WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trail Runners

Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! Tobit's Avatar

Default Trail Runners

Pretty quiet around here lately so I'm going to start another thread.

This year, I am looking at trying trail runners instead of boots for the first time while backpacking. What kind of things am I looking for when shopping and are there any other tips?

I am currently looking at a pair of New Balance MT800's.

Thanks
    John Tobias (aka JT)

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

Hi John

I feel the same way. Very slow today at the store....economy???

Those New Balance MT800's sure do look cool. Bright colors and neat materials. C-Cap Midsole? N-Grip Outsole?Nlock? Ndurance? What could be better. Those shoes must have everything a hiker needs.

Precisely incorrect. The place to start is not with those cool-butt looking shoes. And I mean that sincerely. they are cool looking shoes. The place to start is fit. As with most cool looking trail running shoes, they come in a D width only for men. which means that if your foot is average width, you may be able to have them work for you. if you have a wide or narrow foot, forget about those shoes and find another shoe that is made in widths. Don't care if it is new balance, brooks, inov8 (their shoes are really cool) Nike or Asics. It is all about the fit.

peace
    mf

Shorthand to what is known to be comfortable: Montrail's. People who use 'em usually like 'em.

There is a rock climbing sneaker label, FiveTen, that makes a trailrunner with a grippy sole. Have only heard raves about that.
    Yahtzee

Images

I'm very picky about trail runners -- just ask my wife, who has to sit there in the stores while I try on everything in stock.

I've recently tried the MT800s, and ended up buying the New Balance 810 shoes instead. Great fit -- and the two models felt significantly different just walking around the store. Other shoes that I have liked: Salomon XA Comp, Montrail Hardrock, and the Salmon XA Pro XCR for winter use.

Fit is of primary importance. Also look for good breathability, traction, easy lace adjustment, and fashionable colors. (OK, you can skip the last one.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Mother's Finest View Post
    The place to start is not with those cool-butt looking shoes.
    Actually, I wasn't looking at the cool factor.. I think the color schemes are butt ugly. I was looking at various New Balance trail runners because, looking through the archives, a lot of people seem to like New Balance shoes. Maybe the New Balance "trail runners" are not the models I should be looking at then because they only make three "trail runners".
    John Tobias (aka JT)

I wore a pair of New Balance 907s last summer for about 350 miles. They served me well.

Is this the same NB 810 that a lot of people rave about for the trail?

- T
    John Tobias (aka JT)

well, I think they are cool looking anyway.

I can never wear shoes like that because I wear a EE width.

peace
    mf

Images

well, I think they are cool looking anyway.

I can never wear shoes like that because I wear a EE width.

peace
    mf
    Those NB 810s come in EE. Don't forget to check out their outlet. It's Joes NB outlet or something. You can find the Dunham brand (made by NB) on there for good prices with lot's of widths.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Call me a Montrail Hardrock fan...

They are now my "go to" shoe for hiking on trails.

One pair lasted from Boulder, CO to Grants, NM!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Greentick18d View Post
    Those NB 810s come in EE. Don't forget to check out their outlet. It's Joes NB outlet or something. You can find the Dunham brand (made by NB) on there for good prices with lot's of widths.
    thanks for the thought Greentick

my shoe gear is solid. my brand of choice is brooks. I wear the Dyad, because I need a neutral shoe with the type of orthotic I wear. for boots I wear Meindl (very wide toe box)

I was really lamenting the fact that throughout almost all brands, they never make the wild colors in wides. (I am not sure of the color scheme of the 810 though)

peace
    mf

Images

I'm a trail runner/sneaker guy.

Never much cared for the fit of NB. Make sure they feel good before purchasing. The cut always felt sloppy on my foot.

I used to be a Montrail guy but the quality/fit seems to have diminished.

I found the greatest sucess with Brooks running shoes. 2 pairs on the PCT got me a combined 1300+ miles this summer and I still use one pair to run in. Plus they make size 12.5

Check out Inov8 brand. They're a new brand to the market (I believe) that folks were raving about out west this summer. I know a few people who bought multiple pairs for their thru-hikers and didn't have complaints.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Journal Entries
    Images

News Flash!

There is a huge factory New Balance outlet store in Lawrence MA (south Union Street in the building with the Big Clock Tower) that has a bazillion trail runners for around $40 - $50. Much less in the bargain racks.

All sizes.

Worth a trip for selection alone.

RickB

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    News Flash!

There is a huge factory New Balance outlet store in Lawrence MA (south Union Street in the building with the Big Clock Tower) that has a bazillion trail runners for around $40 - $50. Much less in the bargain racks.

All sizes.

Worth a trip for selection alone.

RickB

Bummer. I'm still waiting for mine to wear out.

Journal Entries
    Images

As with most cool looking trail running shoes, they come in a D width only for men. which means that if your foot is average width, you may be able to have them work for you. if you have a wide or narrow foot, forget about those shoes and find another shoe that is made in widths. Don't care if it is new balance, brooks, inov8 (their shoes are really cool) Nike or Asics. It is all about the fit.

FWIW, my New Balance Trail Runners are 13 EEEE. I didn't buy another pair when at the outlet yesterday, but they had plenety on the shelf in that width. Also EEEEEE. Not sure about your particular model.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Good to know, thanks Rick.. only 30 miles from here. I have to wait a bit for my bank account to settle down, I ordered a bunch of stuff today.. tarp, pack, and various accessories. If I have play money left this month, I'll definitely head down there.
    John Tobias (aka JT)

Its hard to give advice on shoes, because all feet are all so different. Adidas are very comfy for me, I have a narrow foot. I don't like the NB shoes, other love them. Its just important to try them on to see what fits you best, and, if you switch out of boots to a lighter trail runner (which I have worn now for several years and would not switch back), its advisable to make sure you are also lightening your load. Runners are great with a lighter weight carried in your pack...but if you are going to carry over 30 lbs and then some, you will probably need more support.

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    its advisable to make sure you are also lightening your load. Runners are great with a lighter weight carried in your pack...
    Yeah, I agree. My pack will likely be in the 15 to 18 pound range at most, much less on week long trips. My "big four" are right around 4.5 pounds at the moment.
    John Tobias (aka JT)

I have INOV-310 flyroc and the 280 mudroc and love them so much,i got 2 more in box.

Default Montrails are my pick

Been hiking around in my Hardrocks and Namches recently. One is a low-top, and the other is a high top. Both fabulously rugged, and very comfortable. I really dig the fact that Montrail makes a size 12.5. If you like a thick mid-sole, you will love the Hardrock. If you need additional ankle support, the Namche may be a good bet. Not sure how well the Namches will do on the AT, because I live in CO, and it doesn't rain much here. But, I have worn the Namches with my snowshoes, and they have performed admirably. Both of these models are miles more comfortable (for me, anyway) than the old Vitesse. FWIW
    Wherever you go, you will find yourself there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++