WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Real companies for clothes?

I've been looking around at synthetic insulated jackets lately. Is it just me or is it tough to find clothing from small, cool US companies? I'm looking for the ULA of clothes. Am I just missing them or am I stuck with "Made in China" if I don't make my own?

Integral Designs products are made in the 51st state.

Feathered Friends jackets are down, but made in America

China sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I've been looking around at synthetic insulated jackets lately. Is it just me or is it tough to find clothing from small, cool US companies? I'm looking for the ULA of clothes. Am I just missing them or am I stuck with "Made in China" if I don't make my own?
    http://beyondclothing.com/
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I buy my clothes at Salvation Army or Goodwill. i've got good deals on pants, shirts and weather gear. go to one in a big city where the yuppies live . i go to wilmington, del or cherrry hill, nj.

Pricy, but certainly cutting edge and American Made. Be very careful what you ask for, because with these folks it what you get
    http://beyondclothing.com/

Patrick, both REI and OR sell a light (about a pound) hooded primaloft jacket. I have the REI jacket. I wore it the other morning around freezing while packing up the tarptent (no hammock, we took the dog). I had an underarmor tee shirt, a long sleeve tee shirt, a patagonia fleece hoody (it weighs 9oz) and the jacket and I was toasty. It has about a half inch of loft and is warmer than it looks. For colder weather I plan to carry an army field jacket liner to wear under it.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I hava Patagucci fleece I bought at the thrifter a few years back. Has a MADE IN USA label. I was surprised.

I'm not sure if Patagonia make their gear in the USA or not currently.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I saw an REI PL jacket without hood that was nice, but haven't seen the one with the hood.

I'm not having trouble finding clothes, just ones by cottage makers. Seems like there's more equipment than clothes by those guys.

I don't mean to single out China specifically. Just saying I'd happily pay more to support a cottage shop.

For the jacket/vest, I think I'm going to order one of AYCE's kits from thru-hiker. It's probably time to start down the path of making my own clothes.

Chuck Roast (www.chuckroast.com, North Conway, NH) still manufactures their clothing -- primarily fleece -- in the Live Free or Die state
    Bob & Brad
    (On the Internet, no one knows if you're a dog)
    Psalm 121 - the hiker's psalm

Images

For the jacket/vest, I think I'm going to order one of AYCE's kits from thru-hiker. It's probably time to start down the path of making my own clothes.
    There you go. Over the past 2 years, I made, tents, backpacks, quilts, and ponchos for my son and myself. Now I am working on clothes. I just made a jogging suit (I call it a hiking suit), from a patterrn I bought at Quest outfitters, and found some nylon at $1 bin at wal-mart. DIY was the only way I could justify getting outdoor clothing.

You might try Wild Things (www.wildthingsgear.com) They have primaloft jackets for reasonable prices and make all of thier gear in the US.

I have a Mont-Bell Thermawrap and a Patagonia Micro-Puff Pullover. I have been happy with both, but they were made in China. Patagonia does still make a few things in the USA though.

Images

Thanks, Mocs123, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I hava Patagucci fleece
    Well then you must fit right in, in Boulder! Granola, anyone?

Images

He told me he likes frilly coffee. $5+

Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Patrick, both REI and OR sell a light (about a pound) hooded primaloft jacket. I have the REI jacket. I wore it the other morning around freezing while packing up the tarptent (no hammock, we took the dog). I had an underarmor tee shirt, a long sleeve tee shirt, a patagonia fleece hoody (it weighs 9oz) and the jacket and I was toasty. It has about a half inch of loft and is warmer than it looks. For colder weather I plan to carry an army field jacket liner to wear under it.
    I'm not so sure REI makes their's any more. I tried to find it on their website so I could give someone in another thread the link to it the other day, and couldn't find it. Too bad. I have this jacket too and it is GREAT. Light, compressable, warm and the hood fits great. I do like everything I have that is primaloft, closest to down that I've ever used, but much cheaper. That said, if your wallet can stand it, down is still better overall.
    Last edited by Lyle; 11-26-2007 at 14:38.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Well then you must fit right in, in Boulder! Granola, anyone?
    Yep...a blue collar hippie boy...that's what I am. (Hey..I paid $4 for the jacket!)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

++ New Posts ++