WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Planning the hike at SNP

We are going to hike the AT at SNP beginning June 23, 2008.
    We don't want to run but rather take some side trails to cool places.
    Starting at Front Royal, how would you plan the hike?

Images

Check with the ATC, There was an article in the last magazine about the park.

Where can I find it?

Russ Mannings book - 75 Hikes in Virginia's Shenandoah National Park is pretty detailed. It describes lots of side trails and hikes off the AT.

x

If you haven't backpacked before, I would first determine how many miles per day you can and want to backpack. While SNP isn't full of steep elevation changes, if you're not used to carrying a pack and not in real good backpacking condition, you will find this challenging!

So that's the first place I would start - how much can you hike and do you want to backpack in a day. From there, the rest becomes much easier because it's filling in your itinerary. There are several good books on side trails of SNP at their web site. These will give you a good indication of some of the neat historicaly and geoligical features within the park and should help to formulate a plan for what you want to see

Probably the best way to figure out distance is to just get out and backpack.
    Peace Be With You

Images

Lightbulb

Can't tell you which side trails to take, but will hazard a guess that you should plan at least two weeks for such a side-trailing stroll through the SNP. Last summer my daughter and I hiked straight through the SNP, staying strictly on the AT, and it took us a week.

I did hear and read that many of the best sights and trails in the SNP are away from the AT (and Skyline Drive).

I would encourage you to also contact the park folks directly. I found them friendly and helpful, once I got to the right folks. Nothing like going to the horse's mouth.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I think there is, (or was) a book published with loop hikes in SNP. But, in any event, we did several loop hikes in the SNP, using the AT for the return leg. We found that some of the best hiking in SNP is off the AT and off the ridge.

Places I recall include White Oak Canyon and Old Rag,

Images

i have a book by David Lillard and Gwyn Hicks titled "Exploring the Appalachian Trail, HIKES in the VIRGINIAS." it details SNP pretty well! it's served me well! you might wanna' check it out?!

Default Patc

Contact the PATC

http://potomacappalachian.org/

They have some great books on loop hikes and stuff - some of my favs:

Jeremey's Run
    Ceadar Run/Whiteoak Canyon

I haven't explored the South District much but it looks very promising.
    Let us know what you decide!

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

I have Circuit Hikes in Shenandoah National Park, published by the ATC in 1996. It's a great guide to the park.
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

Jeremy's Run is a wonderful hike along an little creek/river. You wind up crossing it countless times.

Real pretty and peaceful
    Peace Be With You

Thank you friends for all the useful information.

Is Jeremy's run a "one way" trail? It is hard to figure it out from the park maps.

Is seems that the south district is very limited in camping and sleeping options. IS this correct?

Good suggestions all around. Get some good maps, too. Don't rely on park maps. You can find lots of good resources at the PATC linked in a post above. While the winter winds blow and the snow flies, take out the maps, spread them out on a table, study them and dream! By looking at the maps, you'll find more places you might like to investigate, and you can google to your heart's delight for more info.

If you can take the time work your way over to Old Rag mountain. It gets crowded on weekends so a midweek hike would be best. Also check out this website. It has a lot of great hikes right off the AT. http://www.hikingupward.com/maps/nova_map.shtml

Thank you. This site looks like a source of valuable information.

Since camping and lodging options south of Lewis Mountain are very limited, do you think it is a good idea to hike some side trails and finish the AT hike at Swift Run Gap.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Route Step View Post
    Russ Mannings book - 75 Hikes in Virginia's Shenandoah National Park is pretty detailed. It describes lots of side trails and hikes off the AT.

x
    Quote Originally Posted by DAKS View Post
    i have a book by David Lillard and Gwyn Hicks titled "Exploring the Appalachian Trail, HIKES in the VIRGINIAS." it details SNP pretty well! it's served me well! you might wanna' check it out?!
    Do either of these books address day hikes?

10 miles or less, coming from Culpepper, VA.

Under 5 might be better. Santa needs help!

For Mudhead
    Manning's book gives the distance, if the hike is a loop or oneway, difficulty level and description. Other info too.
    Ex: Jeremy's Run is a 5.2 mile loop, moderate difficulty (whatever that means), 700 ft elevation change and connects with the AT. I would say it's a day hike based on the short distance.

I think most books have about the same info. His book just happens to covers the SNP.

Now from Culpepper (nice place) I guess you take 211 to Thornton Gap and park in the Paorama's lot to get on the AT. Manning lists ten hikes going north from there and six going south, but not all are looped. To tell the truth, I always see something different going in and out on the same trail so I don't have to walk a loop.

Images

the book i mentioned does have a section regarding day hikes! i believe there are at least a dozen or so day hikes listed for SNP!

Please advise:

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnen View Post
    Since camping and lodging options south of Lewis Mountain are very limited, do you think it is a good idea to hike some side trails and finish the AT hike at Swift Run Gap.
    What are the chances for finding a free place in an AT hut in the north and central districts during the hot season?

++ New Posts ++