WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lightbulb Half-Price Books!

I was just at my local Half-Price Books store when I stumbled upon the AT PA Guide 2000 for $5, and the two-volume set of "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" by Rodale for $7 total. The Rodale series is a bit old but still interesting. I was wondering what everyone else has found like this, if anything.

--Nick--

Nick, Let us know if there were multiple copies of the Rodale 2-vol set. I'd be interested in a copy. Thanks. Mame
    "Live, Agnes, LIVE!"

Sorry but I only saw one...and trust me I scored that store for anything else AT related. After I finish reading it, maybe I can send you it? IDK, I think we can work something out.

--Nick--

You got lucky with the Rodale books - they usually sell for about $50 for the set. Although dated, they are a good resource for learning about the AT.

That Rodale set is classic. Good for many hours of entertainment and education. It's interesting to compare & contrast thru-hiking then and now. Some things have changed radically, but most of the attitudes and observations are timeless.

One of my favorites (and still in print) is Roland Mueser's "Long Distance Hiking", Lessons from the Appalachian Trail. It's based on his own thru hike in 1989 and detailed questionnaires filled out by about 150 thru-hikers that year. Again, it's interesting to note what's changed and what hasn't.

Images

I found a first edition, first printing of Christopher Moore's Lamb at Half-Priced books for $5.98. That book sell from $150-250. It was a super sweet find and I am a huge Christopher Moore fan so I will be keeping it. I have never found anything interesting in the hiking section.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Mame View Post
    Nick, Let us know if there were multiple copies of the Rodale 2-vol set. I'd be interested in a copy. Thanks. Mame
    Looks like there are several used copies on Amazon in the $9-$10 range.

I have that 2 vol set from Rodale, I wound not take any amount ( almost) for the books.. I have had mine for 30+ years.. and still read them.. I would love to have a backup set.

Images

Be sure to check half.com if you are looking for book. They are dirt cheap on there.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

++ New Posts ++