WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Suunto???

Question Suunto???

anyone own a suunto alti watch? i may be interested in buying one, but wanted to see how good they work first. i'm looking at the core...

http://www.rei.com/product/760940

thanks
    Signed,
    Thirsty River

Quote Originally Posted by n.macek View Post
    anyone own a suunto alti watch? i may be interested in buying one, but wanted to see how good they work first. i'm looking at the core...

http://www.rei.com/product/760940

thanks
    I have the X-lander that's 6 years old now and it's still ticking. If you can afford them they're a great watch.

Images

I've got a Vector and just recently, it's started resetting itself to 6:00 a.m. Anyone ever had this problem. It's about two years old and I replaced the lithium battery about 3 months ago so I don't think that's the issue.

Other than that, it's a great watch and I recommend it.

(I hope this doesn't come across as a hijack -- that wasn't my intention.)
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
    I've got a Vector and just recently, it's started resetting itself to 6:00 a.m. Anyone ever had this problem. It's about two years old and I replaced the lithium battery about 3 months ago so I don't think that's the issue.

actually, it very well might be the battery! Or, water issue. Lot's of batterys off the shelf, are half run down. If you had it done at a place that doesn't do all that many of those type batteries, then that battery might have been discharged. OR, lot's of watches, won't be "good" without a new seal put in. That means, brakeing the seal to replace the battery, and not replacing the seal and now there is water in it.
    YMMV
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I've had a couple of Vectors when they first came out and an Advisor w/heartrate monitor for the past 4 years or so. Good multifunction if not a bit expensive.

Noticed it's not a fan of the cold. The display is pretty weak below 15*F and will kill batteries quick. Can't get a battery to last more than a year or so anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post

Mine started acting funky too so I replaced the battery. That didn't seem to help. I figured it was shot but then gave it another go with another new battery. That worked, like rhjanes mentioned. It is an oddball size battery, I have had trouble finding it before.

I have a Vector. I don't like this issue with the amount of batteries the watch eats. Could be different with a different or newer model. Mine is several years old. I think I would replace it with a different company's altimeter when it conks out.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty_River View Post
    http://www.rei.com/product/760940thanks

i got a Suunto Vector for Christmas last year...
    i LOVE it...
    catch them when theyre on sale...REI carries them & other Outfitters stores
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Default suunto

I have owned a suunto observer for 4 or five years - replaced the battery a couple of times and I am very pleased with it.
    Tim

Images

I have had the Vector for about 5 years now. Only one problem since new and that was the bezel falling off while I was in Kosovo. It may have been all the extra gear and such that we always carried, but Suunto replaced it with no problem. I love the watch and have used the altimeter and thermometer while on the AT.

I'd suggest that you check out the new Suunto Core model. It has all the features of the Vector, but they've added a mineral crystal face instead of plastic. From reviews, the Vector's face was easily scratched, such that even wiping it with a cotton cloth wasn't recommended. With the crystal face, you won't have that problem. It's a bit more expensive and about 10 grams heavier, though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post
    I've had a couple of Vectors when they first came out and an Advisor w/heartrate monitor for the past 4 years or so. Good multifunction if not a bit expensive.

Noticed it's not a fan of the cold. The display is pretty weak below 15*F and will kill batteries quick. Can't get a battery to last more than a year or so anyway.
    Same watch and cold weather problem if off my wrist. I haven't had a prob with the temp issue if I wear it. AFA the battery life. The low batt warning is generous. I have continued to wear mine for 6mos after the warning shows up. When the display gets dim I replace it. I have had mine for 5 plus years and it still works fine.

Uncle Sugar gave me mine so cost wasn't and issue.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

i would stay away from suunto. i've had the vector. major problem and poor customer service.

++ New Posts ++