WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

"... Criminologist Eric Hickey, director of forensic studies at Alliant International University in Fresno, California, said he expects Hilton's predatory behavior began well before October, 2007, when the erstwhile subcontractor is alleged to have abducted and murdered avid hikers John and Irene Bryant. Transylvania (North Carolina) County Sheriff David Mahoney said there is "no question" Hilton was responsible for the elderly couple's deaths. "It's almost unprecedented to see someone go from zero to what he did," Hickey said. "I'd suspect he could be linked to several other crimes."
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

I can't tell you guys how creepy he was when I met him in October (5 days before the elderly couple disappeared). I'm VERY glad that myself and the three other guys with me are all in good shape and were together. It really makes me second guess ever wanting to backpack solo.

All those articles Jan posted are scaring me; very disconcerting.
    Trillium

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    I'll stop if there's a wish for it.
    Just posting as a community service, as I set up a Google alert back in January.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Jan, thanks for the posts. I have a need/desire to know in order to bring this blunt trauma to my brain/heart to a place of healing. Very disconcerting, yes, but, if that was the reality, then let's face it. I do not expect any copycats, but I am now working through the idea that those people who have warned me and admonished me (going back to the Smokies in the early '70s) had some facts about disappearances that they were not just trying to scare me with--as in telling ghost stories around the fire at night. Also, knowing more honors Meredith. She suffered and then was murdered by a wolf who came on as a sheep. We don't have to fear him anymore (not that we even acknowledged beforehand that a person with his disorder could be out in our beloved woods). Her murder finished him. I thank her for that, but knowing more about him and his choices prepares me and the rest of us better to be wary, which I consider to be her gift to us. I prefer not to keep my head in the sand.--Former Ostrich Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Default Bryant memorial service

The Hendersonville paper has a story today on the memorial service for John and Irene Bryant:

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...brates_Bryants

It is far better to be informed on all aspects of the trail As a solo hiker with a dog I have learned much from this sad event,I was very carless of keeping my gaurd up when meeting others with dogs. I shall not be so in the future. My heart go out to all of the familes in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Fear can be quite motivating and very productive. The modern technique of the pistol harnesses the physiological response to fear and enables its practitioners to function and prevail in combat. Courage has been defined as the conquest of fear, not its absence. I would add that it can best be conquered by riding it like a wave. The alternative, to cower and bleat sheeplike, isn't worth consideration.

Please do keep posting Jan. This tragedy hit so many of us so hard, and I think it is a real service you are providing to keep us informed. It's not just a matter of satisfying curiousity, but a matter of making sense of a frightening occurence, learning something from it, and raising personal awareness for the future.

Thank you.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Thank you for posting the updates, Jan. While this material is extremely disturbing (I just got thru reading the 120 page transcript of Hilton's confession and it is ), it is necessary for some of us in the community to heal.

Images

Warren,

Stop posting to this thread unless you have an internet news link relevant to the case.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Warren,

Stop posting to this thread unless you have an internet news link relevant to the case.
    One of the chief posters on this thread asked me a question. I gave her an answer.

Maybe it would be more fair for you to say, "Please, no one ask Warren a question on this thread. PM him instead."

Either that or delete this post and your post since the all the posts in question have been deleted.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    One of the chief posters on this thread asked me a question. I gave her an answer.

Maybe it would be more fair for you to say, "Please, no one ask Warren a question on this thread. PM him instead."

Either that or delete this post and your post since the all the posts in question have been deleted.
    The poster got your answer.

I can live with you thinking I'm not fair.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by liminalgrey View Post
    CNN has posted a transcript of the GBI interview of Hilton (pdf): http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/ima...transcript.pdf
    that was quite chilling to read that...........

Images

Default Gary Hilton Vows To Fight Extradition To Florida

Story here. I'd post the text but there's a statement at the end restricting redistribution.

Short version: Florida wants Hilton, he doesn't want to go.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Story here. I'd post the text but there's a statement at the end restricting redistribution.

Short version: Florida wants Hilton, he doesn't want to go.
    I've been following this story in Tallahassee's newspaper. Hilton has refused to be interviewed by FL authorities unless they agree to not seek the death penalty. FL has said they plan to seek the death penalty. FL is in a much different situation than GA was and has no reason to make a deal with Hilton. The victim's body has already been found, a number of witnesses and other evidence place Hilton in the immediate area when Dunlap disappeared and prosecutors are strongly hinting some evidence from Hilton's van was helpful (but they aren't saying what or how). Hilton's only hope is to fight extradition.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    I've been following this story in Tallahassee's newspaper. Hilton has refused to be interviewed by FL authorities unless they agree to not seek the death penalty. FL has said they plan to seek the death penalty. FL is in a much different situation than GA was and has no reason to make a deal with Hilton. The victim's body has already been found, a number of witnesses and other evidence place Hilton in the immediate area when Dunlap disappeared and prosecutors are strongly hinting some evidence from Hilton's van was helpful (but they aren't saying what or how). Hilton's only hope is to fight extradition.
    I'm sure that he will try to fight extradition, but I think that as the Florida authorities are trying to elude to, that the evidence will be strong enough to grant a request from FL for extradition. Just because he fights it, doesn't mean it still can't happen. Hopefully it will. I think the NC authorities are looking at seeking the death penalty on him as well, aren't they?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

According to the story I posted Hilton's got 20 days to get a lawyer or the request for extradition will be granted. Evidently the judge considers the extradition request a civil matter and the court isn't required to appoint Hilton an attorney.

Unless something happens it looks like Hilton's Florida bound in a little under three weeks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    According to the story I posted Hilton's got 20 days to get a lawyer or the request for extradition will be granted. Evidently the judge considers the extradition request a civil matter and the court isn't required to appoint Hilton an attorney.

Unless something happens it looks like Hilton's Florida bound in a little under three weeks.
    Surely some attorney will take it if only for the publicity.
    Skids

Some lawyer that is against the death penalty will take it. They found stuff that linked him to the murders here when the cop ran him out of olouste park. They have movies of the stuff. Florida will spend a bunch of money and never kill him. If it was my kid he killed I would still want them to try.

Clyde

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++