WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

'Puting While Intoxicated. (Posting)

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
    Those pictures were up months ago....he's talking about changing something now......why the shartstorm? So what the guy didn't think to take down his picture before he asked a (somewhat?) related question.
    I did say he could start here! (by taking the pics down)
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

General Lee,
    I know what you are trying to do and I have gone through it. The main thing is you have to really want to quit. Being on the trail willnot solve your problems. You can remove yourself from the situations in which you want to quit but what happens when you are confronted with the temptation to drink. Its called will power and you need to get some. I live with 9 guys and 7 of them are hardcore drinkers. I just made up my mind as to what is important. It is also hard when you are sitting around doing nothing. Most of the time I would drink or smoke because I was bored. YOU are the only one who can make that decision to quit or do it in moderation. Alot of the time to fight the temptation, I go on a run or hike in the woods. Nature is its own detoxifyer. Good luckin your quest and I highly suggest you remove that picture. Stuipid stupid decision

Default http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    I believe this comment was about the think button was aimed at EWS - who richly deserved to be chastised for his comments in this thread.
    Sorry, it isn't his fault. He should keep on riding and driving around drunk.

If you need serious help with your drinking problem call AA.

CENTRAL OFFICE
    127 PEACHTREE ST STE 1310
    ATLANTA GA 30303
    404 525-3178
    E-mail: [email protected]
    http://www.atlantaaa.org

Last edited by EWS; 12-10-2007 at 11:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Hmmmm.... this fellow is talking about wanting to make a change and you guys are bashing him for past behavior....
    I agree with FD. To quote our President when I was young and foolish I acted young and foolish. This is one time that he who is without sin cast the first stone really applies. Changing isn't about the stupid things you did in the past, it is about the smart things you will do in the future.

Images

Easier to meet women when you are not babbling.

Good motivation.

Best to you in your quest.

Quitting ain't that hard.

I was an alcholic when I was 16, used to do whiskey shots in the morning to "wake up" before class. This went on till I was 'bout 18, I decided to just quit drinking hard, limit myself to an occasional drink with friends, and it worked out till I went to college.

In college I drank to deal with all the crap that I had going on in my life. 19 hours of classes, being a stupid kid that pledged a frat (I think I got kicked out after I told most of them to toss off), a mom that had tumors being removed etc...I think that my siblings were hitting the bottles pretty hard then, it was a rough 3 years on us.

Sometime during my Junior I sobered up, I was tired of wasting my money on booze. I still drink, but its controlled. If I don't want to drink, I don't drink, and if you're a friend and you give me ***** about it, I'll punch you in the face. My friends don't give me ***** about it and everythings fine, I just end up having to drive drunks more often than I remember.

So if you really want to quit, just be a man and quit, or better yet, learn how to control it.

Sorry, forgot to answer the real original post...

I don't think that I'd use the trail to quit, at least not the AT. If you want to quit and then hike (I'd say go maybe 2 months without a night of serious drinking). Think about doing a less travelled trail, I'd say go SOBO on the PCT, or maybe do the CDT, you won't really see many people, so the temptation to hop off the trail with your new buds to grab a few brews won't be as tempting.

At least thats what I would do, then again I'm not you, I'm just another youngin that needs to hike and learn something practical (you know, the stuff that you cannot learn in college)

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Seriously..it's a bit different as addictions go, but I used a couple of weeks on the trail last year to quit smoking.

The thing is, I was receiving offers of cigarettes from other hikers from day 1. So, it wasn't like the trail kept me away from temptation. The cinch was that I was ready and wanted to make the change. The exertion of hiking helped, but the desire and willpower have to be in place.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    I was ready and wanted to make the change.

desire and willpower have to be in place.
    That is the main thing. It is hard because you have friends that drink and smoke and what not, and hanging out gets a bit tough. Yea, dont use the trail to quit, because it will present itself whether you like it or not. Just grow some brass and make the decision. You are the only one that can make that decision, not your frat brothers. And take that damn picture down,

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    Seriously..it's a bit different as addictions go, but I used a couple of weeks on the trail last year to quit smoking.

The thing is, I was receiving offers of cigarettes from other hikers from day 1. So, it wasn't like the trail kept me away from temptation. The cinch was that I was ready and wanted to make the change. The exertion of hiking helped, but the desire and willpower have to be in place.
    i go to Springer every year with a couple of cartons of cigs. by Neel gap i'm able to sell them for $10 a pack. lots try to quit. it don't work on the AT

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    i go to Springer every year with a couple of cartons of cigs. by Neel gap i'm able to sell them for $10 a pack. lots try to quit. it don't work on the AT
    I guess it would be hard to quit when hiking with a pusher.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I guess it would be hard to quit when hiking with a pusher.
    just providin' a service is all

Preying on weakness!!!!OH MY!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Could be a good way to help pay for a thru-hike, just beat the crowds to a location, pack in some beer, cigs, and other items, jack up the price and sell to the suckers. Would help make a pretty little penny I imagine....

And my brother, Bartender, has been pouring for free at the campsites. Maybe we should charge for the service?

Carry Jim Beam Black and I'll pay.

Quote Originally Posted by EWS View Post
    Carry Jim Beam Black and I'll pay.
    Sorry, we hike with Johnny. Johnny Walker Black. Maybe they are related?

I guess I should have posted this thread on the "straight foward" area. I guess when I said detox I should have elaborated more but I certainly didn't think I was going to get the ****storm that I did, but I guess I have come to realize thats about the kind of stuff you have to expect from some of the people around here.

I dont have a problem with drinking, its a great time, I might drink once a week if that but I still seem to need that once a week to blow off any steam. I think out of the 50 replies 5 people actually gave me their opinion on the actual question. I dont mind drinking, I just think it would be cool to after going 5 months not really feeling like I want to drink (because that would have been the longest period without drinking I have gone since I was about 18).

As regards to the picture, that was a damn fun day/night but not so much the next day. I wouldnt take that picture off because I dont mind drinking (as noted in the earlier "paragraph") and thats just a reminder of a bad ass weekend. Granted it looks bad but if you knew that we were actually in a supermarket parking lot driving about 5 miles an hour while the driver of the car was taking the picture.

But anyways, thanks for everyone who actually answered the question and thanks for all the other people who actually took time in their day to waste their life to try and cause problems and also give me a little laugh.

oh and no L Wolf I wasnt drunk.
    Southern By The Grace of God

Images

ESC = Enabling Service Campain

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++