WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: a good upgrade?

Default a good upgrade?

Hey all,

I am looking to upgrade my down vest and EMS just put their EMS Glacier on 50% sale... I have been lusting after a Montbell UL vest but for the price (40$) this "appears" to be a pretty good deal.
    Anyone have any experience with this vest or the equiv. jacket?
    Pros? Cons?

I have had a couple of their products but do not know what their down stuff is like, and I have searched the web for the spec weight on this vest and have not been able to find it.

Any feedback would be a great help,
    thanks

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Stop in or call - I'm sure they can give you the weight. I've had good experience with EMS products, including down clothing and sleeping bags. They stand behind their stuff, and have hassle-free exchange/replace/refund policies, at least at my local EMS.

EMS uses 650-fill down, so their stuff is not the lightest.

650 FP is average, but not the best. for $40 it would be nice, and EMS has great quality stuff.

Most likely the shell fabric is heavier duty (and heavier) than a premium name brand vest - they have to warranty it, and market it to a broad range of users, some not as gentle as someone who spends top dollar to get the lightest and best.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default google?

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...45524442590741

a little googling found the weight to be 1 lb 6.7 oz. For me that is too heavy for a 3 season garmet. I also have the MB down inner vest. I plan on using it with a long sleeve T (5 oz), plus a 100 wt fleece (8 oz), plus a frogg togg jacket for three season use (7 oz). Winter time is another story, and maybe this glacier jacket can fit into your winter set up. The price sure is right!

Thanks guys, capoken, i was interested in the vest... the weight is not listed, but it should be comparable to the 19.2 oz nuptse vest by TNF if the jacket itself is 22.7. And almost a third of the price.
    not very packable IMO though, it is the one thing that has stopped me thus far.

oh yeah, i stopped in and they were not able to locate the weight for me.

++ New Posts ++