WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Thumbs up The AT did what for you this year?

As the year of 2007 draws to a close in less than two weeks.What enjoyment,experience,or new outlooks on life did the AT bring you.

Images

The little stretch from Newfound Gap to Icewater Springs gave my girlfriend and me an easy approach to Mt. LeConte. She's not the strongest hiker, but she always moves along.

Next year, I've agreed to walk the AT though the Smokies with her over three sections. She doesn't care for more than about 8 miles a day, but she gets stronger (inside and out) each time we're out.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I finally got to stay at the Doyle Hotel, and reaffirmed my notion that fat men can hike.. Those were noteworthy.

Took my second-longest section hike ever, and finished it, by golly. Met great people, lost eighteen pounds, saw cool wildlife (a rattler, a bear, wild turkey, oodles of deer.) Headed down below the Mason-Dixon for the first time in ages... and survived. Walked through Harpers Ferry, Duncannon, Shenandoah National Park. Had a fabulous blackberry milkshake. Climbed the Priest, sat on McAffee Knob. Stayed at the Doyle and at Ironmasters. Camped on top of Mary's Rock. Met Mr. Wiffle and Chilly. Fifteen miles a day for thirty-nine days. Not too shabby for an old phart, if I say so myself. PS, on a sad note... those 18 pounds? They're back.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I finally got to stay at the Doyle Hotel, and reaffirmed my notion that fat men can hike.. Those was noteworthy.
    Oh yea Fatt men can hike,I favor that snot in the musinex commercial going down the trail,laughing and enjoying every step I take.

Images

The trail taught me that this is one realllly big country. It also taught me that it's ok to have a different perspective outside the mass consumption lifestyle that the media bombards us with ... it also taught me that there are a lot more good people than bad. It taught me that my dog and I are a couple of tough sumbitches - it taught me too much to put into words. It taught me that there is still magic and goodnes in the world. But that's just me - I had a great experience.... I'm sure there are plenty of others that dont want to see another tree for the rest of their lives.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

It taught me that there are a lot of messy hikers that stay in shelters.....

We had to hike out a lot of crap that should never have been left in the first place....

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    It taught me that there are a lot of messy hikers that stay in shelters.....

We had to hike out a lot of crap that should never have been left in the first place....

Is your cup always half empty?

I introduced one of my oldest friends and his son to backpacking this year on a short hike from Carver's Gap back down to Erwin.. They really liked it!

Slowest Hiker On Earth

This year the AT brought me:

Pride in myself knowing that if I persevere I will make it to my destination.
    (both on and off the trail)

I got to meet Ron a couple of times.

I learned not to take water for granted.

And fat girls can hike too

The AT got my pastor interested in hiking (if only temporarily). He and his wife came with me and my wife to the Inn at Long Trail the first time this year for my wife's birthday (as we have done for the past 10 years or so). We walked the mile or so down the hill to Gifford Woods State park where we met our wives who had had a nice walk around the campground. He expressed an interest in getting the youth in our church out doing the same. Hopefully, we can get something together next year with the kids.
    Now that was worth the trip!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Last year, I got to meet the trail....this year I got to know it. I look at it everyday, and the beauty of it never fades. I'm thankful everyday, for taking that fist step off Springer....when I did, I never thought that I'd step into a new life!

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

The trail gave me a chance to meet some great people this year - Miss Janet and her daughter & Uncle Johnny & his helper Shelley in April, and Ron Haven and his helper Dave in October are those that stand out the most. I got to meet (and be inspired by) some wonderful northbound and southbound thru-hikers and section hikers.

It gave me the chance to hike 137 miles in a little over a couple of weeks thanks to the kindness and support of the fine folks mentioned by name above.

It gave me the chance to get closer to family & friends I hiked with. Not to mention some beautiful views, some sunshine, some rain, some snow, some cold winds, and some warm breezes. It gave me the chance to see my fourth bear in the wilderness, and countless smaller mammals and birds. It gave me the chance to challenge myself and to kick back and relax. It gave me the chance to escape from the pressures of the modern world for a while, yet still know that many of the conveniences were available when I chose to avail myself of them.

I have to say the trail was good to me this year.

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Default Dry in the South,= Reality

I was in Hot Springs NC 1st week in October, to hike on the AT, but came home early due to NO WATER at ANY reliable sources. Only 2 water sources in a 40 mile strech of trail North of Hot Springs, some hikers were getting off of the 35 mile section South of Hot Springs told me "DON"T DO IT", they were all going home to recover from dehydration.

I drove home 12 hours the next day thinking, and I have postponed my section hike with only 314.7 miles to go, until rain refills all the springs in Tenn and NC.

This year I counted at least (100 trail volunteer hours) for myself from Oct 1st, 2006 until Oct 1st 2007.
    My son enjoys meeting hikers from all around the world visiting with us, he and our dog NEMO was with me for at least 30 hours of the time I spent on if you want to keep that on record too.
    There is alway something to do if you really want to be involved on any section of AT as a maintainer.
    I spent some ertra volunteer time at Leroy Shelter to check the spring flow this summer....... and more time than that cleaning up empty water bottles at AMC trailhead parking area's.

I remember taking a hiker named "Castanets" to get stiches at Palmerton hospital early in the season, and still have lots of folks calling me about water sources due to drought situations in PA.
    Not to mention the extra time I spent at Little Gap trail head cleaning up empty water bottles this summer, plus time I spent on the phone with ATC, and Todd Remaley in Boiling Springs about trail magic trash problems on our 16 mile AMC section.

Wow,
    Happy New Year,.......... and God Bless Us Hikers........ Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanical Man View Post
    I was in Hot Springs NC 1st week in October, to hike on the AT, but came home early due to NO WATER at ANY reliable sources. Only 2 water sources in a 40 mile strech of trail North of Hot Springs, some hikers were getting off of the 35 mile section South of Hot Springs told me "DON"T DO IT", they were all going home to recover from dehydration.

I drove home 12 hours the next day thinking, and I have postponed my section hike with only 314.7 miles to go, until rain refills all the springs in Tenn and NC.
    If I had driven that far, I think I would have driven around and planted a few bottles of water for myself and others and hiked on.

Even if I did have to go back and pick up empties later.

yeah really. there's plenty of places to stash water north and south of Hot Springs

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Default I can wait

The springs will be running when I hike this section, I will wait until I can enjoy my hike.....................

Hot Springs is a great place to visit, just not when the River is at it's lowest level in a long time.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I section hiked the 100 mile wilderness this summer and hiked the Bigelows up to Avery Peak.

Kirby

Images

The trail was somewhat of a 'lifesaver' for me. My love for hiking exploded after being on the AT from Wayah to Fontana this year. It taught me it's okay not to be in control, to not give up, and that I am A LOT stronger than I ever gave myself credit for in the past. It also was what lead me to all you GREAT people here at WB-yes, even you LW .

THANKS AT!!!!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

This was the first year in many that I didn't hike a good distance on the AT. I walked down an unmarked blaze near Linden, VA with a maintainer friend, set foot on the AT, then turned around and walked out.

The AT always allows to to dream about trips yet had, recall memories, and talk to the friends that I've met along the way. This year was no exception.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++