacker sized almost brand new looking. A little later on the NCT trail I was craving fresh fruit and found a perfectly good orange on the trail like it was dropped just a few minutes later!!!!

Leki pole tips; there's no point in buying them, you can always find them on the trail.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I found a cool looking rock this summer on Whitecap, not sure if that counts.

Kirby

Best thing I have found on the AT: I found $10 in the Shenandoahs, just sitting in the middle of the AT.

One of the best thing I have ever found in the woods: In Washington state I found a trekking pole while bushwhacking, unfortunately it got bent about a week later when somebody totaled my car with it inside.

One of the best thing found on a trip I was on: A couple days before I found the trekking pole my friend found a handheld GPS on Mt Adams.

By far the best thing I have found: In the wilderness outside Silverton, CO I found a pair of Nikon binoculars. Apparently this model is selling online for about $300. I am sure someone is sore about losing them.

Images

Red man, gloves, a spork, and an orange
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Peace & solitude.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Not on the AT, but on my recent hike on the Fundy shore my daughter and I came across what appears to be some sort of pouch made by a fisherman. It was made of green plastic netting, say 8"x8" folded in half and stitched, with a nylon draw cord and a piece of rubber tire as the stopper for the draw cord. It was handy to put all the stuff I had loose in my pocket, like cell phone, lighter, compass. I'm guessing it was lost over the side of a fishing boat, and was originally used for holding a lunch or other items for some deckhand, or perhaps it was some sort of bait pouch for lobster or crab traps.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    Peace & solitude.
    That's awesome. Lately, I have found large groups of teenagers and people with ill-mannered dogs (or is that ill-mannered people with dogs?). Of course, my section hiking has me in the Whites right now, so that's to be expected.

Images

Great friends of that moment and a handful of lifelong friends. They really are the best part of my thru-hike.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

I found a real Civil War bayonet..It was rusted up but you could still tell what it was
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

an incredible hiking stick and lifelong friends!

geek

It is always about what lies beyond the end... Javasanctum's Avatar

Lot's of ball caps hanging on trees... left them there

Images

Best thing I found, or got for free while hiking was a pair of running shoes in LaJunta, CO. They were found in a lost and found box in the Koshare Indian Kiva, a Scout facility. This was the first time I used running shoes in place of boots. Hiked many miles in those, didn't replace them until Damascus where I bought a new pair of cheap runners. This was back in 1980, ahead of there time for backpacking. They replaced a pair of Vasque Hiker II's - HEAVY, STIFF hiking boots.

Did anybody find any marshmellows last year on the end of sticks along the trail?

Best thing I found was a cold cooler of bottled water by a road in PA on a section in July, sweet!
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    Peace & solitude.
    Yes, the best things I find on my trails are peace, solitude, a certain excited giddiness, especially when it snows, and the neverending desire to keep camping.

In the Conehead area I found a pair of new binoculars sitting on the trail.
    Up at the Harvard Camps where the trail crossed the road there was a dumpster so I looked inside and grabbed a new wooden recorder(flute)in a carrying case with a fingering chart. Mother lode paydirt! I learned over time to play the thing and ended up playing Bach on it professionally with a church organist on several occasions.

Found a full tent in a stuff sack in Slickrock wilderness(left it - Ozark Trail - dead weight to me).
    Found an alpaca wool hat on the Fodderstack trail.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

The old cabin atop Camel's Hump on the Long Trail in early August 1979: The temperature plummeted into the mid-30's (after setting a record of 100F the day we started at the Canadian border), and I was in danger of freezing, or at least a very uncomfortable night. I found a grey cotton sweatshirt that someone had left in the cabin that kept me just warm enough to get through the rest of the month.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Remedy

NN

Nothing, materially. Basically, every piece of equipment I've ever found on the trail was discarded by someone else or dropped accidentally. None of it was of any value. I pack out what is useless. If I find a trail book or something similar, I leave it at the next shelter or the trailhead on the way out if it doesn't have a name on it. Hats, single gloves, cigarette butts, a broken pedometer and a blue foam pad as well as shredded poly tarps are what I have picked up along the trail.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

On a warm, long hiking day, on one of my first long distance hikes on the AT, when I hadn't learned yet what types of food to pack to keep me happy: a peach tree with some peaches on it. Mmmm.

Images

Things I picked up: A $10 bill on Mt. Rogers; many dollars worth of coins; a pair of Oakley sunglasses in GA; an Evernew titanium pot lid; candy, still wrapped (several times); baskets for Leki poles; partially-full MSR canisters; a few books...

Things I left behind: A pair of Crocs (too large); lots of raggedy clothes; rain-soaked sleeping bags; an abandoned tent; an abandoned food bag hanging in a tree; two completely full gallon bags of peanuts and raisins, along with super-sized jars of Bama peanut butter and grape jelly; a few books...
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++