WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to give up on the idea of a Colorado spruce. There's non-native, there's invasive and there's a difference. Colorado spruce isn't going to take over North Georgia and displace native vegetation as a result of a memorial tree planted at a road crossing. It depends upon where it might be planted too and the rules that apply at that location.

I read in an artilce that she was born in the south (SC I think) and moved to colorado while in high school. I am not sure the tree would hit the mark. We really are just throwing things out there with out much reguard for her families wishes. Maybe we should slow our roll and let some things settle before we make big plans? (this may come off as being a jerk, but I don't mean it that way, tone is hard to decipher on a message board)
    Stumpy

You can never go wrong with butter or bacon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Im going to politely disagree with Alligators idea of a Colorado tree...

Reasoning... far too many plants that are not native to a given area can take over in time, becoming non-native invasive species. Florida has the pepper tree, Alabama has Chinese Privet, lots of SE states have wild hogs... none of these are indigenous to the areas they are now found in and are pushing out the native vegetation..

Sorry Gator...
    I'm not committed to this idea, whatever the majority seems to favor. I understand (very much in this area I might add) the concern over non-native species. I do think however, that there might be sufficient knowledge of the behaviorof some Colorado species in the GA area to understand any potential risks.

There is also the possibility of planting a dioecious (male or female) tree, if a suitable candidate could be found.

But even a native tree would be kind.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I partly agree with Stumpy...

No rash decision on what to do. I dont think we necessisarily need input from the family (I dont mean that to sound so harsh!) This honor is coming from Meridith's hiking family. Im sure her College family is doing something and theres probably other "families" that she belonged to that are also doing something to honor her.

I think something along a hiking line is appropriate from us. We can include the family and let them know what we are doing, and I am sure they will love it!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Before any plaques, benches, memorials, trees, etc. can be put in place there will be state and federal hoops to jump through.
    Also her immediate family may have similar ideas. We should wait and see what they may or may not do

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I read in an artilce that she was born in the south (SC I think) and moved to colorado while in high school. I am not sure the tree would hit the mark. We really are just throwing things out there with out much reguard for her families wishes. Maybe we should slow our roll and let some things settle before we make big plans? (this may come off as being a jerk, but I don't mean it that way, tone is hard to decipher on a message board)
    what i was thinkin'

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ agreed.

Nothing should be done with out the full support of her family
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

walkin' and pedalin' through life pedal's Avatar

Whenever we do the first hike, I think it would be befitting to do it annually on New Years Day, the day she went missing.

SS

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leeki pole View Post
    Good idea, but I don't know if a Colorado Spruce could survive in that climate. Pretty hot and humid in the summer.
    I'd rather not dwell on this idea excessively and that's all it was. I don't know the USDA zone for Blood Mountain and the nearby area, but I'd guess it's 5. Colorado spruce is probably the most commonly planted ornamental evergreen where I live in eastern Pennsylvania (USDA zone 6).

Douglas-fir thrives here too. I once worked for a man who's father was the first person to plant Douglas-fir in the east for Christmas trees. They do just fine here.

A native flowering tree like dogwood, serviceberry, silverbell, redbud or others should be considered too.

If an evergreen native tree is desired a female holly might fit the bill.
    Last edited by emerald; 01-08-2008 at 17:07. Reason: Added holly as another idea for consideration.

Several ideas could be developed and presented to her family at an appropriate time. The family had a spokesperson, I think it was mentioned on the news. That might be a good contact person?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by pedal View Post
    Whenever we do the first hike, I think it would be befitting to do it annually on New Years Day, the day she went missing.

SS
    May 26th/Memorial Day would be fitting then every January 1st.

Images

Theres not a lot of hiking in the summer in the south... Since alot of us are looking to get out anyways, what about a 6 month "anniversary?" First weekend in July. I know its hot then, but it would give time to plan/organize/get the word out. And at 6 months, it would revive what most likely will have faded off the radar...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

The intent of this thread is simply get ideas, and perhaps a volunteer willing to coordinate the effort.

From there, I think it would be appropriate that once we give everyone who wants to propose an idea, we should have a poll consisting of maybe the top 10 or so ideas that were proposed. Maybe let this thread run thru the weekend and then do a poll.

Naturally Meredith's family should approve of any proposed memorial. My suggestion would be that we take the top 2-3 ideas and have someone that knows them contact the family and ask which they would prefer be done. That way if they are thinking of a plaque or memorial themselves, they can make the choice to either let it be done by WhiteBlaze donations or let us know that they would prefer something else.

Again, this is just free flow ideas since so many here expressed interest in doing something. The thread gives us a place to keep it all together.

Anyone who doesn't want to participate in a concerted effort is naturally free to choose their own method of expressing their sympathy (flowers, donations to designated funds, etc.).

And of course, if a concerted effort is deemed inappropriate, that's okay too. Again, it's just an effort to keep all ideas in one place.

And, by the way, there have been some wonderful ideas brought forth. Thank you to all who have contributed ideas so far.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    As nice & well meaning as it sounds....we DONT NEED plaques on or near trails!
    send flowers or donate to her local hiking club in her memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    My thoughts on sooner, rather than later, for the hike would be a symbolic show of strength - showing the trail still lives, as does the memory of Meredith. Nothing will keep hikers away. I think it would be good to do while it is fresh in everyone's memory. From there, an annual memorial event on New Year's Day would be great.

I agree with LW on the route.
    I'd love to get together a hike on the day they bury her in Colorado. Really show our support to the family and make a statement about taking back the trail. Do it soon.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

sorry about putting Jaybirds post in there, didn't realize i had hit it
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I really like the idea of a hike over Blood Mtn. in memorium for Meredith. This community of hikers could really help the healing process of the family (as well as those of us that this tragedy has so affected) if this is their wish. Just keep us posted on plans.

Over 4,500 miles hiked on the A.T.

I'm not super active on these forums (i did thru-hike twice though!) but I think these ideas are great. Would love to be a part of something like the hike. I wonder if her family has considered starting some kind of charitble foundation?

Images

I would think it's entirely too soon for her family to be thinking about such things.

I think there have been several great ideas and I think the family's wishes should be honored. I like LW's hike idea alot.

My 2 cents: If we all decide to do a planting, bench, plaque or whatever....it may be easier to have a deserving young man incorporate the actual construction into an Eagle Scout Service Project. The powers that be(Forest Service, etc) tend to be more accepting of things like this when they are incorporated into a community service project.

Maybe the GATC could help us find such a young man and we could finance the efforts with WB member donations.

Quote Originally Posted by chelko View Post
    I think there have been several great ideas and I think the family's wishes should be honored. I like LW's hike idea alot.

My 2 cents: If we all decide to do a planting, bench, plaque or whatever....it may be easier to have a deserving young man incorporate the actual construction into an Eagle Scout Service Project. The powers that be(Forest Service, etc) tend to be more accepting of things like this when they are incorporated into a community service project.

Maybe the GATC could help us find such a young man and we could finance the efforts with WB member donations.
    Also keep in mind that a Girl Scout could also do something like this as a Gold Award project. Either a Boy Scout or a Girl Scout or even a joint effort could work.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++