WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

I vote for cowboy coffee. I pour it through a strainer into a cup (the cup 44g and the strainer 8g are my luxury items) I have this little green thing that REI sells as sort of a tea ball. I discarded half of it and use the other half to strain. Good cowboy coffee is as good as coffee from a press IMHO.

I do love my coffee on the trail. I have been laughed at because I use a press but to me there is nothing better than a really good cup of coffee in the morning and the ritual is so rewarding. I know it does not go along with light weight hiking but I'm the one carring it and I don't ask anyone to do it. The smell and tast, good lord I'm salivating thinking about it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Valmet
    I do love my coffee on the trail. I have been laughed at because I use a press but to me there is nothing better than a really good cup of coffee in the morning and the ritual is so rewarding. I know it does not go along with light weight hiking but I'm the one carring it and I don't ask anyone to do it. The smell and tast, good lord I'm salivating thinking about it. :-)
    I do love my coffee too. But lately I've been trying tea. Good too.

I've already posted a rave review about using a coffee pod in a cup - I have really become addicted to using them this way now. I generally only drink one big cup of coffee at a time and this make excellent java. I've tried the Folgers and the Maxwell House now. Both are first rate. And the coffee is so good I have been actually drinking it black. No more worries about cream/creamers on the trail
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images

I normally carry some good Columbian instant coffee but when I'm in the mood for "gourmet", I take a "Smart Cafe"( simple coffee press/insulated cup ) found at most Publix grocery stores. It's been a while since I weighed it, but I seem to remember that it tipped the scales @ 5 oz.+/-. Simply take your favorite coffee and follow the instructions. Decadent, hedonistic and very simple to use, but on long or hurried hikes it becomes a (little)bit of a chore to cleanup.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Default Ti Press

I'm thinking about splurging. I can't do without coffee!

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/SN2410
    Last edited by Ravendog; 11-23-2005 at 23:20.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendog

Look in Publix supermarket for http://www.smartcafe.co.uk/products/...travel_cup.asp

The plastic version weighs 6.5 oz, holds 16 oz and costs between $10-15.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendog

I have that model...I love it..have carried it on the AT...made coffee on the above tree line tundra in Denali with it.

use it on a Daily basis...

what eventually happens to it is the rubber insert of the plunger arm wears out,,,
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

One way to mask the instant coffee taste is to add an envelope of instant cocoa. Mocha ala Trail! It won't satisfy coffee purists but it gets the caffeine down.

Images

I've used a cheap coffee steeper I picked up at the local grocery store - a Tops Rapid Brew One-Cup microwave coffeemaker. Weighs 10 grams. I bring a 1.5 oz bag of my favorite coffee for a weekend trip, then fill it about 2/3 full. Bring water to a boil, pour over it in the cup. Swirl for a few minutes, and the coffee gets stronger and blacker as you drink I just did a quick web search - it appears they've been discontinued - the grocery store only had 3 left last week, and had them marked down to $1.50 - I bought all three! You do get some grounds leaking out - probably not as good as the MSR mugmate (similar principle, tho) - has worked for me for a couple of years!

http://tinyurl.com/8xba8
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I'm thinking of getting the ti version and use the pot part for just boiling water/another pot. I have a pyrex one for car camping, and by the time you drink the second cup, it has cooled off. I imagine the plastic version would be a better insulator, but I like being able to keep it hot. Plus, it satisfies my insane desire to buy another toy. My wife thinks I am certifiable (insane, that is).

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I have a fleece stuff sack for my Ti coffee press,,, helps to insulate it ,

It is really great to make fresh hot coffee to go with your pancakes in the morning,
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    I have a fleece stuff sack for my Ti coffee press,,, helps to insulate it ,

It is really great to make fresh hot coffee to go with your pancakes in the morning,
    I perfer the "special" homemade brownies I make for hiking breakfasts!!!
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

My dad gave me a bag of Jack Daniels coffee over the weekend. That stuffs good.

http://www.easycoffee.com/jadagocoold7.html

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    One way to mask the instant coffee taste is to add an envelope of instant cocoa. Mocha ala Trail! It won't satisfy coffee purists but it gets the caffeine down.
    I've used this trick before. It avoids the need to add a sweetener (I have a horrific sweet tooth so coffee black is a last resort). Add a shot of whiskey and you've got a great trail drink. I prefer American whiskey -- preferably bourbon -- but damn near any whiskey works.

Images

Default Coffee

Most instant coffees just do not have the flavor so I started looking. At http://www.onefreshcup.com I found exactly what I wanted and the flavor is excellent. For those of you who like drip coffee, then go to the onefreshcup website.
    Trailfinder

Images

Anyone ever try the MSR Mugmate? I've used it for Tea but not for coffee, even though it will do coffee.
    My wife bought some stuff called Maxim at the Asian market. It is instant coffee with cream and sugar already added in individual serving tube wrappers. If you're in a hurry and not that particular about your coffee it would be very convenient for backpacking. I may give it a try on my next trip.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Default addictions

I have been a coffee junkie for a long time and cold turkey withdrawl can be painful. Mostly I have done that, just to prove I can and a hike is a good time to do it. I actually switched to chicken soup several times and lived to tell about it.
    What I want is a sun doubble expresso maker.

I love the cute little backpacking espresso makers on my weekend trips, but they are just a bit too heavy for thruhiking. I REALLY need that anti-grav unit!

Images

Hey, I thought I was the only one to use those! They actually work, although they are a bit messy to clean up and don't make quite enough. My brother gave me one as a joke, and he was astonished when I took it along on a hike with him. Even more astonished at its functionality.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++