WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Default 2008 Billville Winter Warmer - Duncannon, PA - February 29th - March 2nd

Greetings one again!

I would like to announce the Fifth Annual Billville Winter Warmer! This year, the Winter Warmer will be held on February 29th, March 1st and March 2nd at the historic Doyle Hotel! (http://doylehotel.com)

Q: What is a 'Winter Warmer"?

A: The Billville Winter Warmer is just an excuse to get together and hang out with friends who love the AT and hiking. It is rather loosely sponsored by Billville (a sub-group of AT hikers and trail angels) but all are welcome. There may be a planned work trip to the Ironmasters Hostel, or some other trail-related work to be done, but that has yet to be determined.

Other than that, there are no planned events other than socializing in the bar on Friday and Saturday night. Options for the weekend are numerous, however, with many hiking options in the area. Also, if you missed the Gathering this year, its a short drive to take a tour of Gettysburg. And in the winter, you have the place to yourself! If you have never been there, I highly suggest making the trip.

In the past, if the conditions are not too bad, we have organized shelter-cleaning hikes. This is nothing major, just a short hike into a shelter to look around and clean up whatever might need cleaning and hiking out any trash if there is any. Last year, hiking was very difficult due to the icy conditions, but in previous years there has been little to no snow on the ground.

Q: Where is the Winter Warmer?

A: The Warmer will once again be held at the Doyle Hotel and Bar in downtown Duncannon, PA. There are several rooms available, and the quiet hours start at 2 am. If this is too much, there is a campground just down the street, or the truck stop just outside of town. Last year, we had most people stay in the Doyle, and it should be that way this year as well, especially if you dont mind curling up on a piece of floor. (Please remember to pay your share to the Doyle even if you are sleeping on the floor! Not sure about the current rates, but last year it was $5.)

The Doyle is kind enough to host this event and they have treated us very well in the past. Pat and Vickey are excellent hosts - and we are lucky to have a great, friendly place like the Doyle to gather. We are welcome to socialize in the main bar, which usually has live entertainment, but we also have access to the upstairs bar if anyone wants to organize some sort of event. Please send me a message if there is something that you would like to plan, as this would have to be organized and approved by Pat and Vickey.

Q: What do I bring to the Warmer?

A: First, bring yourself! Bring your hiking gear and be prepared for snowy and icy conditions. Bring any photo albums that you would like to share. Got some hiking videos? Bring your DVD's. I have a portable DVD player and the Doyle has a very large TV in the upstairs bar. If you are a future AT hiker, bring your questions. If you are a past AT hiker, bring your answers.

We would like to invite any hikers that are heading down to Springer to stop in at the Doyle on your way south. What a better way to start your AT hike than to hit one of the famous places on the trail and chew the fat with some like-minded people?

Q: Anything else I should know about the Warmer?

A: Well, as always, Contra Dancing is strictly prohibited. Also, if you are planning to attend, please let me know so we can get a accurate head count. Sometime after the new year, I'll talk with Pat about available rooms, beds, etc... We like to have an idea of how many people "for sure" are going to be there, so I can tell others if they need to plan for staying somewhere else. If you don't want to plan ahead, and if you don't mind floor space, you can always crash in somone's room for $5/night.

If you would like more information, or you would like to confirm your attendance, you can post a reply here or send me a Private Message. I hope to see many of you at the Fifth Annual Billville Winter Warmer!

chomp

Oh yea - this will also be the East Coast Kickoff Party for Jester's PCT Hike!!

From PA moved to Marquette MI, ontop of the Northern Country Trail

Should be there
    There’s no point in the destination if you can't enjoy the journey.

Be there.

won't be there

For sure!

geek

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

I'll give it my best shot!

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I'm in.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I'll call yall from the summit of Springer mountain on the 1st of March.

Kirby

I will be there.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up

I'm planning on it...

What's Contra Dancing?

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    What's Contra Dancing?
    dancing with guerillas in nicaragua

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    dancing with guerillas in nicaragua
    . . . . .

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

What's Contra Dancing?
    Square Dancing, New England style.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Silly View Post
    Square Dancing, New England style.
    I didn't know we had our own style. Of course I haven't square danced since 3rd grade gym class.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

I didn't know we had our own style. Of course I haven't square danced since 3rd grade gym class.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra_dance

It's a type of folk dancing, evolved from English Country dances, and got its name from the French. Check the article for more; if I say any more I'm gonna get lynched by the Billvillians. (Billvillains?)
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

"It's nice to be working with proper (Bill)villains again."

Images

wouldn't miss it.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

mattville ........in and in. done and doner...bob and boobby. snoit and snerr. heem weem and wamm bombs. pa warmitis doyalosis fibroses. room 23 with a veiw to a bob...e. doyalfolk. billfolk and food folk. mary mary quite rum and coke and contrary. pat and vicky and everything sticky. mayor jester , tarlin to pester. bobcats and whitecrows and offseason toes with no blisters. freash sox and the doyals food rocks. pat cooks and vicky looks...out for us all. till we hit the wall,...from lonewolfs jokes and cammos jokes comes the equation,,,lonewolf over cammo squared equals the hypotinuse of love.
    matthewski

Images

thinking of it....will know as it gets a little closer...

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++