WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I didn't start using a filter until about 10 years ago, before that I just drank what I found. Currently I'm using a old Pur/Katadyn Hiker, broke two handles and on my 8th or 9th filter cartridge. Last year the whole set up froze solid rendering the nearly new cartridge useless and so I had to boil water the rest of my trip.

So, what works in zero temps? Boiling, I guess. Don't wanna go the chemical route, iodine/chlorine, etc. Would the steripen work at zero degrees? Most of my water needs can still be fulfilled by dipping the jugs in the nearest spring, but sometimes I have to treat it, especially on big creeks and at heavily used sites.

It is always about what lies beyond the end... Javasanctum's Avatar

Someone in another thread suggested the nifty idea of using an in-line fuel filter to extends the life of a Hiker-Pro cartridge. Apparently the size is just right to splice into your intake tube. I hope to test this idea to allow me to use water sources that I would otherwise avoid to protect the filter.

I use the steripen with the little pre-filter. The pre-filter makes sure you don't get grit. I pour the water into it with a ziploc bag. The steripen then removes everything - bacteria, virus, & protozoa. Man, now I sound like a sales pitch. But I do really like that method and it is very light!

Images

Called the manufacturer for the new MSR pump, will be coming out Mid February I was told!!
    MEDIC

While I was thru-hiking, I started out with a katadyn but soon sent it home. I then used those drops for awhile. But to tell you the truth, if the water was coming out of a spring I would most likely do nothing to it. Now if I had to get water from a stream I would treat it with drops.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MamaCat View Post
    I use the steripen with the little pre-filter. The pre-filter makes sure you don't get grit. I pour the water into it with a ziploc bag. The steripen then removes everything - bacteria, virus, & protozoa. Man, now I sound like a sales pitch. But I do really like that method and it is very light!
    My wife Roots and I just recently bought the steripen with the pre-filter and it is awesome.

I googled the MSR Hyperflow and some sites say available "Spring 2008"...I hope it isn't getting delayed again. I need a filter and I've been waiting for this one to be released so I could check out the reviews and then get one if they are decent.

Filter wise, for lightweightness, Katadyn Mini is great. I had it for awhile. YOu need some muscle to work it, but it really gets the water clean. Ceramic filter does need ot be cleaned pretty often, but it get alot of stuff out. I really haven't heard good stuff about MSR Sweetwater. Hiker is a little bit heavier, but heard it works pretty good. For me, Mini is really good. Hard to find, but cheap and worth it.
    A t-shirt never made:
    I only do what the White Blazes tell me to do.

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

I have both the Sweetwater and Katadyn Hiker. When I filter from any questionable water source I double filter. Benn very pleased with both of them.

I am thinking however of maybe getting the Aquamira, I have seen this work. While I find the weight and packed dimensions a better fit than a regular filter...I still dont know if I want to give the filter up.

I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Any thoughts on the filter by ULA?

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Sweetwater - light, easy to pump, field cleanable

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

I usually use AquaMira, but when I filter, this is the one I use.
    Definately my choice, classic gear. I've used the kitahdyn hiker and it is too hard to pump.

The MSR Miniworks offers the real world advantage of being truly field cleanable, is a very reliable filter and you have the peace of mind that knowing it will work all of the time. It may weigh a little more, and it may take a little longer to pump, but peace of mind is a priceless commodity.

Images

I carry a Nalgene wide mouth bottle so I can dip the water then let it settle. Then filter off the top 2/3. This has made my Katadyn Hiker Pro go alot farther.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaCat View Post

What do you do in very dark (brackish, tannin ) filled water? Have got the s-pen but have been reluctant to use it on some Fl trail water.

I use the MSR MiniWorks. It is a bit on the heavy side. I have listened to the ole philosophy of don't worry about filtering and have got burned more than once. For me having a super reliable, field cleanable, easy to use filter I always bring this, it hasn't let me down yet. Filter lasts forever and if it gets clogged it is cleanable on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by ofthearth View Post
    What do you do in very dark (brackish, tannin ) filled water? Have got the s-pen but have been reluctant to use it on some Fl trail water.
    I haven't come across water that looks that bad -- I am usually filtering out of a running stream/ trickle -- will the pre-filter not get out the particulates? It gets out the mud of the water I sometimes get. If not, then steripen themselves says that if the water is not somewhat clear, the pen does not do a good job sense the light reflects on the particles. I would try the pre-filter. If it doesn't work, you might need something else for swamp water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++