WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Default suggestion for security on the trail

Based on the unfortunate events unfolding around Blood mountain .... I would like to make a suggestion that everyone make a habit of jotting down the license plate numbers of other cars they see in trailhead parking lots.

The past year has shown that some crazies are looking to the trail as a good place to hunt for victims.

We, the other hikers on the trail, need to form a sort of "neighborhood watch", fitting nicely with the way that hikers tend to look out for each other already.

If a bad guy thinks that there's more than an even chance that someone will take note of his license number at the trailhead, then it's that much less likely that this disturbing trend of crime on the trail will continue.

So .... just so that everyone knows .... I'll be making a habit of taking a picture with my camera phone of other cars at whatever trailhead i visit, including their license numbers, from now on, on every trail I visit.

If nothing else, It would be nice to know what other cars were there if you return and find your car vandalized .....

other opinions are welcome.

Images

I hike and trail run alone - Colorado, Texas, Ohio, soon sections of the AT. I have thought about this case all day and what I can do. She was hiker experienced, a runner, left a note, martial arts and a dog... this would seem to be good, to be enough. I'm sad (and pray for everyone touched). I'm also pissed. The implications to me as an alone female is disconcerting. I just want to enjoy the outdoors and not be fearful. Alas. I plan to always leave a note at my house, tell family where I'm hiking; buying mace; always have my cell phone; watch surroundings; don't be so trusting of others; put my security above my natural tendency to be friendly and nice. It's a hard lesson to learn. If someone has other suggestions, please add.

Good idea Cap'n. I probably should start doing this when I park anywhere. A few weeks ago someone pushed a shopping cart up against my car, and a couple of weeks ago a unsecured sign blew into it. It would have been nice to have a way of determining if the people parked near me saw anything in both of these cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasgirl View Post
    I hike and trail run alone - Colorado, Texas, Ohio, soon sections of the AT. I have thought about this case all day and what I can do. She was hiker experienced, a runner, left a note, martial arts and a dog... this would seem to be good, to be enough. I'm sad (and pray for everyone touched). I'm also pissed. The implications to me as an alone female is disconcerting. I just want to enjoy the outdoors and not be fearful. Alas. I plan to always leave a note at my house, tell family where I'm hiking; buying mace; always have my cell phone; watch surroundings; don't be so trusting of others; put my security above my natural tendency to be friendly and nice. It's a hard lesson to learn. If someone has other suggestions, please add.
    A 9mm automatic or a lightweight 38special and plenty of range time with professional instruction in combat pistol craft/tactics. All the things you listed won't help you if the evil day greets you, it may aid in recovering your corpse.

Carrying a gun won't keep anyone from being lured into a van and then bludgeoned to death by a convincing lunatic before he or she has the chance to react.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    A 9mm automatic or a lightweight 38special and plenty of range time with professional instruction in combat pistol craft/tactics. All the things you listed won't help you if the evil day greets you, it may aid in recovering your corpse.
    It's well over a million to one you'd ever need a gun to protect yourself on he trail. Most people will take their chances.

That said, even long distance hikers don't like camping near roads, because of the problems with locals, so for a day hiker it may make more sense.

Images

When one of the guys on my old team retired (that would be Bob dG, Glen) we gave him a little 5 shot 22LR revolver. Don't weigh but a few ounces. Won't stop a bear but would work well on a mad dog or a two legger bent on doing you harm. As noted in post 4 practice practice practice.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Thumbs down

Wow. All I can say is that while you're busy assuming that every car parked at the trailhead belongs to a potential criminal and is worthy of photographing, I'll be out hiking, enjoying the scenery. And I'll let you in on something: the person arousing the most suspicion at a trailhead is going to be the fellow lurking in the parking lot taking pictures of all the cars.

Journal Entries
    Images

From my own experience, if someone has you as a target and is determined to "get you" all of the evasive tactics you use may or "may not" help you survive.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    I'm sure that Texasgirl will find that very reassuring.

Let's face some facts here. No matter what we do to ensure our own safety as hikers, there are no guarantees that even if we do everything perfectly, even if we all were to carry a firearm, that we wouldn't be injured or even killed by someone we meet on or near a trail. They already have an idea what they're going to do; we on the other hand are usually caught off guard and surprised when the unthinkable happens. All that we can do is evaluate the risks and decide how we want to prepare to meet them. If carrying a firearm is the only thing that will keep your peace of mind, then that's what works for you.

But try and keep things in perspective. Despite all the media coverage these events receive, just how at risk are hikers for these kinds of crimes? I would have to say the risk is pretty low, so low that it isn't worth dwelling on every time you think about going hiking. By all means be wary of people you get a strange feeling about, but don't let the actions of a very few destroy your enjoyment of the outdoors.

But that's just my way of thinking. Come to your own conclusions.

[quote=Jimmers;492589]I'm sure that Texasgirl will find that very reassuring.

Let's face some facts here. No matter what we do to ensure our own safety as hikers, there are no guarantees that even if we do everything perfectly, even if we all were to carry a firearm, that we wouldn't be injured or even killed by someone we meet on or near a trail. They already have an idea what they're going to do; we on the other hand are usually caught off guard and surprised when the unthinkable happens. All that we can do is evaluate the risks and decide how we want to prepare to meet them. If carrying a firearm is the only thing that will keep your peace of mind, then that's what works for you.

But try and keep things in perspective. Despite all the media coverage these events receive, just how at risk are hikers for these kinds of crimes? I would have to say the risk is pretty low, so low that it isn't worth dwelling on every time you think about going hiking. By all means be wary of people you get a strange feeling about, but don't let the actions of a very few destroy your enjoyment of the outdoors.

But that's just my way of thinking. Come to your own conclusions.[/quot

This is the smartest advice I've read so far.

Here we go again.

Images

When the president of the United States goes for a walk, he's surrounded by a team of alert, highly trained and well armed professionals. He's still not 100% protected. Your best defense, especially for women, has always been your brain. Do what you need to, but don't let any other security measure turn that off.

Images

Probably the best thing you could do is leave your itenary with someone, including an ETA back home.

The truth is that the things we love about being out in the woods (ie solitude, getting 'away' from it all), create the perfect conditions for a predator. You can't really have 'security' AND solitude. We just have to realize that with hiking comes risk ( as with almost any activity that's worth while).

Take steps to reduce that risk, but realize that danger will always be part of freedom.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    I'm sure that Texasgirl will find that very reassuring.

But that's just my way of thinking. Come to your own conclusions.
    Jimmers,
    Great way of thinking!!!!

I think that if we are going to stop this. We need to start with our children. Prep them over and over. Never stop teaching safety.
    The other way to stop creeps, never hike alone and always confront (in a friendly manner) odd acting people at the trail head in groups. Be friendly but let people know that they have been seen. Removing their anonymity, I think, will deter them.
    And if you are wrong about their intentions, then the lone hiker might be happy to have met new, friendly people who would be able to get them help should something bad happen to them!
    Because the Journey is not just a begining and an end...

My Thru Hike

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    From my own experience, if someone has you as a target and is determined to "get you" all of the evasive tactics you use may or "may not" help you survive.
    That is BS, people fight back every day and win, the press doesn't report it. If you've already decided to be a victim you've sealed your own fate. Our country wasn't founded or built by people with your defeatist mindset.

THere are few guarantees in life, you are right in the regard, except the guarantee that'll you'll have your arse handed to you if you are unprepared.

A few rules I have followed I hike alone 98% of the time. I don't mingle I don't hike to make friends . I avoid contact on most trails if possible,I rarely stay at a shelter and usualy stealt camp. I don't carry a gun but I do carry a knife and anytime the hair on the back of my neck rises I have it in my hand I have a dog that responds to a one word attack command. I have never had to defend myself on any trail, I have used these defence methods in urban surroundings.I will not stop hiking alone and I will not hike in fear.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy nichols View Post
    A few rules I have followed I hike alone 98% of the time. I don't mingle I don't hike to make friends . I avoid contact on most trails if possible,I rarely stay at a shelter and usualy stealt camp. I don't carry a gun but I do carry a knife and anytime the hair on the back of my neck rises I have it in my hand I have a dog that responds to a one word attack command. I have never had to defend myself on any trail, I have used these defence methods in urban surroundings.I will not stop hiking alone and I will not hike in fear.
    HEAR,HEAR!

I enjoy hiking alone much more than in a group. I will not stop. I will, however, have a more careful and suspicious attitude towards other hikers.

Last year I met another hiker on the LT, we met and hiked together for a while. When I think back, I realize that I hiked in front of him most of the day ( about ten yards), that could have been the end of me right there.

I'm taking this recent tragedy as a wake up call to be more aware of my position relative to others. Anyway, I hike to get away from you people so there is no reason to socialize or hike near anyone.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcquest View Post
    Anyway, I hike to get away from you people so there is no reason to socialize or hike near anyone.
    That's one approach, I suppose....

I'm not that way. I almost always hike alone, but I prefer having company at camp. 24, 48 hours or more without speaking to another human... gets kinda weird, IMO.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++