WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! Tobit's Avatar

Default MadCat Generation 3 tarps

Anyone try out one of Brian's new Generation 3 tarps yet? I'm surprised by the number of tieouts, there are only six. However, I've never used a catenary cut tarp before so this might be ok.

I am also looking at Oware's FlatTarp 2, either the Spinnaker or the 30d version, because it appears to have a wider variety of setup options. I'm leaning towards the spinnaker, I've done a bit of sailboat racing over the years with Spinnakers so taking care of it shouldn't be an issue for me. Ideally, I want cuben fiber but I am not willing to pay the price.
    John Tobias (aka JT)

After going through Lyme disease, I don't want anything without bug netting.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I have a very light bug bivy.
    John Tobias (aka JT)

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

The Mac Cat Generation 3 tarps are very popular amongst many who frequent Hammock Forums. There are even instructions for a DIY version called the Black Cat. That tarp was origianlly intended for hammocking use (Smart kid for designing it), but I'm sure that there are those out there who have adapted it for ground use (Perish the thought).
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    That tarp was origianlly intended for hammocking use (Smart kid for designing it), but I'm sure that there are those out there who have adapted it for ground use (Perish the thought).
    Yeah, he has some pics of them ground mounted. However, it doesn't look like it'd do well mounted close to the ground, especially getting one end close to the ground for stormy weather.

I may just go with a spinnaker flat tarp. Tarp combined with my bug bivy would be just about 15 oz, exactly the weight I am trying to stay around.
    John Tobias (aka JT)

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Yeah, he has some pics of them ground mounted. However, it doesn't look like it'd do well mounted close to the ground, especially getting one end close to the ground for stormy weather.

I may just go with a spinnaker flat tarp. Tarp combined with my bug bivy would be just about 15 oz, exactly the weight I am trying to stay around.
    If you look closely at that photo, it's got a hammock hanging underneath it. The DIY Black Cat is essentially the same design, with a couple changes/improvements and is shown in its photo gallery adapted for ground use.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I've been happy with my MCCat.....no qualms
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    as if no one can get lyme disease if their shelter has bug netting

The craftsmanship of his MacCat is superb... I have used mine only on a handful of nights, but the winds on Mt. Rogers on 2 of those nights were probably 40 mph.... Didn't phase it..... Am thinking of selling it soon but not because of lack of satisfaction. It's the best I've personally owned, and I've had a few.

Images

I've been very happy with my MacCat so far.

Don't think I could ever use a hammock, I am also too heavy for most of them. The ones that'd support my weight, and height, weigh more than I am willing to carry. I'd have to go with something like the HH Explorer Deluxe A-Sym which weighs over 3 pounds. I'm 6' 3" and 285 pounds. I'll stick with a tarp, even a TarpTent Squall or Rainbow is lighter than that Hammock.
    John Tobias (aka JT)

I love mine! i used it with my hammock on my thru attempt this past year. I used it on the ground many nights. when it was warm or the wind was warm. I used it on top of one of the balds during a paticularly windy nite and the sides sure caved in but the shelter never blew over. i used my pea pod and a light weight sleeping bag on the ground and have been fine. I even made what is called a dodger for one end, it covers one end like a tent. I use my trekking poles for poles. It inspired me to order some sil nylon and make my own tent. well, i designed and my mother, a seamstress, is sewing it. using a velcro'd piece of tyvek for a floor and a velcro'd bug net door.
    bottom line is it is a GREAT tarp. I used it on stormy rainy nights and snowy nights and was always dry and warm. i had no trouble with anything blowing in the ends. of course i was aware of how i hung the hammock too.
    before washing your jeans shorts, pre-treat by throwing them away.

Great tarps. BGT review here.

++ New Posts ++