WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Crushing Vitamins

I'm sure everyone has heard how the majority of nutrients in a vitamin pill are mostly passed through your system, without being absorbed. Does anyone know why?
    What if one were to crush the pill and mix it in a drink, would this aid the body in absorbing more nutrients from the pill, vice swallowing whole?

Images

Capsules.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I'm sure everyone has heard how the majority of nutrients in a vitamin pill are mostly passed through your system, without being absorbed. Does anyone know why?
    'Cause your body can't absorb them that fast.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Try New Chapter, or a whole food vitamin ( non-synthetic). A little pricier, but easier for the body to absorb
    ad astra per aspera

Centrum makes a liquid vitamin supplement, I use it for my shakes.

How does it taste?
    ad astra per aspera

eat what you need from FOOD. Use vitamines as a "supplement".
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    How does it taste?
    It doesn't smell too tasty, I've only ever used it in a pint protein shake for that reason. It has iron and some other minerals added so that is a lot of the smell, sort of codliver oil like. I'm still shopping for a protein shake mix in a pouch and I plan to add this stuff to that powder.

There is a current thread on Hammock forums about a SOBO on the trail now who is having trouble staying warm at night in a hammock in simalar temps to what he's been sleeping in up the trail. He's lost 25#, a lot of people need to loose that much but I don't and I'm developing a plan to prevent it and I think a vitamin supplement is essential. Most vitamins function as coenzymes in your body, that means if the vitamins aren't there, that biological/cellular function doesn't occur.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    What if one were to crush the pill and mix it in a drink, would this aid the body in absorbing more nutrients from the pill, vice swallowing whole?
    It is not a problem of absorption. Water soluable vitamins ( B,C for example )are absorbed but can't be stored so the excess goes out in your urine. Fat soluable vitamins ( A,D,K,E, ) can be stored by your body and you will store at least some of the excess.

Quote Originally Posted by Critterman View Post
    It is not a problem of absorption. Water soluable vitamins ( B,C for example )are absorbed but can't be stored so the excess goes out in your urine. Fat soluable vitamins ( A,D,K,E, ) can be stored by your body and you will store at least some of the excess.
    Very True, Thanks. I've been reading up on this and found there are some other reasons, such as lifestyle, i.e. smoking, drinking... that will prevent the absorbtion. I guess my misunderstanding came from listening to too many "internet doctors" on this subject...when will I learn?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

(from a web site I found)

Water soluble

B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are water-soluble vitamins that are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.
    These vitamins are easily destroyed or washed out during food storage and preparation.

Fat soluble

Small amounts of vitamins A, D, E and K are needed to maintain good health.
    Foods that contain these vitamins will not lose them when cooked.
    The body does not need these every day and stores them in the liver when not used.
    Most people do not need vitamin supplements.
    Megadoses of vitamins A, D, E or K can be toxic and lead to health problems.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default Protein Shake

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    It doesn't smell too tasty, I've only ever used it in a pint protein shake for that reason. It has iron and some other minerals added so that is a lot of the smell, sort of codliver oil like. I'm still shopping for a protein shake mix in a pouch and I plan to add this stuff to that powder.
    Try GNC and zip-lock it your self.(avaiable at rite-aid, wal-mart and other stores on the trail) cheaper. Also have u looked at the nutrition page on thru-hike info prep section http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=nutrition
    very helpful on what to eat. there are so many ways to eat health and keep it LITE WEIGHT.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    (from a web site I found)
    Most people do not need vitamin supplements.
    Megadoses of vitamins A, D, E or K can be toxic and lead to health problems.
    Your right, a good balanced diet is all u need. and alot of sunshine(on the trail)

[quote=Blissful;468418...Most people do not need vitamin supplements.
    Megadoses of vitamins A, D, E or K can be toxic and lead to health problems.[/quote]
    True, anything in excess can be fatal, such as - too much water: Water intoxication. Seriously, you can die from drinking too much water, especially if you're participating in an arduous activity, such as hiking on a hot day. Excess water will dissolve vital electrolytes that are necessary to maintain blood pressure and other bodily functions.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Your right, a good balanced diet is all u need. and alot of sunshine(on the trail)
    Simply not so. "A good balanced diet is all U need" Yeah, right, defined "balanced diet" for me please. There is probably not a single person reading this who eats what they are supposed to eat, I know I don't, and I know I eat WAY healthier than most.

I'll beat the Jack LaLanne drum again, he's 93 and could probably outhike anyone reading this rant, unless maybe Trauma reads this. He takes forty supplements everyday, in addition to ACTUALLY EATING PROPERLY! So take your health advice from someone with a proven track record, not from fat people who huff and puff walking up a flight of stairs, like your average doctor.

About the so-called USDA RDA, that is the minimum nutrition to stave off disease, if you take in less, you get sick. Think of it as a building code, if you do less, you'll have structural failure of a building, ditto for your body.

As for the lipid soluble vitamins A, D, E, & K, yes they can be toxic at VERY high levels. The RDA for vit E is 30 IU, 400 IU is proven to be 100% safe for decades and is a proven antioxidant at that dose. Vit D RDA is 400 IU, much higher doses are proven beneficial, especially for your lung function. How many people are on blood thinners (Plavix, cumadin etc) Vit K does the same thing.

The average MD is in worse health than the average american, has little or no training in nutrition, and is markedly unfit. He is a high-paid pill pusher for pharmaceutical companies.

Images

Default Pop-tarts

Simply not so. "A good balanced diet is all U need" Yeah, right, defined "balanced diet" for me please. There is probably not a single person reading this who eats what they are supposed to eat, I know I don't, and I know I eat WAY healthier than most.
    Balance your diet first. add suppliments if u want. but all i read on these threads is, poptart,poptart,poptart,noodles,noodles,noodles,sn ickers,snickers,snickers. not much on how to eat RIGHT. your right, they don't eat at home right, why should they eat right on the trail. i don't think most people know what amount of calories they will be burning and how this will affect the body and MIND(main reason people quit a trip, any long trip). if your diet is of the utmost importance, you will do better. Your right, i'm wrong, "it may not be all u need" But its a good start. suppliments are to suppliment, they are not the main fuel. i love an protein mix in the morning. replaces my coffee

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Balance your diet first. add suppliments if u want. but all i read on these threads is, poptart,poptart,poptart,noodles,noodles,noodles,sn ickers,snickers,snickers. not much on how to eat RIGHT. your right, they don't eat at home right, why should they eat right on the trail. i don't think most people know what amount of calories they will be burning and how this will affect the body and MIND(main reason people quit a trip, any long trip). if your diet is of the utmost importance, you will do better. Your right, i'm wrong, "it may not be all u need" But its a good start. suppliments are to suppliment, they are not the main fuel. i love an protein mix in the morning. replaces my coffee
    Excellent point Karl that I failed to make, the diet is the foundation, supplements are like beefing up the concrete, but you gotta have something to build on or the house will fall down. And you are so right about pop tarts, seems like everybody lives off those things, that won't build much of a foundation.

Images

Excellent point Karl that I failed to make, the diet is the foundation, supplements are like beefing up the concrete, but you gotta have something to build on or the house will fall down. And you are so right about pop tarts, seems like everybody lives off those things, that won't build much of a foundation.
    DON'T BUILD YOUR HOUSE ON SAND

I'll beat the Jack LaLanne drum again, he's 93 and could probably outhike anyone reading this rant, unless maybe Trauma reads this. He takes forty supplements everyday, in addition to ACTUALLY EATING PROPERLY! So take your health advice from someone with a proven track record, not from fat people who huff and puff walking up a flight of stairs, like your average doctor.

About the so-called USDA RDA, that is the minimum nutrition to stave off disease, if you take in less, you get sick. Think of it as a building code, if you do less, you'll have structural failure of a building, ditto for your body.

As for the lipid soluble vitamins A, D, E, & K, yes they can be toxic at VERY high levels. The RDA for vit E is 30 IU, 400 IU is proven to be 100% safe for decades and is a proven antioxidant at that dose. Vit D RDA is 400 IU, much higher doses are proven beneficial, especially for your lung function. How many people are on blood thinners (Plavix, cumadin etc) Vit K does the same thing.

The average MD is in worse health than the average american, has little or no training in nutrition, and is markedly unfit. He is a high-paid pill pusher for pharmaceutical companies.
    Well said. I take more than 40 pills, powders, a day. Plus I eat extremely healthy. I use this multi vit as a base www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_pu008.htm
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Well said. I take more than 40 pills, powders, a day.
    And people consider that "healthy"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++