WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Default Custom External Frame

Your talking about my Pack frames. I am still learning how to sew and haven't decided what I want the Bag part for those two frames to look like yet. I am working on the Pack Bags for the Pack Frame/Sled first as I want to try it in the snow somewhere this season. As far as the other 2 frames go, the lighter one will use the 4 upright supports like pack stays. They will be sewn into the pack bag. This Pack will be a part of an ultra-lite setup for a summer AT Thru-Hike of 100 trail days, more or less. I want to keep the pack bag off my back as it has to be much cooler. I expect the finished pack frame, straps, and bag to be in the 16oz range maybe a little less. The model for the first frame was an old Army Ruck Sack frame that I have. The second frame was trying to make the 1st one even lighter.

Default Packless frame

Quote Originally Posted by gardenville
    Your talking about my Pack frames. I am still learning how to sew and haven't decided what I want the Bag part for those two frames to look like yet. I am working on the Pack Bags for the Pack Frame/Sled first as I want to try it in the snow somewhere this season. As far as the other 2 frames go, the lighter one will use the 4 upright supports like pack stays. They will be sewn into the pack bag. This Pack will be a part of an ultra-lite setup for a summer AT Thru-Hike of 100 trail days, more or less. I want to keep the pack bag off my back as it has to be much cooler. I expect the finished pack frame, straps, and bag to be in the 16oz range maybe a little less. The model for the first frame was an old Army Ruck Sack frame that I have. The second frame was trying to make the 1st one even lighter.
    Hi,

I'm looking for a frame without a pack. Want to hang stuff on the frame without a pack. You have a source for your frames?

Thanks,

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mvenable
    Hi,

I'm looking for a frame without a pack. Want to hang stuff on the frame without a pack. You have a source for your frames?

Thanks,
    Hi,
    To make sure we are talking about the same pack frames. Post #16 this thread, Yellow Jacket put 2 pictures of my pack frames in his Photo album. It these are what you are talking about?? I made both of them. You might say that I am the "source" for the frames.

Quote Originally Posted by mvenable
    Hi,

Thanks,
    Check out military surplus stores for Alice pack frames, or try yard sales for old worn out external frame packs.

Images

Default Custom External Frames

I am glad to see a new interest in the External Frame Pack. I added a bunch of pictures of what I have been making. Two Ultra-light (stripped frames at 6 and 7oz) and one that is both a Sled and a Pack Frame (at 3 pounds). They are located under Gardenville in the "My Gallery" section here.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

What weight of sil-nylon are you using? It looks thicker than 1.1, but it could be because it is black. What type of seam do you sew when connecting sections/panels of the packbag? Just a simple single straight seam or something fancier like a felled, mock-felled or a French seam?
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Images

Default Custom External Frame

The pack you see with the frame was made out of scrap 1.9 ripstop left over from other things. I also had a small piece of something heavier that I used in the bottom panel. That stuff was from a old stuff sack. All seams are folded 2 times like a standard hem and then sewed to the next piece to hid the edge of the ripstop or what ever I am using. The load bearing seams are usually sewn 3 times or reinforced with Grosgrain, nylon bias tape or a zipzag stitch.

The bag part weighs 7.9oz. the straps 2oz. the frame with the small hip belt is 7.9oz for a total of 17.8oz for the complete set-up.

This pack bag was made to check my pattern for the real one. The "for real" pack bag will use .5oz or .7oz sailmaker spinnaker material. I have a bunch of both weights and haven't decided which I will use yet. I will also replace the boot lace cord with spectra cord and have a couple ideas where I can save a few more grams. The hip belt will be different and use a lighter buckle and I am looking for lighter cord loc's. I just want everything to weigh less than 16oz and I don't think that will be a problem.

If I ever decide to sew a tarp I will worry about learning how to sew a "fancier" seam.

Quote Originally Posted by Streamweaver
    Luxurylite.com Not a bad Idea considering Valcour is getting $600.00+ a pop for a system like you describe!! Streamweaver
    Website says $295.

Luxlite

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++