WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How much AT have you hiked, and were you armed?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Good guy/girls also are the one's who don't carry. . .

Images

I carry a big knife and never have had to use it for anything but sausage and getting to dry tinder.

I just couldn't see myself packing a gun. I just stay away from the camps that are near roads, and I don't tell strange, pack-less, crazy eyed, freaky people where I'm going.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

I do carry a firearm when hiking, and it's certainly not for any of the four-legged critters that I may stumble across. As for a knife....unless you are trained (and yes, I am) in martial arts you are much more likely to cut yourself or get it taken away from you and used on you. I work at a large outfitters and quite often have youngsters come in and drool over the knife display case, then ask me which one of these nasty looking serrated bladed knives is the best for self defense. Recognising their inexperience, I always tell them the same thing.....get the swiss army "hiker" model with the saw. Cut a small sapling down and sharpen a point on it to make it a 9 foot spear. Put the knife back in your pocket. Now you have a proper self defense weapon for someone with little or no proper training.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    I seriously doubt that scenario. You take the knife and I can assure you I'll likely use the weapon first
    I am retired now but I was a trainer for a law enforcement agency for 10 years. 9 times out of 10 the knife guy wins.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Default Armed and Dangerous

Does my pocket knife count as being armed? If so, I'm packing.

Images

I am a 23 year Special Agent with a federal law enforcment agency. During this time I have been trained as a firearms instructor, have taught marksmanship, tactics etc. I am currently an operational supervisor. As such I hike armed. I am armed most of the time. My job requires me to be armed quite a bit anyway. Most of my friends are LEO's and they are armed. I don't have any jurisdictional issues about where or when I can carry.

My firearm is concealed at all times. I never tell anyone I am armed (until now). No one would know I was armed unless they tried to kill me, a family member or a colleague. I try not to look or act crazed or demented. I am fully aware of the responsibility associated with being armed and I accepted that responsiblity when I took this job. My firearm, whether I am on the clock or off, is there as last line of defense.

I do worry about others carrying guns, but I am not out enforcing firearms laws while I am hiking. I am out to enjoy nature and have fun. Which, I always do.

I've seen a couple people mention firearms for self defense while hiking the AT. Regardless of what anyone tells you, keep in mind, you are ultimately responsible. Whether you're defending yourself or others from another person(s) or an animal(s), or you screw up somehow by, I guess, by dropping it or something and it goes off, you are the only one responsible for the firearm, and your actions. Best advice for anyone carrying on the AT is carry it concealed IF you are licensed, research and know the reciprocity states and laws in the States you're traveling through, and keep it concealed. Don't broadcast that you have it by showing everyone or telling everyone like a two year old and if you are uncomfortable carrying, please do not carry because you'll only endanger yourself and those around you.

Images

i would go out of my way to avoid the gun toters on the trail. it seems ex cops, cops, hunters or military[not all] are the big boys that brag and carry heat. exclude the hunters and they are all trained for situatios that could result in some sort of physical dilemma but rather carry heat to boost the ego and have the power. i cant understand why someone would need a gun unless they are scared of the boogie man. i just dont get it, leave the gun home there is no need for the firearm.......but i could be wrong...
    Last edited by nitewalker; 02-06-2014 at 07:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus9890 View Post
    I've seen a couple people mention firearms for self defense while hiking the AT. Regardless of what anyone tells you, keep in mind, you are ultimately responsible. Whether you're defending yourself or others from another person(s) or an animal(s), or you screw up somehow by, I guess, by dropping it or something and it goes off, you are the only one responsible for the firearm, and your actions. Best advice for anyone carrying on the AT is carry it concealed IF you are licensed, research and know the reciprocity states and laws in the States you're traveling through, and keep it concealed. Don't broadcast that you have it by showing everyone or telling everyone like a two year old and if you are uncomfortable carrying, please do not carry because you'll only endanger yourself and those around you.
    Hey Gus.... Being a newbie, you did well to find a "gun thread" that didn't get closed. (red band) This is a hot button topic on WB. It usually doesn't end well. You're making some excellent points in your post. I just think it's one of those personal options just like anything else you carry or don't carry on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    i would go out of my way to avoid the gun toters on the trail. it seems ex cops, cops, hunters or military[not all] are the big boys that brag and carry heat. exclude the hunters and they are all trained for situatios that could result in some sort of physical dilemma but rather carry heat to boost the ego and have the power. i cant understand why someone would need a gun unless they are scared of the boogie man. i just dont get it, leave the gun home there is no need for the firearm.......but i could be wrong...
    A lot of people feel just like you do nitewalker. BUT, the BEST thing about your post is .. I could be wrng with the smiley face in it! I'm so using this from now on.... LOVE IT!!

Images

Thank you HikerMom. I need to cover my tracks on what i may say on this site. Im not one that likes geting into giant debates on a forum but I do read most of the threads. I learned how to navigate around the masses so that I can eventually fade away from a thread without being noticed, lol......Most of what I say is just my opinion but on occasion I come up with some jems of my own..By the way, I would like you to know that you are a great influence to this site with your always positive upbeat attitude.. thank you!!!
    Last edited by nitewalker; 02-06-2014 at 12:17.

Thank you HikerMom. I need to cover my tracks on what i may say on this site. Im not one that likes geting into giant debates on a forum but I do read most of the threads. I learned how to navigate around the masses so that I can eventually fade away from a thread without being noticed, lol......Most of what I say is just my opinion but on occasion I come up with some jems of my on..By the way, I would like you to know that you are a great influece to this site with your always positive upbeat attitude.. thank you!!!
    Aww... that's a mighty kind thing for you to say about me. I appreciate those kind words so very much. I'm far from perfect, tho. Just sayin...
    I recognize you as a poster on the site. Thanks for your participation nitewalker. You've definitely had a lot of gems that you've shared on here. I think it's safe to say that everyone "nails it", like we like to say. Thanks again! :>)

Thank you very much HikerMom58, its good to see nice, helpful people on this site. I'm still trying to navigate around but I've learned quite a bit and I'm just trying to help before I take on my hike.

It's always anti-gun vs pro-gun with rarely anyone, from either side, trying to see the others side of the story. That only ends up causing the one-sided opinions, bias, stereotypes, fear, and ignorance of the laws. It's really not that hard, we have a lot of experienced AT hikers here (and some that have hiked in other places), some carry, some don't. Too easy, if someone asks if they can carry (and they're licensed), find out why they want to carry (city slicker afraid of the woods, person afraid of animals, afraid of people, afraid the boogie man is going to get them, afraid they'll run into a rabid pack of girl scouts, etc.) and educate them with that experience.

Thank you again HikerMom58

Carrying while hiking is no different than carrying while anywhere else. As long as you're doing it legally, have had the proper safety training, and are aware of the reciprocity status of the states you are traveling through, I don't care if someone carries or not.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

The only issue I have with guns is the weight, I'll carry when S&W comes out with a dehydrated version.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    The only issue I have with guns is the weight, I'll carry when S&W comes out with a dehydrated version.
    special model for light AT hikers p3 AT:

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/p-3at/pistol/

-

I have 2 arms, so yes I guess I hike armed - not like I cut them off for hiking…. hmmm, that could be an UL strategy

-

you can go out of your way to avoid the incompetent bigmouths - anyone who knows what they are doing… you will be none the wiser

Quote Originally Posted by Gus9890 View Post
    Thank you very much HikerMom58, its good to see nice, helpful people on this site. I'm still trying to navigate around but I've learned quite a bit and I'm just trying to help before I take on my hike.

It's always anti-gun vs pro-gun with rarely anyone, from either side, trying to see the others side of the story. That only ends up causing the one-sided opinions, bias, stereotypes, fear, and ignorance of the laws. It's really not that hard, we have a lot of experienced AT hikers here (and some that have hiked in other places), some carry, some don't. Too easy, if someone asks if they can carry (and they're licensed), find out why they want to carry (city slicker afraid of the woods, person afraid of animals, afraid of people, afraid the boogie man is going to get them, afraid they'll run into a rabid pack of girl scouts, etc.) and educate them with that experience.

Thank you again HikerMom58
    You are welcome Gus!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Carrying while hiking is no different than carrying while anywhere else. As long as you're doing it legally, have had the proper safety training, and are aware of the reciprocity status of the states you are traveling through, I don't care if someone carries or not.
    This may be a first but I agree with Hot Flash! Woot! :>)

This may be a first but I agree with Hot Flash! Woot! :>)[/QUOTE]

I agree with you both, though not for the first time.
    I also greatly appreciate the well trained and disciplined who carry concealed both on and off the trail everyday. They make the world a safer place. I can't thank them personally because you never know who they are. Just knowing they are around is good enough for me.

Images

shooting over texting and popcorn before the movie started. nobody can predict when someone will snap. everyone in the theatre could have a gun but yet not be able to stop what happened. it happened to quick. guns are great but having a gun in the wrong venue could result in unthought consequences.. a petty arguement led to a RESPONSIBLE ex cop to shoot a guy point blank over nothing...those of you that carry need to imbed this little story into your minds so that something similar doesnt happen to you. im sure 98 percent of you are fine but the other two percent are unstable. just sayin, lol........BUT i could be wrong!!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/justice/florida-movie-theater-shooting/

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++