WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How much AT have you hiked, and were you armed?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Images

I don't understand what you mean when you say guns are great.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Images

Nitewalker, I think you spend much more time thinking about guns than I do. And I carry one. And I don't spend my day giving it thought, except when I have to adjust the cant occasionally. Otherwise our of sight out of mind. Do you fantasize about the car keys in your pocket?

Images

just bringing up a point. it flashed across the tv screen as i sat here earlier today. so i decided to post that for some to think about. 12 pages and i have three posts about guns. i suppose you may call it obsessing. guns are great if u use em correctly.....and why are you obsessing over my 3 comments?? i forgive you, lol....

Images

I'm not obsessing over them, just confused by the choice of words and the above you would appear, as a non gun owner to give those that do own, even more so appearing to give advice to those that carry. you make the assumption that hunters aren't either properly trained or don't have the same abilities with a firearm as cops or military. Many hunters are former of both. There are many cops and military guys that aren't nearly as accurate as I am, mostly because many only shoot the minimum necessary to qualify. I am just as concerned over the Tampa movie shooting as you are, perhaps more so if he had a concealed carry permit because as a FL resident it also reflects on me. But the % of crimes committed by those that legally carry amount to less than 2 % as shown by a 5 year study in Broward county. That is technically a statistical insignificance in any formal statistics gathering, although I am sure that man's widow would make a fine argument against that. My point is that when a none gun owner makes statements while giving advice like, "guns are great" or "why need a gun unless afraid of the boogie man", then your advice will never be received by the very audience it's intended for. I'm not trying to argue pointlessly with you, just hoping you can give me something a little more substantial to chew on. I'm not a gun freak. Noone knows I carry outside of a few loved ones. Most of us that do realize that we could not have stopped that man from getting shot, but...i feel fairly comfortable that had that ex cop decides to shoot someone else, my daughter would not have been one of them as a result of my carrying. For Christ's sake, the victim collapsed on the child of another man, that's how close he was to that child.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    just bringing up a point. it flashed across the tv screen as i sat here earlier today. so i decided to post that for some to think about. 12 pages and i have three posts about guns. i suppose you may call it obsessing. guns are great if u use em correctly.....and why are you obsessing over my 3 comments?? i forgive you, lol....
    I'm not obsessing nitewalker, just pointing out that when you use phrases like "guns are great" and "why would you have one unless you are afraid of the boogie man" they are seen as nonsensical statements that have now immediately closed off consideration from your target audience of anything else that may have potential merit. Those are pot stirring words and you lose credibility with them. Just my perspective. The only people that know I carry are my loved ones. And in response to your observation that cops and military guys have more training than hunters, beside the fact that a good percentage of hunters are, or were, one or both, I feel confident that I have much more range time than many cops or military members. All the training in the world isn't very useful if you don't actual fire your weapon on a regular basis. I'm not trying to be adversarial, and I do enjoy a healthy debate. I am only pointing out that your chosen words are probably not going to come across with credibility to those whom you want to engage in the discussion. But... I could be :-) wrong.

Gun owner-yes. Carry on AT-No. Your poll is fine with me. Those saying otherwise can simply ignore it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fins1838 View Post
    Gun owner-yes. Carry on AT-No. Your poll is fine with me. Those saying otherwise can simply ignore it.
    The creator of the poll has not posted on WB since 2008.

Images

Sorry for the double post. It appeared as though my first didn't "catch". Which is also why the 2nd isn't verbatim

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    Sorry for the double post. It appeared as though my first didn't "catch". Which is also why the 2nd isn't verbatim

I've had that problem before, as well, RCBear.

I just looked at all the recent posters on this thread. I feel like I "know" you guys/gal. You are all good people, awesome contributors to this site. We try not to judge unfairly, to respect/accept others opinions etc. There's a lot to be said for talking it out... I'm a huge fan of that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I've had that problem before, as well, RCBear.

I just looked at all the recent posters on this thread. I feel like I "know" you guys/gal. You are all good people, awesome contributors to this site. We try not to judge unfairly, to respect/accept others opinions etc. There's a lot to be said for talking it out... I'm a huge fan of that.
    And I am a huge fan of yours Hikermom! You always bring "good" to this forum, which in turn brings stability to the "hot" topics. Sometimes we get a little overzealous and we neer hikerMOM to sort us kids out ;-)

Images

I am ex-military, and I am a gun enthusiast. I do carry concealed, and I don't carry because of the boogey man, or because I'm afraid. I carry simply because it's my right to do so as laid out in the constitution of the United States of America. That's it. That's the reason. I fought for it, I was ready to lay down my life for it, I volunteered to put my life in harms way whenever my country needed me. All for that founding document. It's because of those choices that I will exercise every right I possibly can, and I would hope every American would do the same so as to honor every military member before me and after me that made those same choices for every citizen of this country.

Images

PS- I wont carry on the AT because I'm thru-hiking and I don't have amnesty in all states so it would not be legal. Otherwise I would.

i have a glock, but I leave it at home. Weighs too much for backpacking. More likely to get struck by lightning, get lyme disease, or catch hypothermia than get attacked by a bear or crazed redneck.

Journal Entries
    Images

Both .... over 500 before I figured it was a waste of weight and the fact getting it into play would be too difficult. Haven't packed since maybe 1980's. Over 3000 unarmed Obviously, if you carry make it a wheegun.
    Last edited by lemon b; 02-10-2014 at 07:27.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    shooting over texting and popcorn before the movie started. nobody can predict when someone will snap. everyone in the theatre could have a gun but yet not be able to stop what happened. it happened to quick. guns are great but having a gun in the wrong venue could result in unthought consequences.. a petty arguement led to a RESPONSIBLE ex cop to shoot a guy point blank over nothing...those of you that carry need to imbed this little story into your minds so that something similar doesnt happen to you. im sure 98 percent of you are fine but the other two percent are unstable. just sayin, lol........BUT i could be wrong!!!!!

He was NOT a "responsible ex-cop".
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    And I am a huge fan of yours Hikermom! You always bring "good" to this forum, which in turn brings stability to the "hot" topics. Sometimes we get a little overzealous and we neer hikerMOM to sort us kids out ;-)

Aww.. thanks RCBear.. I'm a huge fan of you & gizzy bear too.

Foresight gently told me that I shouldn't try to be the "kindness police" on threads anymore. Thanks Foresight!

Trolls are trolls, whether they are trying to bring about "kinder/gentler" comments or trying to "stirring the pot". So, you "kids" are on your own. I love y'all!!

RC bear i live in the Orlando area as well, know of any good local hikes? I've been to a few of the State Parks that were not bad.
    Don't worry about it, just do all you can and let the rough end drag.

Images

Hi Preacher, the little econ trail is ok and part of it is also part of the FT as well. To be honest, outside of getting up into the ONF, I have been doing some overnights in recent months along different stretches of the Withlacooche river from Green Swamp up to around Inverness/Dunnellon just because I love the prehistoric nature of the river. I hear their is some good hiking in the titus/christmas area to the east of Orlando but I haven't checked those out yet. If you are looking to replicate some of the terrain of our states to the north, strap on the pack and get up to Clermont about 20 mins west. Good hills and Sugarloaf will rival ANY incline along the AT. I do that area primarily as a warm up to hikes in GA, NC, TN areas.

By all means, please share any that you enjoy with me as well. Wekiva Springs also has a series of loops including a 13mil through typically scrub pine, saw grass and some swampy conditions with primitive camping along the Wekiva river. It's nice at the right time of year. Meaning now

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    special model for light AT hikers p3 AT:

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/p-3at/pistol/
    I'd probably be more accurate thowing a flat rock.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'd probably be more accurate thowing a flat rock.
    accuracy is not terrible, main problem is after about 3 rounds the trigger guard has chewed the skin off your finger - if you ever had a real reason to use it, that would be minor

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++