WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you use treking poles?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I don't use any poles.I suppose as a kid in upper NY roaming gorges in summer and snowy hills in winter I learned to get around with things I would just tend to lose/leave behind. Then I was made to watch workers' comp avoidance "MoveSMART" videos about 12 years ago (recall mentioning this in another thread) which showed tips about moving on slippery surfaces and which were credited by my then-Fortune 500 employer with dramatic claim reduction moving on slippery floors, steps, etc. in its production facilities. The last video they made me watch was one that was done for the USFS.

Some tips I remember after all these years are:

Watch where your belly button goes (close enough to center of gravity for most folks). Belly button over feet is good. Belly button in front of feet is not good due to slipping causing knee and face plants. In the video's opinion poles are not good because slip or misplant inevitably causes belly button in front of feet meaning the fall is more injurious to knees or face.

Keep Your Crown - Look down with eyes not head, pretend you're wearing a crown on your head that you can't drop. Head weighs enough that looking with head not with eyes moves center of gravity in front of belly button thence in front of feet leading to front plant.

On a slippery surface, keep one foot planted flat under your belly button and move the front foot forward until the other foot's planted then shift weight to it. Imagine an invisible line pulling you forward, tied to your belly button.

Don't flail arms or put arms out for balance, that moves center of gravity away from your belly button to where you can't control it. Plus you then fall on your hand or wrist for expensive injuries.

Following these rules, if you fall you land on your butt then can get right back up again. I've got much experience with this too.

Quote Originally Posted by bredler View Post
    I'm curious to know, because I feel like they would help tremendously, but I'm not sure. What's the skinny on the poles?
    never have, never will

I would like to try Gossamer Gear ultra lite poles but I have komperdells which do the trick.

Yall must be doing sumthing different than me. When its real steep i'm grabbing saplings, bushes and rock anyway. Grab a stick to cross a creek.
    Just can't relate the need for 2 ski poles to hike...More power to ya.

I started to, because what vII did to my knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Yall must be doing sumthing different than me. When its real steep i'm grabbing saplings, bushes and rock anyway. Grab a stick to cross a creek.
    Just can't relate the need for 2 ski poles to hike...More power to ya.
    one word. marketing

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    never have, never will
    "Never say never'

Images

Well I'm pretty sure that I'm going to remain pole-less for the time being. I was just commenting because a lot of people say they like leki poles, but I've come to realize that most of them are in the over 30 crowd. I tend to do okay hiking without them and they might help me some, but it's too much money for something that I might not use.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Personally, I use the Black Diamond Contour poles with the Flik-Lok system for ease of adjustment. Works for me.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy nichols View Post
    "Never say never'
    i'll NEVER own, borrow or use hiking poles. simple fact

i'll NEVER own, borrow or use hiking poles. simple fact
    How do you explain this?

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    How do you explain this?
    those belong to mrc237. he made me pose with them just for the photo

sure. weenie.

Sure, sure, LW good story!

I hiked behind LW one time near a mountain on the trail. I saw him stumble on many rocks and fall down a few times.I thought he had been boozing it up.

Soon as it turned dark and when nobody could see him he stopped and pulled two hiking poles from his backpack.
    It was a full moon and I could see that he really enjoyed hiking with his shiny new Leki poles and he never slipped or fell once all night long...

jk

You forgot to mention that he held a gun to your head

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    You forgot to mention that he held a gun to your head
    yeah that too

I hiked without poles for a number of years but i'm glad i made the switch. I have a set of Komperdells that i love, they are great for ups and downs and especially stream crossings in winter when you REALLY don't want to fall in. Plus its easier to set up a tarp when you are carrying the supports with you.

Images

:banana

I would'nt think of going into the woods without my poles. I have the anti-shock which are also great on downhill, a great help on the knees. Just hike some on the AT and see how many thru hikers use them!! I bet close to 100% and those that don't start with them are using them shortly after they begin when they see the advantages. The foam grip are also eaiser on the hands and nice in freezing temps. I would stay away from anything hard rubber. Jay B.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay B. View Post
    I would'nt think of going into the woods without my poles. I have the anti-shock which are also great on downhill, a great help on the knees. Just hike some on the AT and see how many thru hikers use them!! I bet close to 100% and those that don't start with them are using them shortly after they begin when they see the advantages. The foam grip are also eaiser on the hands and nice in freezing temps. I would stay away from anything hard rubber. Jay B.
    i must be missing somethin'

I ain't got no gun ain't got no damn leki's
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++