WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can it all fit ????

I'm about 99% sure that I am getting the GSI Extreme Cookset (small- 1L & 1.5L pot w/ 2 lids/pans) (campmor part #82413). I'm looking for some kind of titanium plate and cup that I could fit inside of there along with my stove. I know its going to be a tight fit but I really want to try and make this possible. I'm using an Optimus Nova+ stove. I was looking at the Titan Cup which says that its 3 3/8's tall. The only stats that I can find on the cookset says that its 4.25 inches tall BUT thats for the entire cookset.... I only plan on using the 1L pot most of the time and I'm not sure what the dimensions are (if anyone has them that would be great). Also, I believe that the pot is like 6.5" round but Im not sure if those dimensions are from the top or from the bottom, also Im not sure if the pot is tapered or not. I just want to have all of my bases covered and would like to buy all of this at once and know that its going to work. If anyone has any suggestions for me as to what will work or not I would really appreciate. I already have a set of the collapsible plastic cup & plate but Im looking for something a little more sturdy for a possible through hike next year. Like I said before, any help is appreciated.

Veeery few people do not eat right out of the pot (weight/convenience/keeps food warmer longer).
    Very few people carry a cup. If a hot drink is made it is also drunk from the pot - usually. Save yourself the worry/expense/weight.

You don't need a 1.5 L pot for solo use, if you want to buy both pots for solo use and hiking with a partner and it'll save a buck by buying the kit then fine. I don't know why you need a plate, you just eat out of the pot, if someone else is along let them carry their own container. As for cups, Snow Peak makes titanium cups from 10oz up to small pot size, so one of 'em will fit. I can tell you the Snow Peak 450 ml cup is 3 5/16ths in diameter, so it should fit on its side.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Veeery few people do not eat right out of the pot (weight/convenience/keeps food warmer longer).
    Very few people carry a cup. If a hot drink is made it is also drunk from the pot - usually. Save yourself the worry/expense/weight.
    I completly agree with eating out of the pot. I plan to do that. The reason why I wanted a plate is because most of the time when I hit the trails its me and a buddy of mine but my girlfriend comes along sometimes and I just wanted to have something that I could fit inside my kit for her to eat off of. The plates not that big of a deal but if I could find one, it would be nice.

As for the cup, I would really like one to use for coffee and other hot drinks. Especially in the morning. I big boost in my morale on the trail will be making breakfast while drinking a nice cup of coffee (even if its instant ).

I am definetly still open to suggestions though since Im sure the majority of the poeple who post on this site have more experience than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    You don't need a 1.5 L pot for solo use, if you want to buy both pots for solo use and hiking with a partner and it'll save a buck by buying the kit then fine. I don't know why you need a plate, you just eat out of the pot, if someone else is along let them carry their own container. As for cups, Snow Peak makes titanium cups from 10oz up to small pot size, so one of 'em will fit. I can tell you the Snow Peak 450 ml cup is 3 5/16ths in diameter, so it should fit on its side.
    I posted above that I only plan on using the 1L pot for myself. The only time I will bring the 1.5L is when I take trips with my girlfriend so I can just make one large meal instead of making her wait until Im done cooking or vise versa.

As for the plate, I posted above my reasoning. Like I said, if I cannot find one... its not that great of a deal but it would help out in some situations.

As for the cups, thanks for the suggestions. I was checking out the snow peak but I couldnt find any specs on their sizes. I want to try and get a cup that I could fit my stove into. Just for better compactibilty and it will keep my stove from sliding around while its inside my cookware.

Images

If you insist on plate/cup, try Squishy bowls.. http://www.rei.com/product/752844?cm...Squishy%20Bowl
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

get Travel mugs for $1 at the Dollar Store...

You could always drink your hot beverage out of your pot. Very few long distance hikers carry more than a pot and a lid, some even use aluminum foil for the lid.

Usually when a dimension is given, it is taken at the widest point. But you can always call the manufacturer or retailer if you need more information. Many of the gear companies have helpful people answering the telephone.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Gotta agree with Cuffs on this one. I bought a set of Squishy Bowls a couple months ago and love them! I only carry the large one in my chow kit and use it for breakfast oatmeal or soup that I like with dinner. They're easy to clean (Just turn it inside out and lick), hold plenty of food/liquid and easy to handle when filled with hot liquid since they're silicone. Good choice, IMO.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

If you are planning on a thru hike just carry one pot.. I like Model T's story about how he handles cooking, he boils the water, uses most of it to cook his meal.. then he pours the rest in and uses this to brush his teeth.. and rinse out the pot.. Then he simply drinks it all up...

Images

Is the GF too good too eat out of a ziplock bag like the rest of us?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Was that was you mean to say? Or did you mean, very few people do eat out of the pot? (ie: freezerbag cooking)

Images

if you need a plate/bowl/cup look into the orikaso set. i purchased the mug and bowl for a grand total of 5.00$.. it doubles as a brain teaser for the 1st couple of days .. nitewalker

Images

I like to have a coffee cup also. This little gem from Snow Peak should lay down in your pot. It fits nicely in my Evernew 0.9L. You may want to construct a cardboard tube of similar dimensions to play around with the fit prior to making a purchase.

Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    I'm about 99% sure that I am getting the GSI Extreme Cookset (small- 1L & 1.5L pot w/ 2 lids/pans) (campmor part #82413). ...
    I have one of the GSI Cooksets, but would never think of hauling the entire set on a long-distance hike, unless I were feeding a group. I might not even take the big pot (by itself, of course), unless I wanted to do campfire pizza or the like, regularly.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I have a spacecup aluminun w/handle raparound when not in use,18fl.ozs. The best part are; it weight 5oz & it fits inside your watter bottle. It isa GSI Outdoors brand, I got mine from EMS., for $7.50. I do know Campmor carry that brand. Also iyou can use this cup to cook or boil water in it, &is you eat dehydrated meals you realy don't use a bowl,.

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    I posted above that I only plan on using the 1L pot for myself. The only time I will bring the 1.5L is when I take trips with my girlfriend so I can just make one large meal instead of making her wait until Im done cooking or vise versa.

As for the plate, I posted above my reasoning. Like I said, if I cannot find one... its not that great of a deal but it would help out in some situations.

As for the cups, thanks for the suggestions. I was checking out the snow peak but I couldnt find any specs on their sizes. I want to try and get a cup that I could fit my stove into. Just for better compactibilty and it will keep my stove from sliding around while its inside my cookware.
    My MSR Simmerlite fits inside the Snow Peak 450 cup, the hose and the end of the legs protrude about 2in. Wrapped in a bandana that should work well. I have a lexan bowl (it's green) that I believe I got at REI, that should work for feeding a partner. Snowpeak also makes a titanium bowl.

As for not carrying a 2oz cup, if you like a hot drink WITH your meal how do you propose to do that if you prepare your entree in your lone pot? I'll just suffer through with my "heavy" cup.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    if you need a plate/bowl/cup look into the orikaso set. i purchased the mug and bowl for a grand total of 5.00$.. it doubles as a brain teaser for the 1st couple of days .. nitewalker
    I have the Orikaso solo set (plate, bowl and cup) but I didnt even consider using it for a thru-hike. Reason being, I just baught it recently and have never even used it yet but just from folding the plate up a few times to show friends, where the tab creases at its already started to turn white and I was just worried about the tabs snapping off. And if one of the tabs snap off is finished since the tabs are the only thing thats holding them together. How has your experience been witht them?

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I have one of the GSI Cooksets, but would never think of hauling the entire set on a long-distance hike, unless I were feeding a group. I might not even take the big pot (by itself, of course), unless I wanted to do campfire pizza or the like, regularly.

RainMan

I only plan on using the 1L pot and the lid/pan. Total weight is comming in at a little under 11oz's. You stil think thats too heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    I like to have a coffee cup also. This little gem from Snow Peak should lay down in your pot. It fits nicely in my Evernew 0.9L. You may want to construct a cardboard tube of similar dimensions to play around with the fit prior to making a purchase.
    Thanks for the idea. When I get my mess kit I'm going to try that out. I think my GF's going to buy me the kit for Christmas so well see. If not, Im going to order it ASAP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++