WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Default honoring Meredith

I like the ideas of an annual hike and contributing to a charity that Meredith would have supported. Also, the idea of revamping Blood Mountain Shelter and renaming it in Meredith's honor is awesome. I only wish I lived much closer to there at this point. Count me in on a donation, whatever gets worked out.
    mini-m.

Images

If we're going to have a shelter on Blood, then it does need fixing and it would be a great way to get funds to do so by using donations to build something in her name as remembrance. With Woods Hole shelter so close (along with other camp areas), I don't think another shelter is really needed, although I'd certainly donate if others think thats a good idea.

I do think that an annual NYD hike, especially a pet-friendly one, would be something worth organizing. I'd gladly donate to purchase flights for the family to attend. I like LW's itenerary of the Freeman Trail around then up and over Blood.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

I'm not big on plaques, or memorials ON the trail, but a bench in the Byron Reece Mem. parking lot with her name on it would be nice. The hike is a great idea - more sooner than later.

I wouldn't name a shelter to honor anyone. Just my 2 cents worth.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I like LW's itenerary of the Freeman Trail around then up and over Blood.
    my thinking is by doing this loop we'd walk in her last physical footsteps and envelop her spirit

Images

Default All good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Mosey View Post
    I like the ideas of an annual hike and contributing to a charity that Meredith would have supported. Also, the idea of revamping Blood Mountain Shelter and renaming it in Meredith's honor is awesome. I only wish I lived much closer to there at this point. Count me in on a donation, whatever gets worked out.
    I love all of this as well. And I agree to the hike being later in the year when it's warmer. More people would go.....and I hate the cold!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I love all of this as well. And I agree to the hike being later in the year when it's warmer. More people would go.....and I hate the cold!

My thoughts on sooner, rather than later, for the hike would be a symbolic show of strength - showing the trail still lives, as does the memory of Meredith. Nothing will keep hikers away. I think it would be good to do while it is fresh in everyone's memory. From there, an annual memorial event on New Year's Day would be great.

I agree with LW on the route.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Images

Default Nyd!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Sorry, but I think it serves to honor her better to have it be a NYD event, not when its more convenient to others. Might keep the overall numbers down which might not be a bad thing. Now, if the family wanted to participate at a time that was more convenient to them, then I'm all for that.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Someone needs to buy Mrs Baggins a down jacket. Any volunteers?

Images

I think that is a great idea Lone Wolf- maybe as some others have suggested, make it an annual event and raise money perhaps for a charity. Perhaps one of her friends or family could join and bring Ella along?( Of course if they felt appropriate)

I like LW's idea of a plaque right on top of Blood Mtn.

walkin' and pedalin' through life pedal's Avatar

Default A Similar Idea

Jenny Ewing, who was murdered on the Silver Comet Trail in 2006, is remembered each year with an "Annual Jenny Ewing Memorial Ride" on the Silver Comet.

The story from SafeAlone.org:

On July 25, 2006, during the middle of the day, Jenny Ewing was riding her bike
    on the Silver Comet Trail in Atlanta. She had her cell phone with her and was
    also equipped with pepper spray. Someone came out of the woods, dragged
    her off of her bike and back into the woods. Jenny was strong, and she fought
    back scratching and even biting her attacker; however, he ultimately brutally
    assaulted her and then beat and kicked her to death. Jenny was vigilant - she
    was safety conscious and intelligent. She still didn't have a chance. Because
    of this tragedy, my family is committed to making public places safe again.
    Many people have voiced the concern that people should not go out in public
    alone. Jenny should have been safe alone. No one should have to worry about
    being alone in a public place. We should take back our community parks,
    playgrounds and recreation areas. Violent criminals are scaring people back
    into their houses. It is time for citizens to scare the criminals out of our way.

And what they are doing:

The Jenny Ewing Silver Comet Memorial Ride was designed to raise money for a permanent memorial for Ewing at mile marker 17, where her body was discovered in July.
    Link to website :http://safealone.org/home.html

Also from Jenny's sister:

My name is Paige Slocumb, and I am Jenny's sister. My family is starting a fund
    to affect changes in how people feel about being alone in public places through
    legislature that will lead to stricter penalties for crimes that occur in a public
    place, as well as funding allocations to allow for better patrolling of these areas.
    We are also looking into shortening the time between sentencing and
    punishment in death penalty cases. Plus, in order to get a sentence of life
    without possibility of parole, the prosecutors have to try for the death penalty.

SS

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    My thoughts on sooner, rather than later, for the hike would be a symbolic show of strength - showing the trail still lives, as does the memory of Meredith. Nothing will keep hikers away. I think it would be good to do while it is fresh in everyone's memory. From there, an annual memorial event on New Year's Day would be great.

I agree with LW on the route.
    You're right of course I would go regardless of the weather because it's too important not to. My only request - I've had tickets for the National Symphony concert for Feb 15th for almost 4 months. I really don't want to have to skip that. Pricey tix and guests going with us........
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

I also agree with LW that re-tracing her exact steps would put the hikers more in tune with her memory and a more intense experience. Even though I still sway back on forth of dogs on the trail, making at least this one dog friendly seems appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Chaco View Post
    I like the bench at the trailhead best. Maybe once we get a few ideas and find out what's possible and approved we can have a poll. But I think we should take some time and give it some thought first, and prior to doing a poll.

Images

Default What would Meredith want?

I like the idea of a plaque on a rock cairn.

Having said that, what would Meredith want? Naming a shelter might not be appropriate for a tent camper who disliked shelters. I never met Meredith, and am not saying she disliked shelters, but, I am saying, be careful that what you do wouldn't be against her wishes.

I would love to have a memorial somewhere where people remembered me as they passed... but the posters who don't like memorials on the trail wouldn't. What would Meredith want?

I'm apt to get shot here, but I don't know why my local schools, etc. were named after the people they were, nor who Byron Reese is.

But, as a part of WB, and a female hiker with a labrador retriever, I'll pitch in for whatever the group decides to do.

I'd already decided my dog and I were going to hike the Freeman Trail, which I probably might not have ever heard much of, were it not for Meredith's story. I had decided to do that as my respect to Meredith, since her friends said that was one of her favorite trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Chaco View Post
    Agreed. I'm in with the donation and the hike, long drive but well worth it. If I can bring my Lab, in her honor and memory.

Images

I don't care for the idea of a plaque along the A.T. any more than I like the concept of roadside memorials.

I would also like to point out that shelters are impermanent structures that some here think should be removed. What message would it send when someone here rants "burn them all down?" I think it would be more meaningful symbolically to rename a trail if that were possible without renaming a trail so named to honor someone else.

That said, any proposed memorial that would become a permanent part of the Georgia A.T. should be done through GATC and l'd think that would require Chattahoochee National Forest's blessing and approval by at least the district ranger. Is not Blood Mountain situated in a designated wilderness? That might be an important consideration. I also wonder was Meredith a GATC member?

I believe WhiteBlaze should do something that will perpetuate her memory and promote what she valued in the course of her short life. It might be most fitting for us to do something that would benefit others who walk where she did. I don't have a clear idea what that might be.

Regardless, WhiteBlaze should endeavor to act respectfully toward her family, friends and all who were touched by her life. Everyone here has a role to play and it is one of the best things we can do to honor her memory now.

Here are some random ideas I thought I'd delete before posting, but I'll post them too since there may be something here of value.

Perhaps some sort of living memorial at the parking area mentioned? Dogwoods and/or or other native flowering trees and naive flowering shrubs and perennial wildflowers and a small, tasteful plaque simply with "In Memory of Meredith Emerson" with year of birth and death below it or alternatively Meredith Emerson Memorial Garden. I wonder, is the facility at Neels Gap leased by CNF or privately owned and whether it might be a better alternative in that A.T. hikers and more people generally might view what would be planted? Of course, there would be no point in planting anything if it wouldn't be cared for properly.
    Last edited by emerald; 01-08-2008 at 14:16.

The state of Georgia owns the building and land at Neel gap

Did she consider herself a Colorado native? Born there I don't know? Perhaps a native Colorado tree planted in her memory would honor her and symbolize her transplanted status.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

The hike. of course. The reason I see it as a New years day event

Her last hike in this life was on NYD
    ( she will be with us in spirit and up on those lofty trails she now runs and hikes) ,

the event happened on new years day-unfolding into a horrible outcome-that desicrated the trail and saddened, for one group, the hiking community

therefore- darkening the trail and the pursuits along it .

ENTER THE HIKE
    is to symbolize that her peers in hiking will "RE-TAKE" this trail and release the path of the dark gloom spread about it that day.

We will symbolize her movements by hiking in the path she would take

maybe the first time this is done there would be a dedication to a plaque/bench

AS an aside (maybe further efforts on a warm weather date such as a living memorial)
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++