WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Exclamation long time = BAD?

I have been section hiking the trail since 1984, is that bad for my brain IQ too?
    I am glad to just follow the white blazes, and .................................................. .........................................
    I forget what I was going to say next................

formerly amazonwoman

Hiking might not make you more or less intelligent but I am sure that the physical benefits are worth the risk. I can feel the stress melt away, I'm sure my blood pressure goes down and my cardiovascular health goes up. I feel happy and content. To me that is more important than my IQ. Who really keeps up with their IQ anyway? Sounds pretentious to me.

Three weeks in the woods or more has to be healthier than three weeks in my cubicle, behind my desk, clicking away at this keyboard. UUUUGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    Dancer (Julie)
    "What saves a man (woman) is to take a step. Then another step." ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by EWS View Post
    Backpacking, as most non-critical thinking hobbies, doesn't require much brain power once you have some experience.
    Neither do most jobs....

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You don't need a 3 week vacation, one hour in Gatlinburg will do it.
    ::: Dino gives Tipi a high-five :::

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Neither do most jobs....
    Unions and the government disagree.

There has been a few interesting articles in the New York Times recently that relate, indirectly, to this issue.

The articles have asked the question: what's better for your intelligence when you are aging: mental excercise (puzzles, computer programs, etc.) or physical excercise?

The answer is physical excercise, by a mile (although, of course, staying mentally active with engaging hobbies and social activities is beneficial).

It's all about blood flow my friend. The better your circulatory system, the younger you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    I read an item today that stated a person suffers a temporary 20 point drop in their IQ rating after a three week vacation. The apparent result of not having to think too deeply for 21 days. This doesn't bode well for long distance hikers especially if repeated exposure causes a permanent condition. I'm pretty sure I have seen evidence of this happening.
    Ha-ha, you sure that's not because of all the glasses with the little umbrellas?
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Images

I drink beer so I'm immune.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    I read an item today that stated a person suffers a temporary 20 point drop in their IQ rating after a three week vacation. The apparent result of not having to think too deeply for 21 days. This doesn't bode well for long distance hikers especially if repeated exposure causes a permanent condition. I'm pretty sure I have seen evidence of this happening.
    For hiking, I think you would increase IQ. Always thinking logistics, budgeting your money between towns, plan out your next day....

But in personal experience after a good 10 mile hike in blazing humidity and sun, I think one would start to go loopy from exhaustion and dehydration.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Default IQ loss and hiking

I have observed that the children born of thru hiker parents seem to be healthy, happy and well above average. I'm not to sure about the parents though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++